49ers Defy Modern Football -- 49ers have reached the Super Bowl thanks to a strategic twist that's changing the NFL

How much of what the 49ers do is just based on their personnel? I haven't watched a complete NFL game in some time, but I did watch the game highlights for the recent 49ers win and George Kiddle, at tight end, looked like he was almost unstoppable. What an athlete! Reminded me of Rob Gronkowski for the Patriots. Different players and body types for sure, but both dominated at the TE position. Does having a dominant TE help you play heavier sets, not to mention their very good RB and mobile QB?

How much of what the 49ers do is just based on their personnel? I haven't watched a complete NFL game in some time, but I did watch the game highlights for the recent 49ers win and George Kiddle, at tight end, looked like he was almost unstoppable. What an athlete! Reminded me of Rob Gronkowski for the Patriots. Different players and body types for sure, but both dominated at the TE position. Does having a dominant TE help you play heavier sets, not to mention their very good RB and mobile QB?
I wonder the same.

How many times do we see “genius” coaches and they lose a key guys and … not so genius anymore….

I wonder the same.

How many times do we see “genius” coaches and they lose a key guys and … not so genius anymore….
We're going to find out in Washington...oh wait...the coach just bailed for a huge payday with Alabama! Smart!!! We definitely found out with the New England Patriots. Other recent examples?

There seems to be a widespread belief that "modern" offensive football is always pass-happy, and that an offense based on a foundation of a physical, punishing rushing attack can never be considered to be "modern".

There may be an underlying idea that is equally dubious: that football offenses have evolved (progressed) in a linear manner from single wing to Woody Hayes to Mike Martz and the Greatest Show on Turf.

It is undeniably true that football offenses in 2024 throw more often than the offenses from a previous era. But run/pass ratios still vary from team to team. For reference, see Harbaugh's Michigan teams. If we look strictly at run/pass, were the 2023 Wolverines running a "modern" offense?

Also, is there perhaps some value in presenting your opponents with an offense that is clearly different from what they usually play against? I think there is something to be said for forcing other teams to prepare for something they rarely see. If an opponent's defense is loaded with smaller, faster defenders who excel at stopping the pass, I love the idea of running right at them with a big, strong, punishing offensive line and some tough, elusive runners.

Top Bottom