#27 DB Tyler Nubin Gives Up Game-Losing Bomb TD Score by Illinois

SHGopher

Reaction score
Pictures tell a thousand words. I'm only showing this because fingers pointed elsewhere.

The last scoring drive of the game to give the win to Illinois, a bomb TD:

1699202651500.png

The moment the ball is about to land:

1699202919973.png

Caught with no challenge to the left of the left hashmark:

1699202943467.png

1699203004443.png

TD celebration at left corner of endzone.

1699203028118.png

1699203186274.png

1699203226031.png

And maybe it was a scheme mistake to cover the top receiver Williams (131 yards, 2 TDs in game) with a safety.

It's possible Minnesota doesn't have a DB that can cover Isaiah Williams. A CB would be ideal, but with Gophers not having that kind of cornerback you go to your best safety who realistically can't hang with the top receiver with afterburners on.

Maybe the Gophers best chance would have been pressure to force an early throw or something else in the secondary, I don't know.

I think the scheme on that play was a mistake. No safety can cover that top Illinois receiver Williams on a full speed burn route like that. No offense to Nubin.

Maybe Gophers should have brought 5 for pressure, make the QB throw sooner, and left soft an underneath route and kill any long developing bomb mismatch play.

MN was not in man coverage on that play. Nubin should have been several yards deeper than the receiver. No reason for that play to be as wide open as it was. Blown coverage plain and simple, which should not be happening with someone of his level of experience. Personally thought Nubin had a tough day with this missed assignment, a horrific pursuit angle on the swing pass TD to the RB, and another end zone pass that was very close to a PI on him where he again got beat deep.

Go back and watch. It wasn't necessarily Nubin that got schooled, it was #7 too. #7 was covering Williams in his zone to the post, bit on a short drag route by the outside receiver, which then gave Williams a huge opening. Nubin couldn't cover the gap fast enough when the QB made a very nice long throw. Even the Illini QB acknowledged that they were trying to get #7 to bite.

Nubin's interception was on a similar route, but #7 stayed on Williams and Nubin was able to cut off the underthrown ball.

Go back and watch. It wasn't necessarily Nubin that got schooled, it was #7 too. #7 was covering Williams in his zone to the post, bit on a short drag route by the outside receiver, which then gave Williams a huge opening. Nubin couldn't cover the gap fast enough when the QB made a very nice long throw. Even the Illini QB acknowledged that they were trying to get #7 to bite.

Nubin's interception was on a similar route, but #7 stayed on Williams and Nubin was able to cut off the underthrown ball.
We were in cover 2 meaning each safety was responsible for half of the field and pass went to Nubins half of the field. Completely his responsibility. One could say it was a terrible call by Rossi for that situation but Nubin should have been much deeper in his drop.

Nope, he started on Gousby’s side of the field and I say Gousby should’ve been deeper and able to prevent him from getting a TD. I put the blame on him.

I think the scheme on that play was a mistake. No safety can cover that top Illinois receiver Williams on a full speed burn route like that. No offense to Nubin.

Maybe Gophers should have brought 5 for pressure, make the QB throw sooner, and left soft an underneath route and kill any long developing bomb mismatch play.
Nubin might have had responsibilities on “his” side of the field, too. It’s not like Williams, who came up Gousby’s side of the field, was the only receiver out there. I personally think that it was a coaching failure with the game on the line to have the coverage plan for the second most dangerous receiver in the Big Ten to be: initial coverage by LB who hands off Williams to CB who hands off Williams to Safety who, apparently, hands off Williams to the Safety already occupied covering the other side of the field. So much room for miscommunication or confused responsibilities. Don’t blame Nubin.

Unless you’re going to go look and post the all11 view of this, a red arrow drawn on a few stills says nothing. Illinois got exactly the look they were looking for here which was an inexplicable coverage scheme, gousby stopping running with a guy (there is No other route coming at him), and Nubin having eyes on the X receiver and coming up on him running a deep hitch which will be in his zone. There is blame on both 7 and 27 but as someone who played safety, you never never never “pass off” a guy running a deep seam that came has come through and is splitting your zone. That’s the home run ball of the design and that guy is running open the mid range plays but you take the shot if the safety misreads and paddock froze the 2 of them (he looks to the x which is what Nubin goes to and gousby stops thinking the ball is going away from him).

Plenty of blame here to go around so this the last I will say on this but starts with a terrible call by Rossi in my opinion. Cover 2 is susceptible down the middle and you had the Big 10s best slot receiver basically running down the middle of the field. Goosby did have another receiver running a dummy route that he had to respect (IL started trips right). The LB ran with Williams through the initial part of the route and handed him off to Nubin who bit on the QB eye fake and didn’t get deep enough. In the end, it doesn’t matter as we still lost but we really need to figure out out 2 minute defense or teams with real passing attacks coming in from the PAC 12 will destroy us.

