3 keys for Minnesota football nearing the season's midway point

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Phil:

So there’s a lot at stake coming out of this bye week, starting with an Oct. 16 date against suddenly-resurgent Nebraska. Here are 3 keys to 3-2 Minnesota finishing strong and reaching the postseason once again this year.

1. Tanner Morgan needs to rediscover himself. And Minnesota needs to rediscover Tanner Morgan.

2. Turn up the pressure defensively.

3. Reinforce the walls.

Go Gophers!!

Point 3 that is listed below is what stands out to me. Don't know who is making the noise exactly, but I agree with him.

As someone who didn’t grow up in the Twin Cities, it never ceases to amaze how fatalist sports fans here can be.

The fact that a guy like Morgan, one of the classiest, most consistent collegiate athletes the market’s seen during this generation, can see himself become the scapegoat seemingly overnight speaks to it. So does the suddenly tepid vibe around Gophers circles.

Point 3 that is listed below is what stands out to me. Don't know who is making the noise exactly, but I agree with him.

As someone who didn’t grow up in the Twin Cities, it never ceases to amaze how fatalist sports fans here can be.

The fact that a guy like Morgan, one of the classiest, most consistent collegiate athletes the market’s seen during this generation, can see himself become the scapegoat seemingly overnight speaks to it. So does the suddenly tepid vibe around Gophers circles.
I agree. People need to let the season play out and then come to conclusions. I trust Fleck and his staff will have this team playing their best football as the season continues on.

OL needs to protect Tanner.

Can't 'discover yourself' running for your life / on your ass...

"As someone who didn’t grow up in the Twin Cities, it never ceases to amaze how fatalist sports fans here can be." -Ervin

Is this really Us?

I’d flip the first point. Since Sanford took over we’ve really gone away from the deep ball frequency and feels like we only throw on and long situations. Need to change that up at times

I’d flip the first point. Since Sanford took over we’ve really gone away from the deep ball frequency and feels like we only throw on and long situations. Need to change that up at times
Threw a lot of them against Purdue. The passing scheme as a whole has been less than ideal with Sanford. Seems the only counter to the stacked box and pressure has been a quick fade route.

I don't agree that Sanford has been good for Tanner. I like the stats re: defense. Our OL should be doing a far better job than they have.
Whatever is going on this year, it hasn’t been good for Tanner as a passer. Minnesota, exclusively Tanner, has fewer completions (47) than other Big Ten team. Table below is cut off, but far fewer attempts, too. Neither NW or Illinois appear in the table, but that is because they have deployed multiple QBs. As a team, NW has 95 completions and ILL also has 95. We simply aren’t passing the ball anywhere near the “normal” range for the B1G. At the other end of the spectrum is Purdue with 171 completions already (Plummer and O'Connell). I suspect our offense might work a lot better if we could find our way to the Big Ten average in passing attempts rather than bringing up the tail. We have the QB and the receivers ... it's weird.
316F81D8-14BC-4C5C-A44F-5C203AB588A5.png

Last edited:

per Phil:

So there’s a lot at stake coming out of this bye week, starting with an Oct. 16 date against suddenly-resurgent Nebraska. Here are 3 keys to 3-2 Minnesota finishing strong and reaching the postseason once again this year.

1. Tanner Morgan needs to rediscover himself. And Minnesota needs to rediscover Tanner Morgan.

2. Turn up the pressure defensively.

3. Reinforce the walls.

Go Gophers!!
This guy lost me, and all credibility at, “And while Mike Sanford Jr. has been a great presence for Morgan”. Wtf?

The most important key is to win by any means! Some of the 2019 team's wins were ugly, but they were wins. Close games against some "lesser" non-coms and B1G opponents got us all riled up. In retrospect, that was what made that season special with the Offense under Ciarrocca.

"As someone who didn’t grow up in the Twin Cities, it never ceases to amaze how fatalist sports fans here can be." -Ervin

Is this really Us?

