2023 Recruiting finishing up

Jeremyp

Reaction score
This has been a fun summer with Gopher recruiting. It is possible that most of the Gopher recruiting will be done within 2 weeks. The wrench that is thrown in to predicting who the Gophers get is i do not know anything about NIL. Are the Gopher boosters competitive with it? Are we equal in NIL to other non helmet Power 5 schools? one of my best friends kids went to Iowa St. and got a sunflower seed deal for about $100 a month. That was it, but he is a low 3 star.

what they have
QB Viotto. They are happy and done here.
RB Williams and Taylor. Done and happy here
WR Hayes and T. Brown. They are definitely not done here.
TE Peters and Walsh. Done here unless Ortwerth
OL Williams, Tripp, Johnson, Mister. Want 1 more IOL
Special teams. Got preferred walk on long snapper and punter McGrath maybe a kicker
DT Owusu. Could use 1 more
DE Menz. Big game hunting here. Want 1 more but would take the right too
LB McCutchin and Elliott. Pretty happy but would take 1 more.
CB Bryan. Would like 1 more
S Brown and Monroe (although you could consider him a cab also). Happy and done here.

At first, I thought it would be a 20-22 person class. Now I think 23 to 25.

up to 7 spots
1-2 WR
1IOL
1 DT
1-2 DE
1CB
1 LB or TE

WR
A. Brown. I believe he is out. Not in Final 5
T. Cooley In final 7. As likely as any other school, but I say 30%
Frederic Moore. Final 5. Did not sound as excited about us vs. Cinncy, A and M, Michigan and Illinois 20%
could be others not yet on the radar
TE ortwerth 20%
IOL
Daniels. Final 3. 45%

DT
Davis us or Iowa St. 50%
Gadson. 20%. I see a FSU or SEC type
could have others not on radar yet

DE
Howard 40%. I think us or Miami. Will know in a week
A. Williams. Recruitment is very quiet. One poster said he was a heavy Neb. lean. Only visits so far to Mn. And Neb. 30%
T. Williams and others. Offers not commitable Until after the above two decide

LB. Newsom only current target. I think he will commit to Iowa or Stanford. 20%

CB
Moss I feel good about him. Us or Baylor. 60%
Fleming. He has more local options. 30%

Ideal completion of class: WR Moore, IOL Daniels, DT Davis, DE Howard, DE A. Williams, LB Newsom, CB Moss

Howard alone would make this a successful class. If we get 4 out of 7; I would be elated with this class. I would be satisfied if it was just Howard or 3 of these without Howard. I would be a little disappointed if it was 2 or less and no Howard.

Thanks for the nice summary.

With 18 commits the class is already winding down, however, I don’t think it gets wrapped up any time soon. I am not confident in any of the targets you’ve listed actually committing here. Like Moore, I give him zero chance. The instate guys, Davis and Howard, I dunno, I don’t think it’s a good sign when they have the offer, but take a long time to commit. Maybe some high profile in stater has done that, but I don’t recall any off the top of my head. Newsom doesn’t sound promising. Daniels I think we have a decent chance with. Moss and Williams I think are diminishing by the day. So personally I don’t think we fill out the class with well known targets in the coming weeks, but that’s fine. Last year we landed 6 guys in October or later. Including 3 or 4 right before the early signed day in December. So while the bulk of the class is wrapped up, barring decommits which can always arise and often do, I think we have many twists and turns to see who the last half dozen or so guys will be.

Top Bottom