6:30 PM game time?

Mark in Chicago

Reaction score
Does anyone know the reasons why? Nation exposure? Good or bad for fans, team, conditions?

Maybe there is some value in already playing and capturing viewers who tune in a 7 ish and find those games don't kickoff until 7:15 but hey this game already started....

I love the prime time slot. Fans will be lubed up including me. Got friends in the Ski-U-Mah lot prepping a chow spread. Can't wait.

Coyle wanted to eliminate following excuses for lame Gopher fans:

I’m deer hunting.
I’m duck hunting.
I’m fishing.
I have my kids soccer game.
I have my daughters dance recital.
We have youth football.
I have to rake leaves.
We are driving to see fall colors.
I have to take the dock out.

I’m deer hunting.
I’m duck hunting.
I’m fishing.
We have youth football.
I have to rake leaves.

Haha. But now there will be 10k no shows as the temperature will be under 50...too cold.

When that chili temp poll comes out this week, I will be taking my rating up a few notches.

Soooooo thankful to have a night game at TCF Bank Stadium as games are nearly always more fun at night and this promises to be as meaningful of a game that has been played there in a long time, maybe ever.

The Gophers having struggled with Georgia State means nothing this season should ever be assumed and Nebraska has looked very average this year but this still has the opportunity to be a signature win of sorts within a year where the Gophers have continued to improve.

Minnesota has never played Georgia State in football.

That said, “the struggle” was based on two freak plays and included an outstanding, last second, game winning drive by Minnesota’s outstanding QB. Georgia Southern thought they had the game won and Morgan drove a stake right in their heart. That’s cold, but that’s what winners do.

Minnesota has never played Georgia State in football.

That said, “the struggle” was based on two freak plays and included an outstanding, last second, game winning drive by Minnesota’s outstanding QB. Georgia Southern thought they had the game won and Morgan drove a stake right in their heart. That’s cold, but that’s what winners do.

Your sarcasm detection meter is badly broken as the Georgia State/Southern joke has been an ongoing one here in Gopherhole for quite a while.

Also, did you know there can be night games in the B1G all season now?

I guess everyone has a different definition of the word “struggle.” In my world, coming from behind in a game’s final seconds qualified as a “struggle” and if it doesn’t in your world, that is okay.

I’m deer hunting.
I’m duck hunting.
I’m fishing.
We have youth football.
I have to rake leaves.

I’ve always laughed at these “excuses”. Weird how no other schools’ fan bases have these conflicts. So, so, funny - and lame.

What is PJs record in night games?

First year:
Win vs Buffalo
Win @ Oregon St
Loss v Michigan St
Loss @ Iowa
Loss @ Michigan

Second year:
Win vs NMSU
Win vs Fresno St
Win vs Indiana

Third Year:
Win vs SDSU
Win @ Fresno

7-3 (1-3 in B1G) .. 1-1 in B1G at home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope it's a sea of gold and maroon and just a small smattering of red, although the Nebby fans are great have had many a good conversation with them...even had a big group of them come tailgate with us as they didn't know how to get to the stadium and they wanted to get some chow and drinks before hand. We had so much damn food and booze and our group finally convinced them to stay. After a bit they said they said to a man they were nervous because of how badly they were treated by our neighbors to the East we all laughed and told them how they were the worst and we all had similar experiences. After that it was like lifelong friends and they told us to contact them when we head to Lincoln so they can return the favor. Haven't made it yet but plan to go next year.

I’ve always laughed at these “excuses”. Weird how no other schools’ fan bases have these conflicts. So, so, funny - and lame.

It’s because we’re located in a major metropolitan area, I guess.

Not sure I'd say no other schools have that problem. The Gophers program hasn't been good enough for people to make it a priority every weekend like many of the more successful programs.

I love night games ! We will be there hoping for less red in our section.

Doesn't TV dictate pretty much every start time? 6:30 CT is 7:30 ET, by the way...which is a juicy start time.

