3 SEC teams in the CFB playoff?

Most pro sports include wild card selections, not just conference or division winners. Other college sports like hockey, basketball, volleyball softball, baseball, etc, all include teams beyond conference/division winners.
But most pro sports also give a division winners a seat at the table.

If memory serves, the first year of the CFP had some SEC fans fairly late in the season claiming that the same division in the SEC had the top three teams in the country, and they all should be able to make the playoff (I think it was Bama, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State). Then all three of those teams lost their bowl games to teams in other conferences, including Alabama who lost to it's semi final to a four seed Ohio State playing its 3rd string QB because of injuries.

This scenario would be a lot of fun, but only if Clemson, UCLA, TCU and either Ohio State or Michigan all finish 13-0 and champions of their conferences.

NCAA passes new rule that SEC Champion wins CFP automatically.

I honestly hope it’s 4 SEC teams
Because I think that creates the best case for more auto bids when it expands

I honestly hope it’s 4 SEC teams
Because I think that creates the best case for more auto bids when it expands
They've already agreed in principle to cave to what the SEC wants. The Big Ten was the main flagbearer holding together the coalition with the ACC and PAC to try to force auto-bids for the P5, and that has fallen away now.

It's going to be what they proposed last summer. 6 highest ranked conf champs and 6 at-large.

Just working out the logistics is the last piece to figure out.

NCAA passes new rule that SEC Champion wins CFP automatically.
That's not good enough for the SEC. The also want the CFP Runner-Up as well as potentially 1 or more in the Semi-Finals.

Well we probably don’t have to worry about Ole Miss

One of my favorite SEC bias jokes (don't remember who said it, but I'm not claiming I came up with it) was "Alabamas only loss came to a team that was good enough to beat Alabama."

Top Bottom