A few Syracuse football tidbits for those new to the team

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some high level Orange info for those who are interested. Feel free to ask anything else if you are curious. And this is just the opinion of one Orange fan but I think most of the below is generally agreed upon, though probably not all.

• Syracuse has an above average defense, one that was borderline elite over the first half of the season. Ultimately settled in about the top 25 area, with injuries playing a role in that. When healthy the secondary is exceptional and the LB are very strong as well. As is stands now, still very capable, especially when an opposing offense is super one-dimensional, but I'm slightly worried about the ability to defend the Minnesota run given some of our losses. Lots of folks will need to step up. Lots here is going to depend on who plays and who decides to sit out. We have some exceptional players on the D with Sunday chances, as I know Minnesota does. If Minnesota begins running all over the team early, it's a big red flag. If the D keeps that at least somewhat in check, its a good sign.
  • Offensively, this team was at its best earlier in the season when it was running an open, diverse offense that used the entire field, used the tight end in the passing game, used the intermediate passing game. Tucker is very good as a RB, but when we overly rely on the running game, and short passes only, and too much of the offense is concentrated within 6-8 yards of the LOS, we tend to stagnate and get highly predictable. That happened way too much during the 5 game slide. Gadsden has emerged as a legit weapon at WR/TE but when Shrader tries to force it to him, the offense tends to falter. A big part of that was due to an injury to QB Garrett Shrader, which was was nursing for a number of weeks. The last game of the regular season, vs BC, he started to show flashes of the early season downfield game, so the hope her is that he is on the mend and a few more weeks of rest can only help. But we'll likely know after 2 series of or so which version of the offense we will have.
  • The offense also tends to get into a weird place from time to time where it manages to be super risk averse, yet still will only get Tucker like 8 rushes in a game. It's hard to explain, but we will have a game where we don't throw a pass more than 10 yards downfield, yet still only get Tucker 8 rushes. If Tucker plays (your guess is as good as mine), he needs to run more. Not like 25 times...I think a great Tucker game is 15 rushes and 6-7 receptions....but not 8. If Tucker doesn't play we will still be run focused, and LeQuint Allen, who is the RB heir apparent, will be featured heavily. Allen is going to be a special RB, and can be a weapon if he ends up starting, but the backfield for now is certainly better with Tucker leading it.
  • Our coaches are historically bad when it comes to time management. Wasted timeouts. Timeouts left on the table. Long chunks of time run off the clock before timeouts called. I can't remember a game in which at least one time management mistake wasn't made.
  • Syracuse has a unique ability to look like the best team in America one half and then completely revert. Heck, it can even shift quarter to quarter, or drive to drive. The talent is there to a large extent but the consistency is not. It's a big reason why they couldn't close out the Clemson game IMO.

Last edited:

• Our coaches are historically bad when it comes to time management. Wasted timeouts. Timeouts left on the table. Long chunks of time run off the clock before timeouts called. I can't remember a game in which at least one time management mistake wasn't made.

7375bt.jpg

Attachments

• 1670244801941.jpeg
    1670244801941.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1

Just wanted to share some high level Orange info for those who are interested. Feel free to ask anything else if you are curious. And this is just the opinion of one Orange fan but I think most of the below is generally agreed upon, though probably not all.