I am very glad to get a home night game. It puzzled me for years that the Gophers couldn't get a home night game while teams of similar records and stature did even though we had rivals either trucking in portable lights or using lights that seemed to have the equivalent wattage to a dozen birthday candles while have a stadium that opened in 2009 with has lighting that is as modern as can be and constantly got overlooked.

The Big Ten's TV deals call for at least six prime time games on either ABC or ESPN and up to another 9 games on Fox, FS1 or BTN. Unlike years ago, the games are no longer set before the season. That way if a team comes up like we are in 2019, they can get a game in prime time. The conference needed a game to air at night and our good performance and Nebraska's relative recovery this season, fan support, and history got us the spot.

Years ago Nebraska fans used to fill the Dome when they came in because of all the armchair fans, Minnesota born Nebraska alums who came home, other Nebraska fans who moved here, and traveling fans who in many cases followed the team here and elsewhere because getting seats in Lincoln was and still is so difficult. When Nebraska first joined the Big Ten, the place filled up in 2013. In 2015 with the extra end zone bleachers for the Vikes, the game drew a sellout of over 54,000. However in 2017 the game didn't even officially draw more than 40,000 and the actual crowd was much less. Between the Gophers playing well and the Huskers being 4-2, the game ought to draw okay, but between the thrashing dealt out to them by Ohio State and the lack of any quality wins, I'm not expecting Nebraska fans to take over or for the game to even sell out.

I am very glad to get a home night game. It puzzled me for years that the Gophers couldn't get a home night game while teams of similar records and stature did even though we had rivals either trucking in portable lights or using lights that seemed to have the equivalent wattage to a dozen birthday candles while have a stadium that opened in 2009 with has lighting that is as modern as can be and constantly got overlooked.

The Big Ten's TV deals call for at least six prime time games on either ABC or ESPN and up to another 9 games on Fox, FS1 or BTN. Unlike years ago, the games are no longer set before the season. That way if a team comes up like we are in 2019, they can get a game in prime time. The conference needed a game to air at night and our good performance and Nebraska's relative recovery this season, fan support, and history got us the spot.

Years ago Nebraska fans used to fill the Dome when they came in because of all the armchair fans, Minnesota born Nebraska alums who came home, other Nebraska fans who moved here, and traveling fans who in many cases followed the team here and elsewhere because getting seats in Lincoln was and still is so difficult. When Nebraska first joined the Big Ten, the place filled up in 2013. In 2015 with the extra end zone bleachers for the Vikes, the game drew a sellout of over 54,000. However in 2017 the game didn't even officially draw more than 40,000 and the actual crowd was much less. Between the Gophers playing well and the Huskers being 4-2, the game ought to draw okay, but between the thrashing dealt out to them by Ohio State and the lack of any quality wins, I'm not expecting Nebraska fans to take over or for the game to even sell out.

I don't think there is much question anymore that this game will be a sellout.

After looking at your post, I went to GopherSports.com and was legitimately surprised by the low availability of tickets. Yes we are 5-0, but there isn't a high profile win in the bunch, we struggled in every win before the Illinois game with the home dates played in front of tiny crowds, and the #25 ranking came well after the tickets had to have sold. It doesn't feel like there's much buzz for the team locally and that makes me amend my previous statement. I now fear that the Nebraska fans are coming in far greater numbers than the last two visits. It also makes me wonder about StubHub speculators buying up seats for resale and whether that market is really there.

Doesn't TV dictate pretty much every start time? 6:30 CT is 7:30 ET, by the way...which is a juicy start time.

I think we need highwayman to answer that...

Good exposure but Penn State/Iowa, USC/Notre Dame, and Florida/LSU are also playing night games.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TV dictates all. The Big Ten gets a certain number of prime time games from ABC/ESPN and Fox/FS1/BTN. This is one of them. It's the same reason we got stuck with 11:00 AM games for so long and why recent changes have granted us far more 2:30 PM games now.

