2024-25 Big Ten Free Agent Signings

To the best of my knowledge, the number of free agent signings for Big Ten programs as of 4/20/24:

Illinois (4)
Maryland (4)
USC (4)
Nebraska (3)
Ohio State (3)
Penn State (3)
Rutgers (3)
UCLA (3)
Indiana (2)
Michigan (1)
Gophers (1)
Washington (1)
Iowa (0)
Michigan State (0)
Northwestern (0)
Oregon (0)
Purdue (0)
Wisconsin (0)

Indiana State rock star Robbie Avila expected to announce his transfer destination later this afternoon. Wisconsin reportedly is in the mix.

Last edited:

To the best of my knowledge, the number of free agent signings for Big Ten programs as of 4/20/24:

Illinois (4)
Maryland (4)
Nebraska (3)
Ohio State (3)
Penn State (3)
Rutgers (3)
Indiana (2)
UCLA (2)
Michigan (1)
Gophers (1)
Iowa (0)
Michigan State (0)
Northwestern (0)
Oregon (0)
Purdue (0)
USC (0)
Washington (0)
Wisconsin (0)

Indiana State rock star Robbie Avila expected to announce his transfer destination later this afternoon. Wisconsin reportedly is in the mix.
Avilla entered with the "no contact" on his announcement. I'd be shocked if he wasn't following his coach to St. Louis.

Looking over the lists on VerbalCommits compared to the transfer-in numbers above, looks like I'd missed a few guys coming into ex-P12 teams.

UCLA
Eric Dailey, Jr. (from Oklahoma State)

USC
Joshua Cohen (from Massachusetts)
Bryce Pope (from UC San Diego)
Clark Slajchert (from Penn)

Washington
Mekhi Mason (from Rice)

Looking over the lists on VerbalCommits compared to the transfer-in numbers above, looks like I'd missed a few guys coming into ex-P12 teams.

UCLA
Eric Dailey, Jr. (from Oklahoma State)

USC
Joshua Cohen (from Massachusetts)
Bryce Pope (from UC San Diego)
Clark Slajchert (from Penn)

Washington
Mekhi Mason (from Rice)
Thanks. Had a feeling I was missing some from the Pac 12 to Big Ten crowd. Will add these guys.

Illinois (4)
Maryland (4)
USC (4)
Nebraska (3)
Ohio State (3)
Penn State (3)
Rutgers (3)
UCLA (3)
Indiana (2)
Michigan (1)
Gophers (1)
Washington (1)
Iowa (0)
Michigan State (0)
Northwestern (0)
Oregon (0)
Purdue (0)
Wisconsin (0)

I thought he was a lock for Saint Louis with his coach.

Tyler Bilodeau (Oregon State) moving the wife & kids to Westwood to join the Bruins.

I think JOJ will do well there.

It’s such a head scratcher on why he didn’t get more run at Minnesota with our short bench. His size and athleticism are 100% high-major caliber. There is obviously a lot to the story we’ll probably never hear.
It's really not. He played no defense, was lost on offense taking bad shots and turning ball over too much, and was not accepting of his role refusing to listen to feedback from coaches. At some point if you are simply going to do your own thing you don't play.

It's really not. He played no defense, was lost on offense taking bad shots and turning ball over too much, and was not accepting of his role refusing to listen to feedback from coaches. At some point if you are simply going to do your own thing you don't play.

Taking bad shots and turning the ball over too much? I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He shot 61% from the field, which was 2nd on the team behind only Parker Fox, and 41% from 3, which was the best on the team. Of the main rotation players, only Fox had fewer TO's per game.

He struggled on D because he's an undersized 4, but when he played 20 minutes per game he always put up double figures in points. He definitely should have had a bigger role as instant offense off the bench than what he did.

Taking bad shots and turning the ball over too much? I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He shot 61% from the field, which was 2nd on the team behind only Parker Fox, and 41% from 3, which was the best on the team. Of the main rotation players, only Fox had fewer TO's per game.

He struggled on D because he's an undersized 4, but when he played 20 minutes per game he always put up double figures in points. He definitely should have had a bigger role as instant offense off the bench than what he did.
My guess is this had to do with attitude and what was between the ears. A guy with that much raw talent doesn't go from starter to pariah because he was too dense to figure out his assignments. I'll speculate - Like so many boss / employee entanglements, he disagreed with the feedback he was receiving. Turned it into a pissing match and lost. Coaching staff could no longer trust him.

My money would be on him being the ring leader. Carrington was all too willing. Payne got sucked up in it out of some kind allegiance to the other two.

Basketball is a team game. We had Kris Humphries, maybe the most talented kid we have had in 20 years…and we lost big time. The next year, without him we made the NCAAs. JOJ didn’t gel with the team on both ends.

Basketball is a team game. We had Kris Humphries, maybe the most talented kid we have had in 20 years…and we lost big time. The next year, without him we made the NCAAs. JOJ didn’t gel with the team on both ends.

Comparing JOJ to Humphries is quite the stretch.

When JOJ played 19+ minutes the Gophers were 12-5 overall and 4-4 in the B1G. When he played less than that they were 7-10 overall and 5-7 in the B1G.

Top Bottom