4 Gophers and Coach Kill make ESPN's All-Name Team

The greatest football name of all time: Sonny Sixkiller. He was a QB for the Washington Huskies in the early 1970's.

I will go with wide receiver Fair Hooker

Weak.

So basically if you have an Asian, African or African-American name and thus are different, your name is funny and unique to Adam Rittenburg. Boy it is time to start playing games.

Seung-Hoon Choi is the equivalent of Joe Smith in Korea.

Interesting tidbit, Wayzata WR, Fritz Rock surfaced on the list and Illinois. Maybe this is common knowledge to others, but I didn't realize he ended up there. I thought he was at Wyoming or a school out that direction.

What about I.M. Hipp, former running back at Nebraska.

What about I.M. Hipp, former running back at Nebraska.

I was just thinking that. He was drafted in 1980, and I think he only played one year in the NFL, but people remember that name.

More name fun....

My personal favorite: Rod Smart's "He Hate Me" on the back of his Jersey.

I always wondered who hated him and why.

The greatest football name of all time: Sonny Sixkiller. He was a QB for the Washington Huskies in the early 1970's.

I also believe he played one of the "cons" in the original Longest Yard movie with Burt Reynolds.

I recall some guy from the defunct XFL that went with "Chuck Wagon" on his jersey. Gotta love a guy who can poke fun at himself.

One of the all time great names, consistant with position, was Mike Stonebreaker at linebacker for Notre Dame.

Not to digress, but this reminds me of my favorite newspaper sports headline.

The Gophers Bobby Cox was injured and unable to play one Saturday. The headline in the Strib the next day read "Gophers win with Cox out".

The Gophers Bobby Cox was injured and unable to play one Saturday. The headline in the Strib the next day read "Gophers win with Cox out".

Who over said the Strib has no sense of humor...:)

Priceless

Top Bottom