2023 recruiting

Jeremyp

Reaction score
The next couple of weeks are huge for Gopher football recruiting as they have 18 visitors the weekend of June 10 th including 8 commits and 3 more the next weekend.
I believe they will try to sign about 22 in this year’s 2023 class. Coach Fleck likes to finish his recruiting classes early and other than a Jaxon Howard, it is usually first come- first served.

QB—is done for the year. With Knuth and Kaliakmanis in the fold, the commitment of Viotto from MI will set us there for the year. Most teams take 1 QB each year. (1 QB/Done)

RB—lose Ibrahim and Williams this year and Potts is an unknown, thus with Evan’s only as a future, the Gophers could take 2 RB this year. The already have 1 in Taylor who is coming in with his HS buddy the QB Viotto on June 10th. No other visits from RB lined up, but I could see 1 more, especially because Taylor is versatile. ( 1 RB committed/ 1 more??)

WR—Have some older guys and I see Coach Fleck taking 2-3. Not a lot of underclass guys, so this will be an area of focus. Anthony Brown, the brother of Stephens is still on the Board. He will be a take if he wants to come here. The Gophers have Ryan Manning, from the same HS as Ike White visiting, and there are some others that are on the radar like Cooley from NC. ( 0 WR committed/2 to 3 more)

TE— coach Fleck has a lot of TE on the radar. Most seem to be of the pass catching variety to replace BSF. Last year, he got Jones and Alvarez to back up Kallerup as the blocking TE. Geers will get a look as a pass catcher. I see probably 2 TE type. They already have Walsh from IL in the fold. He is a hybrid WR/TE type and could serve as a big WR like Northwestern always has. Ortwerth from Stl. I really like. We have competition for him and would gladly take his commitment. Another TE prospect is coming in from FL the next week. ( 1 TE committed/ 1 more)

OL—the Gophers really need an influx of OL, especially IOL and center. They have 3 Minnesota OL commits, with one being an interior guy ( Williams). Tripp and Johnson will likely be tackles. I see them taking 1-2 more linemen including 1 that could play Center. In addition to the 3 commits, Mister from IN and Daniels an inside guy from OH are visiting and we would accept their commitments. (3 OL commits/ 2 more)

Defense
DT—I think they feel pretty good about their young DT and will only take 1-2 maximum. Owusu from Prior Lake is committed. They have 2 big time DT coming in Gadson from GA who is being recruited by everybody and Davis from Moorhead. (1 DT committed/ probably 1 more ).

DE—Have some young guys they like, but probably are in the market for 2 DE. No commits so far, but obviously Howard is the number 1 recruit. They also have a very good edge guy in Williams from Louisiana coming in and Menz from ND. They would love to get Howard and another this weekend (0 committe/ 2 more)

LB—They lose MSM, Oliver and Aune. Need an influx here. At least 2 LB including an inside guy. Have Chambliss from Cali visiting on the 17th. have another guy from GA listed as warm. Still work to do here. A NE athlete is coming in on the 17th and could be an option here. Might see a portal transfer here later (0 committed/2 more)

CB—have Walley Stapp and Bishop for another year after this. Have Bryan from GA in the fold. Probably 1 more. (1 committed/1 remaining)

Safety—Probably 1. Howden’s last year. They like Dixon and Green. (0 committed/ 1 more)

the punter commit McGrath is also visiting on the 10 th.
a 22 person class is
1 QBViotto
2 RB Taylor and another more between the tackles guy
3 WR could count Walsh possibly. 2 out of 3 of Brown, Cooley and Manning would be good
2 TE Walsh and possibly Orwerth would be great. Henry would be a backup plan
5 OL iol Williams, OT Tripp and Johnson who could play inside, 2 more 1 inside Center candidate and 1 possible OT
2 DT Owusu and Gadson or Davis would work great
2 DE. Howard please and maybe Williams or Menz
2 LB probably recruits we have not talked about. McCutchin and Chambliss would work.
2 CB Bryan and 1 more
1 safety
22 total

june 10 th dream—Howard, Williams, Gadson/Davis, and Orwerth would commit.

Ravon Johnson from ga, is visiting the weekend of the 17th... Hes listed as an edge but is being recruited as a lb. He had us listed as warmer for the past 5 months that is now downgraded to warm.

The next couple of weeks are huge for Gopher football recruiting as they have 18 visitors the weekend of June 10 th including 8 commits and 3 more the next weekend.
I believe they will try to sign about 22 in this year’s 2023 class. Coach Fleck likes to finish his recruiting classes early and other than a Jaxon Howard, it is usually first come- first served.

QB—is done for the year. With Knuth and Kaliakmanis in the fold, the commitment of Viotto from MI will set us there for the year. Most teams take 1 QB each year. (1 QB/Done)

RB—lose Ibrahim and Williams this year and Potts is an unknown, thus with Evan’s only as a future, the Gophers could take 2 RB this year. The already have 1 in Taylor who is coming in with his HS buddy the QB Viotto on June 10th. No other visits from RB lined up, but I could see 1 more, especially because Taylor is versatile. ( 1 RB committed/ 1 more??)

