"A combination of Treyton Thompson and Pharell Payne will be the X-factor of this team." | Gopherhole

I'm surprised to see speculation of Treyton Thompson starting. I hope he does, but Ben seemed very reluctant to use him last year.

I'm surprised to see speculation of Treyton Thompson starting. I hope he does, but Ben seemed very reluctant to use him last year.
He couldn't defend anybody last year. If that hasn't changed his minutes will be limited.

Has anyone heard if he gained weight and strength?

He's going to be your typical big man who needs a few years to develop his body before he becomes a solid contributor.

Tony tries hard and provides some information but...
The quote in the intro are his words not from a coach or player or anybody else.
He has Henley in the 9th slot forecasting little playing time. Just Ben's comments, literally 5 seconds of a team video clip and I'm betting Henley is a significant contributor.

It would be great if Thompson can contribute but if he starts as Tony hints, something has gone wrong.

Tony tries hard and provides some information but...
The quote in the intro are his words not from a coach or player or anybody else.
He has Henley in the 9th slot forecasting little playing time. Just Ben's comments, literally 5 seconds of a team video clip and I'm betting Henley is a significant contributor.

It would be great if Thompson can contribute but if he starts as Tony hints, something has gone wrong.
I listened to Ben speak recently. Two things he said stood out:
1. You are who you defend. You are correct 60's Guy, Thompson was unable to defend anyone last year and unless he improves that, he won't play much.
2. He said it is pretty likely that two frosh will start. I assume that is Payne and Carrington....of course he didn't say that. I just don't see Samuels starting much or Thompson.

man just seeing this breakdown.....how nice would it have been to have 1 of Fox/Ihnen healthy to play?? dang it

I assume that is Payne and Carrington....of course he didn't say that. I just don't see Samuels starting much or Thompson.
I'm hoping that Samuels is good. He had some good games last year.

Agree that is deceptive.

Would be like if I started a thread titled: "Ben Johnson may be considering quitting after this season" - Gophers_4life

He couldn't defend anybody last year. If that hasn't changed his minutes will be limited.
Agreed that he struggled defending last year, and he also didn't rebound for his size, showed no skill at scoring inside, had poor ball security, and wasn't able to put the ball on the floor and drive. Bigs like Thompson will take longer to develop, but if he's starting this year either we're in big trouble or the the Gopher staff develops players better than anyone in history.

I’m guessing at 8 or 9 for TT in the rotation.
Edit:meaning 3rd or 4th man off the bench

Last edited:

If he can defend okay I'll say 18

agreed - Fox and Ihnen would have been in the top 7 or 8 players. Not sure if both would have started, but both would have played major minutes.

That changes the rotation.

my guess - and this is just a guess - we could see different lineups depending on the opponents. against some teams, Payne might start. against other teams, I could see a 3-guard lineup with Cooper, Samuels, Carrington, Battle and Garcia.

I really don't see Thompson starting many games, but he has to give them minutes off the bench. how many minutes and in what role depends on the opponent.

I'd be SHOCKED if TT starts this season.

Would be nearly as surprised if Samuels started.

It'll be Cooper/Carrington/Battle/Garcia/Payne.
Agreed. I know the Ihnen and Fox injuries changed some things but Carrington/Henley will start over Samuels. TT has more to do with Payne just being that good but I could see him get a token start are two. I just don’t see that happening with Samuels and will be surprised if he plays more than 15 mpg.

Typically a player's biggest improvement comes between his freshman and sophomore seasons...

we seem to be paying for good photographers

Top Bottom