Guys on Gopher Gridiron said they had the same coverage on the same route tree on the ball that Tyler Nubin intercepted earlier in the game. Unfortunately, they didn't react as well this time. Hard to believe. Seems like kids not making and then making mistakes. They thought we shouldn't have been in this coverage late in the game because our guys have been prone to getting burned in zone this year. My impressions is they wanted us to be in something safer, but then when we do that and Illinois dinks and dunks their way all the way down the field to victory, we'd say we should have been more aggressive. Haha! Sometimes our guys just need to execute. They also said the Illinois QB did an excellent job buying a little extra time in the pocket on this play. We know how often college QBs fail to do this.

Damn, I hope that our players are smart enough to stay away from the Gopherhole.

Guys on Gopher Gridiron said they had the same coverage on the same route tree on the ball that Tyler Nubin intercepted earlier in the game. Unfortunately, they didn't react as well this time. Hard to believe. Seems like kids not making and then making mistakes. They thought we shouldn't have been in this coverage late in the game because our guys have been prone to getting burned in zone this year. My impressions is they wanted us to be in something safer, but then when we do that and Illinois dinks and dunks their way all the way down the field to victory, we'd say we should have been more aggressive. Haha! Sometimes our guys just need to execute. They also said the Illinois QB did an excellent job buying a little extra time in the pocket on this play. We know how often college QBs fail to do this.

The route by Williams looked almost exactly the same as the interception play. Williams was crossing deep from his right to left. On the interception, Gousby covered the whole way (Williams did have half a step) but Nubin was able to undercut an underthrown ball. On the TD play, Gousby momentarily bit on what looked like a receiver doing a drag route while Williams blew by . Nubin was also slightly slow to recognize. The ball was thrown so well that it might not have mattered, it hit Williams in perfect stride. Credit to the Illini QB.

Unless you’re going to go look and post the all11 view of this, a red arrow drawn on a few stills says nothing. Illinois got exactly the look they were looking for here which was an inexplicable coverage scheme, gousby stopping running with a guy (there is No other route coming at him), and Nubin having eyes on the X receiver and coming up on him running a deep hitch which will be in his zone. There is blame on both 7 and 27 but as someone who played safety, you never never never “pass off” a guy running a deep seam that came has come through and is splitting your zone. That’s the home run ball of the design and that guy is running open the mid range plays but you take the shot if the safety misreads and paddock froze the 2 of them (he looks to the x which is what Nubin goes to and gousby stops thinking the ball is going away from him).
North Carolina ran a fairly similiar play at end of first half with the same rush 3 drop 8 in coverage two high safety look. Gousby didnt completely freeze against NC but never located the ball. Same situation happened 2 guys passed off the receiver. I have to think with Williams as fast as he was the Illini staff saw this look from our D pre snap, and knew exactly what play to run, a deep seam. That Paddock made a great throw with just about zero pressure on him. Felt doom before the snap, that we looked not ready. Williams seemed determined to make up for his fumble. Worst part about this sequence is you could almost see Williams was going to be open at the line of scrimmage, with the QB pumping right with his helmet, going for a home run seemed obvious, with how deep our corners to the sideline, and the Safety's were flat footed in their coverage reacting slowly. I would have like to have seen at least 1 Corner on him #1 to try and jam Williams at the line and at least disrupt the route by a half a second. I mean that is the number one threat to make a play. I know we don't do it often but this situation screamed get a bump on that guy at the line of scrimmage. I know hindsight is easy. To me bringing Lindenberg up and blitzing him was something I had hoped to see to. Not a lot of guys like Williams in the Big 10 outside of the two OSU WR.

Last edited:

Love Nubin but it it was on him.

The call was fine he just either got caught peaking, misjudged Williams' speed or both.

It was a massive mistake.
To clarify, you don’t rush more than 3 (with a backup QB in) or double Williams/bump him at the line at the end of the game with a lead?

If so , isn’t that stipulating that down/distance/time left in the game are irrelevant and don’t have to be factored in when making a call?

Outside of Superman or Flash, no one was going to see #1 on that play. He was determined to get open and zoomed past all of our LBs & DBs.

Great route by Williams and a great throw by Paddock. Simply, we just sucked (all 11 kids) on the entire drive (3 plays). 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wish we had Flash (a 124⭐️ - not a 5⭐️ recruit)

Nubin might have had responsibilities on “his” side of the field, too. It’s not like Williams, who came up Gousby’s side of the field, was the only receiver out there. I personally think that it was a coaching failure with the game on the line to have the coverage plan for the second most dangerous receiver in the Big Ten to be: initial coverage by LB who hands off Williams to CB who hands off Williams to Safety who, apparently, hands off Williams to the Safety already occupied covering the other side of the field. So much room for miscommunication or confused responsibilities. Don’t blame Nubin.
Don't know who to blame. But as a DC I would be concerned about guys getting that far out of position in that game situation. He has some things to answer for.

That picture means nothing, what was the coverage and route concept thrown

Does Tyler Nubin sometimes get burned because he's trying too hard to jump routes and get interceptions? Was that likely the problem in this case? Sometimes you get interceptions by taking chances so there is often a downside.

Top Bottom