To be fair, Minnesota fans should be. The area has gone by far the longest of any 3 or 4 pro sport metro area without even a title game/series appearance. The Vikings are indisputably the most successful NFL and American pro franchise that has not won the championship of their sport. The Twins have a historic postseason losing run, the Wild have had one good year in their last 20, and the T-Wolves are probably the most mismanaged team in pro sports.

Toss in the Gophers' long history of coming up short -- Minnesota is the only traditional B1G school without a Rose Bowl or recognized Big Ten basketball title in the last 40 years -- and Minnesota fans have the most right to be jaded and frustrated of any local group in America.

I feel as though the only time we through short is in third and long situations.

Hope Springs Eternal in the land of ten thousand lakes and five thousand fish.

At some point, I think (hope?) Simon and Fleck will field a healthy and game-ready four-wide package.

CAB, Wright, Jackson, MBS would seem to be the best candidates. All four have shown the ability (unfortunately in different games) to beat coverage/make a big catch. Tanner looked better in 2019 when they could put Tyler, Bateman, CAB, and Douglas out there together.

Skill sets of those four may overlap, so maybe that 4 wide package ends up involving Boyd, Emilien, or Brockington. Geary out hurts.

Maybe a four pass-catching option ends up creatively using a TE as the fourth (or even fifth?!) option. Spann-Ford or Kieft (maybe Geers surprises?) could fill that role.

With Mo out and Potts likely out, that package may also creatively use Irving or Ky Thomas or Wiley as the fourth (or fifth) option.

Callahan needs to get his unit up to speed to block with five before Fleck or Sanford will likely trust using this...our veteran, large and talented o-line has struggled giving Tanner time in pass-pro, and that is using 6 and 7 man (8 with Bryce Williams blocking) protection packages.

Use of jet sweeps, running backs in the flats, WR screens, quick-hitting digs and slants, reverses, TE's releasing, half-back passes, designed QB draws may also be used to ease the aggressive pressure being brought on Morgan and the o-line. Some use of tempo could also help ease aggressive defense.

The Kramer package has been effective; has upside.

Lot of upside overall for this offense.

Rossi has drawn up some nice schemes for keeping points off the board for three straight weeks.

Durr has been very solid. Harasymiak and Haynes have brought along Howden, Nubin, T-Smith, and Walley nicely and are getting Dixon, Glaze, Sol Brown worked in. Finding roles for Harris, Howard, Swenson, McDonald. Still upside for this unit.

Wilt and Rossi have found ways to get pressure, which is huge. Rush, Mafe, Otomewo, Carter, Pinckney, MDT, Martin have been effective...JahJoyner, Striggow, JLR, getting worked in. Cheney may return to rotation? D-line unit still has upside.

Gibbens and SoriMarin have brought improved play at linebacker. Oliver has flashed. Gordon, Willis, Burns, leCaptain getting worked in; may offer more options. Lindenberg out hurts. Aune out as well? Unit still has upside.

Punting, kickoffs, field goals, PATs are improved...still some upside. Returns?

10-2 would not surprise. Get the Jug back.

In fairness to TM and the OL, it takes time and reps to get in snyc with everyone. That will be especially true with the trust and timing that has to develop.

I am very pleased with the Defense. They are quietly asserting themselves. It may be the Defense that saves the team's bacon this season.

I hope that they are peaking about the time that they play the tough part of the schedule.

To be fair, Minnesota fans should be. The area has gone by far the longest of any 3 or 4 pro sport metro area without even a title game/series appearance.
Chicken meets egg

In fairness to TM and the OL, it takes time and reps to get in snyc with everyone. That will be especially true with the trust and timing that has to develop.

I am very pleased with the Defense. They are quietly asserting themselves. It may be the Defense that saves the team's bacon this season.

I hope that they are peaking about the time that they play the tough part of the schedule.
They've all played together for several years, so hopefully that's not the case.

