25 Years Ago on Gopherhole

Williams

Reaction score
All this talk of Ben Johnson had me flashing back to the Dan Monson era and that had me flashing back to Clem. It reminded me that this great site is on its 25th year (if my math is correct). We were singing Clem’s praises and blissfully ignorant to what was coming. I don’t know if anyone else remembers this but in those days Jason was supporting the site by selling T-shirts. I just pulled out my box of old stuff and found this! I’m hoping that perhaps we can get back to those glory days after 25 long years....and that this find is a little bit of good luck charm that will make Mr. Ben Johnson the coach for GHs next 25 years.
3DE10A77-8EBD-45C7-A4FB-5FD4C413D6E0.jpeg

That's excellent. I've been around since the inception as well. Amazing to think it's been that long...

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

And, 25 years?! Mind blown.

All this talk of Ben Johnson had me flashing back to the Dan Monson era and that had me flashing back to Clem. It reminded me that this great site is on its 25th year (if my math is correct). We were singing Clem’s praises and blissfully ignorant to what was coming. I don’t know if anyone else remembers this but in those days Jason was supporting the site by selling T-shirts. I just pulled out my box of old stuff and found this! I’m hoping that perhaps we can get back to those glory days after 25 long years....and that this find is a little bit of good luck charm that will make Mr. Ben Johnson the coach for GHs next 25 years.
View attachment 12199

@ Gopher Lady - time to start selling merch again - another revenue stream!

Good job for your interns for the fulfillment end of the operation.

View attachment 12199
Ha, a blast from the past! It will be 25 years in April, I think. I still have a few of those shirts sitting in a drawer somewhere....

View attachment 12199
Yikes. Getting old, and older and older... I remember stumbling onto the site in late 1997, might have been early 1998. I only remember that because of where I was living at the time when I found it. I remember thinking this internet thing is way cool! Whoa!!!

I found this site while surfing the net from the Pioneer Hall computer lab (this is way before any students had laptops) for Gopher content back in early 1997. I remember thinking how awesome it was that there were all these Gopher hoops fans also obsessed with our team.

Crazy to think it's been 24 years. Huge thanks to Jason Groth for starting it and the same to Gopher Lady and Bleed (and others) for keeping it going!

Yikes. Getting old, and older and older... I remember stumbling onto the site in late 1997, might have been early 1998. I only remember that because of where I was living at the time when I found it. I remember thinking this internet thing is way cool! Whoa!!!
I stumbled onto the site in early '97 during the final four run - I was surfing on line and I was getting ready to take a trip to California to find a house as I was planning to transfer to the Bay Area while still working for Target Corp. at the time (they owned Mervyns and Mervyns HQ was in Hayward Ca). I remember thinking there had to be something somewhere talking about the Gophers on line... and I found it! It was awesome!

Brings back allot of memories!! I still remember watching the Gophers lose to Kentucky in the final Four at a Hotel in Monterey as part of my trip to find a house. Bummer, but a great ride overall!

EDIT: I would also be remiss if I didn't say thanks to Jason for starting this site and providing a place to go and enjoy discussions about all Gopher sports. In the beginning, if I recall correctly, it was just MBB which fit the bill at that moment but the site soon encompassed all things UofM athletics.

Great site and great people keeping this site alive! Many many thanks for the years of enjoyment... and having a place to go to let the frustrations out, along with enjoying the highs (certainly not enough of the highs - YET)!

Last edited:

I’ve been around since the beginning. That includes meeting a bunch of Gopherholers including Bleed’s dad at Stub & Herb’s before Midnight Madness. We also had a Gopherhole Golf Tourney of about 3-4 foursomes where Rouser and I competed to see who could hit more houses and lose more golf balls in a single round. Then drinks with the group and Jason at Applebee’s afterwards.

I was 26 going on 16 at the time and now I’m 51 going on 16. it was a much different board in the beginning. It was unified with virtually no disrespect towards another Gopher fan. Some of the most epic WI and IA trash talking threads took place back then. It was a beautiful thing. I honestly can’t remember a single day not visiting the site in all these years thanks to Jason’s vision.

Very cool! Many thanks to those who started GopherHole, and to those who keep it running. Respect!

I stumbled across the site while googling something about Aliou Kane's recruitment early in the Monson years. I had dial-up internet at the time. Jesus, now that feels like caveman days. I would right-click on a thread so it would open in a new tab. I'd open seven or eight threads at a time, walk away and come back in 30 minutes to read them.

I came across GH around 1998 or 1999 while searching for people to talk about Gopher football.

Miss Oldtimer.

I stumbled across the site while googling something about Aliou Kane's recruitment early in the Monson years. I had dial-up internet at the time. Jesus, now that feels like caveman days. I would right-click on a thread so it would open in a new tab. I'd open seven or eight threads at a time, walk away and come back in 30 minutes to read them.

Love this story!! And funny you mention Aliou Kane - I've given Jason Groth crap about him through the years because he famously wrote a story proclaiming Kane's commitment bigger than Rickert's!!

Good stuff in this thread.

Go Gophers!!

I wish I knew what happened to my t-shirt! 1997 was sure fun! Even 1998 NIT championship run tht supposedly didn't happen.....

Top Bottom