WR—Have some older guys and I see Coach Fleck taking 2-3. Not a lot of underclass guys, so this will be an area of focus. Anthony Brown, the brother of Stephens is still on the Board. He will be a take if he wants to come here. The Gophers have Ryan Manning, from the same HS as Ike White visiting, and there are some others that are on the radar like Cooley from NC. ( 0 WR committed/2 to 3 more)

TE— coach Fleck has a lot of TE on the radar. Most seem to be of the pass catching variety to replace BSF. Last year, he got Jones and Alvarez to back up Kallerup as the blocking TE. Geers will get a look as a pass catcher. I see probably 2 TE type. They already have Walsh from IL in the fold. He is a hybrid WR/TE type and could serve as a big WR like Northwestern always has. Ortwerth from Stl. I really like. We have competition for him and would gladly take his commitment. Another TE prospect is coming in from FL the next week. ( 1 TE committed/ 1 more)

OL—the Gophers really need an influx of OL, especially IOL and center. They have 3 Minnesota OL commits, with one being an interior guy ( Williams). Tripp and Johnson will likely be tackles. I see them taking 1-2 more linemen including 1 that could play Center. In addition to the 3 commits, Mister from IN and Daniels an inside guy from OH are visiting and we would accept their commitments. (3 OL commits/ 2 more)

Defense
DT—I think they feel pretty good about their young DT and will only take 1-2 maximum. Owusu from Prior Lake is committed. They have 2 big time DT coming in Gadson from GA who is being recruited by everybody and Davis from Moorhead. (1 DT committed/ probably 1 more ).

DE—Have some young guys they like, but probably are in the market for 2 DE. No commits so far, but obviously Howard is the number 1 recruit. They also have a very good edge guy in Williams from Louisiana coming in and Menz from ND. They would love to get Howard and another this weekend (0 committe/ 2 more)

LB—They lose MSM, Oliver and Aune. Need an influx here. At least 2 LB including an inside guy. Have Chambliss from Cali visiting on the 17th. have another guy from GA listed as warm. Still work to do here. A NE athlete is coming in on the 17th and could be an option here. Might see a portal transfer here later (0 committed/2 more)

CB—have Walley Stapp and Bishop for another year after this. Have Bryan from GA in the fold. Probably 1 more. (1 committed/1 remaining)

Safety—Probably 1. Howden’s last year. They like Dixon and Green. (0 committed/ 1 more)

the punter commit McGrath is also visiting on the 10 th.
a 22 person class is
1 QBViotto
2 RB Taylor and another more between the tackles guy
3 WR could count Walsh possibly. 2 out of 3 of Brown, Cooley and Manning would be good
2 TE Walsh and possibly Orwerth would be great. Henry would be a backup plan
5 OL iol Williams, OT Tripp and Johnson who could play inside, 2 more 1 inside Center candidate and 1 possible OT
2 DT Owusu and Gadson or Davis would work great
2 DE. Howard please and maybe Williams or Menz
2 LB probably recruits we have not talked about. McCutchin and Chambliss would work.
2 CB Bryan and 1 more
1 safety
22 total

june 10 th dream—Howard, Williams, Gadson/Davis, and Orwerth would commit.

Nice breakdown. One catch though: looks like Braelen Oliver has another year of eligibility after this year if he wants it. https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/braelen-oliver/20457

I could be wrong but someone told me that Taylor and Williams were very similar and Williams might not be coming. I could easily be wrong. Taylor could also be a slot back I suppose. I hope Williams does visit and commit. He is a good back

I could be wrong but someone told me that Taylor and Williams were very similar and Williams might not be coming. I could easily be wrong. Taylor could also be a slot back I suppose. I hope Williams does visit and commit. He is a good back
He included us in his Top 7 post after Taylor committed, for whatever that's worth.

Rivals also has a new CB in for us at WR in Yazeed Haynes, who decommitted from Rutgers after we offered.

Bryce Williams is eligible to return for 2023, unless your are predicting he enters the transfer portal or retires.

I've given up on speculating about future rosters and high school recruitment. It's all going to change a lot every year so I'm just algae in the stream floating with the current and tides, and when they tell me it's time for the first game, I show up and row the boat.

I've given up on speculating about future rosters and high school recruitment. It's all going to change a lot every year so I'm just algae in the stream floating with the current and tides, and when they tell me it's time for the first game, I show up and row the boat.
It’s a new day in college sports

This. I enjoy following recruiting. But we don't know much about PJs process. I appreciate what the OP did here but inevitably someone will commit that is under the radar and the board will loose its shit....MAC recruiting...Kill level...blah blah blah...

I continue to think PJ has elevated the Gophers to be on par with its peers in the B1G (minus OSU and probably PSU/Mich) and hope he continues to elevate the talent and keeps developing them!

Does Owusu project as a DT at this point? That’s kind of surprising if true.

I like following recruiting, but it is different now. Its also clear that all positions are important, but I get more juiced when we recruit WR who can score some easy TD's for us, and DL who can get us some sacks. Those guys seem to be at a premium.

Just curious what is the difference between this 2023 thread and the other one?

Just curious what is the difference between this 2023 thread and the other one?
Location and the fact this sparked actual more recent Gopher recruiting discussion.
Everything will be okay.

Top Bottom