• Syracuse has an above average defense, one that was borderline elite over the first half of the season. Ultimately settled in about the top 25 area, with injuries playing a role in that. When healthy the secondary is exceptional and the LB are very strong as well. As is stands now, still very capable, especially when an opposing offense is super one-dimensional, but I'm slightly worried about the ability to defend the Minnesota run given some of our losses. Lots of folks will need to step up. Lots here is going to depend on who plays and who decides to sit out. We have some exceptional players on the D with Sunday chances, as I know Minnesota does. If Minnesota begins running all over the team early, it's a big red flag. If the D keeps that at least somewhat in check, its a good sign.
  • Offensively, this team was at its best earlier in the season when it was running an open, diverse offense that used the entire field, used the tight end in the passing game, used the intermediate passing game. Tucker is very good as a RB, but when we overly rely on the running game, and short passes only, and too much of the offense is concentrated within 6-8 yards of the LOS, we tend to stagnate and get highly predictable. That happened way too much during the 5 game slide. Gadsden has emerged as a legit weapon at WR/TE but when Shrader tries to force it to him, the offense tends to falter. A big part of that was due to an injury to QB Garrett Shrader, which was was nursing for a number of weeks. The last game of the regular season, vs BC, he started to show flashes of the early season downfield game, so the hope her is that he is on the mend and a few more weeks of rest can only help. But we'll likely know after 2 series of or so which version of the offense we will have.
  • The offense also tends to get into a weird place from time to time where it manages to be super risk averse, yet still will only get Tucker like 8 rushes in a game. It's hard to explain, but we will have a game where we don't throw a pass more than 10 yards downfield, yet still only get Tucker 8 rushes. If Tucker plays (your guess is as good as mine), he needs to run more. Not like 25 times...I think a great Tucker game is 15 rushes and 6-7 receptions....but not 8. If Tucker doesn't play we will still be run focused, and LeQuint Allen, who is the RB heir apparent, will be featured heavily. Allen is going to be a special RB, and can be a weapon if he ends up starting, but the backfield for now is certainly better with Tucker leading it.
  • Syracuse has a unique ability to look like the best team in America one half and then completely revert. Heck, it can even shift quarter to quarter, or drive to drive. The talent is there to a large extent but the consistency is not. It's a big reason why they couldn't close out the Clemson game IMO.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by. Enjoying reading your posts.

😂 I was literally about to post this exact meme! Honestly, the teams sound very similar in many ways beyond timeout usage too: relatively good defense, risk averse offense that's at it's best when they push the ball down the field (even if it's against their better instincts), etc. Please share more, OP. Why/how did Syracuse lose so much after that great start? Inability to stop the run? Stagnant offense? Injuries?

😂 I was literally about to post this exact meme! Honestly, the teams sound very similar in many ways beyond timeout usage too: relatively good defense, risk averse offense that's at it's best when they push the ball down the field (even if it's against their better instincts), etc. Please share more, OP. Why/how did Syracuse lose so much after that great start? Inability to stop the run? Stagnant offense? Injuries?

2 big factors for me

1- The schedule got tougher. Despite the narrative, not all of the early seasons wins were against crap teams. Louisville, NC State, Purdue, and Virginia were all quality wins. And heck, UConn is going to a bowl game. But it absolutely shifted to another gear with a series of tougher opponents, most ranked, most on the road. Clemson was the first of them. And we were THIS close. IF we win that game, who knows what happens next.

2- Injuries were a killer. Shrader missed time at QB, and then when he came back he was badly limited. Babers scaled back the offense badly, leaned on the D way too much, and they didn't get nearly enough offensive support. We've also lost other key players for stretches, or even for the season.

I don't know if Syracuse will return to its early season form for the Bowl game, but I suspect they will be much better than they were in that 5 game slide with the time to get healthy, and better game plan with what they have left to work with.

They sure do. I wonder how many fans across the country would describe their teams pretty much the same way.

The odd thing about us that we might have described ourselves differently in 2019 than we would since that time even though we have the same coaches now that we had then.

@FreakTalksAboutOrange Are there any key seniors that may sit out the game an instead focus on preping for the draft?

TBD. There will likely be a few. Bergeron (OL) probably will sit out. Tucker is a real TBD (I suspect he tests the draft but he is coming off a slightly down year relative to 2021 so there's always a chance he comes back, or at least wants to try to have one more good game on national TV). I'll let you know as I hear others.

This isn’t Dwight Freeney, Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb and Jim Brown is what I’m reading.

Freak - thanks for the info.

Ironically, a lot of what you said about 'Cuse could also apply to the Gophers.

Conservative coaching. Risk averse. Time management and use of time-outs. these have all be issues debated during the season by Gopher fans.

and now, several players including at least one regular on defense have entered the portal. no word yet on whether any Gophers will sit out the bowl to prepare for the NFL.