Fair or not, the QB is the focal point of virtually every FB team. The QB tends to get more credit for wins and more blame for losses.

by most standards - statistical or the "eye test," Tanner Morgan does not seem like the same QB we saw in 2019. Some of that may be due to the loss of his father and other off-field issues. Some of that may be due to changes in OC and play-calling. Some of that may be due to the loss of two NFL caliber WR's.

As far as MN fans, they are front-runners, pure and simple. When a team is "hot" the fans show up - when a team starts to lose, the fans exit in droves. Twins, Gophers, North Stars, Wolves, etc. The one team that has been relatively immune is the Vikings - and even the Vikes were showing a dip in attendance and interest before Moss and the '98 team, which cemented the Vikes as the #1 show in town.

Threw a lot of them against Purdue. The passing scheme as a whole has been less than ideal with Sanford. Seems the only counter to the stacked box and pressure has been a quick fade route.
The slant should be open too, but Sanford has an aversion to it.

While I don't disagree it's annoying, this is not a MN thing. Wisconsin fans hate Chryst (.711 Big 10 winning percentage, 3 West Titles, 3 top ten finishes), Iowa fans had moments when they hated Kirk, Penn State fans and message boards have hated Franklin at times.

Yeah, fans rush to judgement but Gopher fans are about the most forgiving and easy to impress folks of the bunch. I'm not saying this to defend the Twin Cities sports fans (in some ways I think they're awful), but we aren't a super harsh bunch.

Whatever is going on this year, it hasn’t been good for Tanner as a passer. Minnesota, exclusively Tanner, has fewer completions (47) than other Big Ten team. Tables is cut off, but far fewer attempts, too. Neither NW or Illinois appear in the table, but that is because they have deployed multiple QBs. As a team, NW has 95 completions and ILL has over 100. Minnesota is the only team on the list with fewer than 100 passing attempts after five games (90). We simply aren’t passing the ball anywhere near the the “normal” range for the B1G. At the other end of the spectrum is Purdue with 171 completions already (Plummer and O'Connell). I suspect our offense might work a lot better if we could find our way to the Big Ten average in passing attempts rather than bringing up the tail. We have the QB and the receivers ... it's weird.
View attachment 14709

The problem with not passing enough is that when you do pass, it's almost always more difficult. I am a Tanner Morgan fan boy, but I realize Tanner doesn't have the kind of arm talent to just sit in the pocket and slice and dice you on a consistent basis. It's on the coaches to put our team in a position to be successful. I think we saw it a lot more in Purdue (throwing early in downs and having some easy pass plays).

I don't mind running a fade, but I also don't love that is Sanford's go-to. Don't get me wrong, it's better than not running pass plays. The problem with the fade is it doesn't really make the linebackers hesitate in the way a slant or quick hitch might. The linebackers won't impact a fade route, so it really doesn't slow them down from coming downhill. I know I'm being nitpicky on Sanford and last week was a MASSIVE improvement but I still think our playcalling is hurting output pretty drastically.

Fair or not, the QB is the focal point of virtually every FB team. The QB tends to get more credit for wins and more blame for losses.

by most standards - statistical or the "eye test," Tanner Morgan does not seem like the same QB we saw in 2019. Some of that may be due to the loss of his father and other off-field issues. Some of that may be due to changes in OC and play-calling. Some of that may be due to the loss of two NFL caliber WR's.

As far as MN fans, they are front-runners, pure and simple. When a team is "hot" the fans show up - when a team starts to lose, the fans exit in droves. Twins, Gophers, North Stars, Wolves, etc. The one team that has been relatively immune is the Vikings - and even the Vikes were showing a dip in attendance and interest before Moss and the '98 team, which cemented the Vikes as the #1 show in town.
There is a different NHL team here now, you know. ;)

The most important key is to win by any means! Some of the 2019 team's wins were ugly, but they were wins. Close games against some "lesser" non-coms and B1G opponents got us all riled up. In retrospect, that was what made that season special with the Offense under Ciarrocca.
And the wr talent. Three studs and Demetrius Douglas wasn’t a bad 4th option. Could use him this year.

Top Bottom