5,500 student tickets sold so far

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Jason LaFrenz, associated athletic director of external relations, reports that the interest in Gopher football season tickets has picked up and there are only 200 available. However, the Gophers do have Indoor Club Seats and Suites available to all games. The Gophers expect to have single-game seats available this year with tickets returned from visiting teams. The Gophers have sold some 5,500 student season tickets so far."

And:

"All of the Gophers who signed football tenders last March are in summer school, except for receiver Marquise Hill, who will not be a Gopher because of academic problems. The Gophers don't start practice until Aug. 6, but most of the squad is taking part in captain practices."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/9...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

Shouldn't we be able to sell 4500 student season tix to the incoming freshman and other students as the season gets closer? Nice to hear about everyone being on campus. I thought Devon Wright was not here yet?

Shouldn't we be able to sell 4500 student season tix to the incoming freshman and other students as the season gets closer? Nice to hear about everyone being on campus. I thought Devon Wright was not here yet?

Exactly my though. 5,500 doesn't seem that bad on July 25. AT LEAST 2,000 of those will go to incoming freshman and other students will pick them up when they come back on campus as well.

What are other schools sales like? 50,000 students I don't think it's asking too much of students to have 1/5 of the population show up on a Saturday on cheer on their team. I think 5,500 is awful. Why don't they sell to freshman earlier?

Looks like the student section will be half empty all season this year, and not just for the second half of the season like last year.

How many did they save for the freshmen/transfer students last year? I want to say it was 2,000 or something. I remember some freshmen I knew didn't get tickets and they were really bummed, that's an important group to get into the game imo.

To put this in perspective, UW sold out its 14,000 student tickets at $22 each. The undergrad (including incoming students) allotment sold out in 36 minutes. I couldn't find how long it took at the graduate students, but it was within the same day they went on sale.

Now if we could just get them to show up by kickoff...

UW

Yet the Wisconsin students show up way late to the games too.

Demand among students at Minnesota might not be strong enough to support a 10,000 seat student section. The empty seats last year spoke volumes. Didn't we sell 8,000 student tickets by June 1 last year?

Demand among students at Minnesota might not be strong enough to support a 10,000 seat student section. The empty seats last year spoke volumes. Didn't we sell 8,000 student tickets by June 1 last year?

One huge problem last year was that the $85 student ticket was less than the value of a ticket to the Air Force game. So a lot of students bought season tickets really only intending to go to one game.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that these students are not buying tickets this year. These are probably the students that went to Air Force, and maybe two other games (Cal, Wisconsin or MSU), and threw away their SDSU, Illinois and Purdue tickets.

Yet the Wisconsin students show up way late to the games too.

Very true, at least for non-rabid 30%-40%. The best idea I have heard to get them in the Camp by kickoff is to put bacon under their seats. Or beer.

TAW can't believe I have to ask this but $22 each is that a game or for the entire season cuz 22x7 is over $150. Quite a difference.

Very true, at least for non-rabid 30%-40%. The best idea I have heard to get them in the Camp by kickoff is to put bacon under their seats. Or beer.

I like the bacon idea. Barry should run with that one. I'd do almost anything for some tasty bacon.

They are also selling guest passes this year to students who bought season tickets. This is the email they sent (sorry if it has been posted before)

Enjoy the Gopher Football Season with all of your friends! New this season,
student season ticket holders will be able to purchase a guest pass in addition
to their season ticket. Guest passes can be used by anyone, and offer general
admission seating in the student section.

- Each student season ticket holder would be able to purchase one (1) guest
pass
- Guest Passes will be able to be used by anyone, not just students
- Price for a Guest Pass will be $275.00 (season ticket) and is to be used in
the Student Section
- Guest Passes will go on sale Thursday, July 22nd at 9:00am and can be
purchased over the phone or in person only. Must be a 2010 Football Student
Season Ticket Holder to purchase a guest pass.
- If available, single game guest passes will go on sale the Tuesday prior the
home game.

To purchase your student season guest pass, call 612-624-8080 or visit us at
Mariucci Arena.

So the student section will be more than just the 5500 people that bought them as reported so far. I know my brother is going to be buying a ticket.

that basically amounts to our student section being overrun by badger and hawkeye fans. what a HORRIBLE decision imo.

that basically amounts to our student section being overrun by badger and hawkeye fans. what a HORRIBLE decision imo.

The other choice is to open them up to anyone. Which is more likely to lead to Iowa fans? Open sales to the public? Or sales via a current U of M student? Neither is ideal but you're going to see fewer Iowa fans via extra tickets sold to students then by opening the sales up to anyone.

How about this: If there are unsold student season tickets, offer single-game student tickets to the Wisconsin or Iowa game, whichever is at home that year. The other games, unsold tickets could be offered to the general public. One possible downside is that if students could just buy the rivalry game ticket, less students might buy season tickets.

I still like the idea of a gold dress code in the student section. If someone shows up with a red shirt, sell them a gold shirt before they can enter.

The cost of these guest passes are more than you would be able to get for selling the Iowa game, making it not profitable if someone had the plan of buying the guest pass and then selling that game. I like this move.

The cost of these guest passes are more than you would be able to get for selling the Iowa game, making it not profitable if someone had the plan of buying the guest pass and then selling that game. I like this move.

A good point.

People need to remember that even if we sell all 10,000 tickets and even if all 10,000 people show up, the student section will appear 10% +/- empty. The reason for this is that the building codes stipulate the amount of space you have to alot for each butt in bleacher seating (I believe its 18"). If (when) all 10,000 students show up with an average butt width of less than the required size, they will pack into the lower rows beyond their theoretical capacity and leave the top few rows sparsely occupied.

Now if Minnesotan's were as fat as people from wisconsin, we wouldn't have this problem.

People need to remember that even if we sell all 10,000 tickets and even if all 10,000 people show up, the student section will appear 10% +/- empty. The reason for this is that the building codes stipulate the amount of space you have to alot for each butt in bleacher seating (I believe its 18"). If (when) all 10,000 students show up with an average butt width of less than the required size, they will pack into the lower rows beyond their theoretical capacity and leave the top few rows sparsely occupied.

Now if Minnesotan's were as fat as people from wisconsin, we wouldn't have this problem.

Actually, there is more than 18" of room per bench seat. That's because the bench seating was built so that every seat could be replaced by chairbacks if the money/desire/need was there. Its one reason I actually really like the bench seating. The legroom and side to side space is much better b/c of this foresight and that is a nice thing for a tall guy like me.

Top Bottom