On paper, it could be a fairly even game.

and Freak - FWIW - I have a niece who lives in Syracuse. Her husband graduated from Syracuse Law School and now works for a law firm in Syracuse.

TBD. There will likely be a few. Bergeron (OL) probably will sit out. Tucker is a real TBD (I suspect he tests the draft but he is coming off a slightly down year relative to 2021 so there's always a chance he comes back, or at least wants to try to have one more good game on national TV). I'll let you know as I hear others.
Thanks @FreakTalksAboutOrange. PJ talks about bowl games being the start of the next season vs. a cap on the existing season, but in reality, I think he coaches the game more toward it being the latter. We'll play our starters well into the 4th Quarter even if it's not a close game. On our side, if I were Mo (and obviously I'm not) I'd sit this one out and focus on getting healthy for the NFL combines. I'm guessing he will play though. I'm also going to guess that Tanner Morgan will not play. Other than those two, I think you'll see a full line up of starters (and Tanner Morgan hasn't started for us in a few games).

Last edited:

Well good luck to everyone, hope both teams say healthy and the Gophers win by 10 to go 9-4 for the 2nd year in a row. Then we can all come back here and bitch about PJ and the team even though he'll have gone 29-10 over the last 3 full seasons and 17-10 in the B10. Would have been unthinkable 10 years ago to think that. :)

Freak - thanks for the info.

Ironically, a lot of what you said about 'Cuse could also apply to the Gophers.

Conservative coaching. Risk averse. Time management and use of time-outs. these have all be issues debated during the season by Gopher fans.

and now, several players including at least one regular on defense have entered the portal. no word yet on whether any Gophers will sit out the bowl to prepare for the NFL.

On paper, it could be a fairly even game.

and Freak - FWIW - I have a niece who lives in Syracuse. Her husband graduated from Syracuse Law School and now works for a law firm in Syracuse.
I worked with a Syracuse Alum years ago. He was from here. He loved the experience.

I used to follow Syracuse. They've had some very good teams over the years. I expect this to be a very good game.

I hope that we don't need two defensive touchdowns to win.

Is this fan talking about Syracuse or the Gophers? 🤨

I appreciate your contributions here, Freak. One of my best memories on this board is when an Alabama fan (CrimsonBama) hung around for a while before the 2003 Music City Bowl and educated us about the Tide and took the time to learn about us.

He retired from football 24 years before I was born.

Yes, well... the world did exist before you and I were born, and it will still turn after we are gone. We can, and perhaps even should, be cognizant of things that happened before our time.

Davis died of leukemia at age 23, never having played a game in the NFL.
He was the first Black Heisman winner, and, had he lived, would have been paired with another Syracuse player (Jim Brown) in the Cleveland Browns backfield. Some may have heard of Jim Brown.

But, yeah... it was before the invention of the smartphone, so...

Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, and Floyd Little mark the holy trinity of legendary old school Syracuse RBs who played in our National Championship era.

They all wore the #44. That number has massive tradition at Syracuse and for decades it was considered an honor to wear it, and was one of the few recruiting tools we had to try to attract players to our mid-sized cold-weather northern football school. And then we had a moron of an Athletic Director named Daryl Gross who decided that the best thing for the program was to retire the number. He was an idiot.

Thanks for the post, I didn’t read it, but thanks. This game doesn’t move needle for Gophers, we will more than likely win in big fashion, but if we don’t, it’s not a big deal as it’s just a low bowl game and we’re looking forward to next year. Take the win like you did back in 2012 as a Super Bowl type win and move on, a win for us is just blah.

Thanks for the post, I didn’t read it, but thanks. This game doesn’t move needle for Gophers, we will more than likely win in big fashion, but if we don’t, it’s not a big deal as it’s just a low bowl game and we’re looking forward to next year. Take the win like you did back in 2012 as a Super Bowl type win and move on, a win for us is just blah.
😂 I see what you did there, but this will be reposted on the Syracuse board in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Top Bottom