I don't think there is much question anymore that this game will be a sellout.

The cheapest tickets through the U are $105. I'd guess there's 1000 or so left. I don't think people on the fence are paying that per ticket.

After looking at your post, I went to GopherSports.com and was legitimately surprised by the low availability of tickets. Yes we are 5-0, but there isn't a high profile win in the bunch, we struggled in every win before the Illinois game with the home dates played in front of tiny crowds, and the #25 ranking came well after the tickets had to have sold. It doesn't feel like there's much buzz for the team locally and that makes me amend my previous statement. I now fear that the Nebraska fans are coming in far greater numbers than the last two visits. It also makes me wonder about StubHub speculators buying up seats for resale and whether that market is really there.

Tiny crowds? I'm pretty sure the opener was near a sellout. It sounds like you're having a hard time processing that the excitement is building around this team, Nebraska is a brand opponent people will come out to see and its a night game. Yes, there will be some Huskers there, but not 40%. There are a lot of posters - including myself - who are traveling in for this game specifically. I gladly paid $160 each for first-level seats cause I'm sure its gonna be a memorable atmosphere and night. We're about to roll to 6-0.

Btw, I'd almost guarantee the Penn State game will be a sellout too.

I was in a hurry and I was wrong. The U of M announced 49,112 for the SDSU opener. In the heat of the moment and in a rush to make my point, I went too far with the "tiny" comment regarding that game, but the number of tickets sold and the actual number of fans in the house were two different things. It was a solid crowd, but enough sold seats went unused that it was visible upstairs.

I was in a hurry and I was wrong. The U of M announced 49,112 for the SDSU opener. In the heat of the moment and in a rush to make my point, I went too far with the "tiny" comment regarding that game, but the number of tickets sold and the actual number of fans in the house were two different things. It was a solid crowd, but enough sold seats went unused that it was visible upstairs.

Every freshman in orientation week got a free ticket to the opener, so don't be that hard on yourself. Maybe 40K in the stadium. It dropped for the next two home games. Under 40K sold for Illinios, maybe 30K or less in the stadium.

Nebraska has always traveled well, so it probably will be a sellout or close to one. Remaining three games have plenty available, especially in the upper level.

Every freshman in orientation week got a free ticket to the opener, so don't be that hard on yourself. Maybe 40K in the stadium. It dropped for the next two home games. Under 40K sold for Illinios, maybe 30K or less in the stadium.

Nebraska has always traveled well, so it probably will be a sellout or close to one. Remaining three games have plenty available, especially in the upper level.

You realize the PSU game is a month away and Wisconsin 7 weeks, right? I'd be shocked if both games are not sold out. I guess we'll see, but hopefully you're willing to eat your crow when your theory is debunked.

You realize the PSU game is a month away and Wisconsin 7 weeks, right? I'd be shocked if both games are not sold out. I guess we'll see, but hopefully you're willing to eat your crow when your theory is debunked.

Wow, lighten up. What theory? Where'd I say there's not a chance those two games could sell out? It's a fact there are plenty of tickets available for those three games, go look.

It's so people can do Pub Mosey during the day, then go to the game tanked afterwards.

Wow, lighten up. What theory? Where'd I say there's not a chance those two games could sell out? It's a fact there are plenty of tickets available for those three games, go look.

4 and 7 weeks is a long time to sell tickets. Fact. We know the Twin Cities fan market is very fickle. Fact. We are also about to get into recently unprecedented territory with a couple more wins. Penn State could legitimately be Top 5 by November 9. You can bet there won't be a problem selling tickets for that.

The issue here is that youre going on about our first few games of the season and a Big Ten game against a lower tier team where it rained all morning. The rest of our home schedule is not like that. People have an opportunity to see the Gophers do things they never have before. That sells tickets - even in this market.

Top Bottom