2023 Participation Log

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Looking at participation for the season here are a couple items of interest.

Kerry Brown: The freshmen DB played his first snaps against Iowa and had a tackle. Special teams?

Jackson Hunter: 3rd year OL Played against Nebraska, but is on the travel squad and traveled to Iowa. Interested where he fits on depth chart and how many OL do we take on the road.

Tyler Bride: Freshmen DB. has played in 4 games. Nebraska, NW, MI, IA.

Do you have a link that shows the season participation? I just look at each game on Gophersports.com?

Just found it.

Last edited:

I thought Tyler Bride was a transfer, but didn't think he was a Freshman.

5 games left in regular season plus possible Bowl Game.

will be interesting to see if coaches take advantage of the 4-game rule and get some younger players game experience without losing their Redshirt year.

depending on the injuries at RB, I wouldn't mind seeing Marquese Williams get a few snaps. same thing at WR.

5 games left in regular season plus possible Bowl Game.

will be interesting to see if coaches take advantage of the 4-game rule and get some younger players game experience without losing their Redshirt year.

depending on the injuries at RB, I wouldn't mind seeing Marquese Williams get a few snaps. same thing at WR.
Agree. If Williams is still at 175 lbs, I hope that they attempt to minimize the number of hits he takes.

Here is the link for those that want to see for themselves:

Thought it was interesting that McDonald played against Michigan but not against Iowa. Assume maybe he was dinged up for this game or maybe we didn't have a need for an extra DB.

Agree. If Williams is still at 175 lbs, I hope that they attempt to minimize the number of hits he takes.
Lets
Let’s not worry too much about his weight. Playing out of top PA conference his offer sheet was more impressive than Taylor’s.

What’s the word on the Hoskins kid, isn’t he supposed to be lightning in a bottle??

Honest question for you who follow football details more closely than I do. In the era of free transfers and NIL, is keeping the redshirt all that important anymore? From afar, it doesn’t seem like it. If a guy can contribute as a freshman, shouldn’t he get the playing time? I know it’s a lot harder for true freshman to contribute in football than basketball, but in this era it seems like keeping many guys for five or more years will be rare. So why worry too much about redshirts?

Honest question for you who follow football details more closely than I do. In the era of free transfers and NIL, is keeping the redshirt all that important anymore? From afar, it doesn’t seem like it. If a guy can contribute as a freshman, shouldn’t he get the playing time? I know it’s a lot harder for true freshman to contribute in football than basketball, but in this era it seems like keeping many guys for five or more years will be rare. So why worry too much about redshirts?
Fleck will play a true freshman if he’s better than someone on the field. Taylor is this year’s example. What he doesn’t do is play them just for experience other than the four allowed games.

Here is the link for those that want to see for themselves:

Thought it was interesting that McDonald played against Michigan but not against Iowa. Assume maybe he was dinged up for this game or maybe we didn't have a need for an extra DB.
I don't know the answer, but McDonald only entered the Michigan game after Jack Henderson got hurt. With Henderson back for Iowa, it's possible they went back to the normal rotation.

#49 Matt Kinsbury played in his first game Saturday recording 4 tackles
#44 Tyler Stolsky stepped in a play a bunch of snaps at LB. He's been a regular on Special teams.

What are the odds that some of the committed class of 24 see the field next year? Seems to be a very solid class.

What are the odds that some of the committed class of 24 see the field next year? Seems to be a very solid class.
We know one for sure. Seems like there's a special thread somewhere on him running a few hundred pages.

It's a big jump, but if they are here in January, I can see some playing. Looking at the roster there are a lot of guys coming back and barring injuries a number of them will be building off some playing time this year.

We need to find a few grads or 1-year guys to come in and compete at a number of positions.

It's a big jump, but if they are here in January, I can see some playing. Looking at the roster there are a lot of guys coming back and barring injuries a number of them will be building off some playing time this year.

We need to find a few grads or 1-year guys to come in and compete at a number of positions.
We're going to have to consider some value players getting snatched in the portal too thanks to NIL. I can absolutley see some of our guys looking at this season and getting an offer from a team with a better record saying "I don't want a repeat of this," and leaving. When you look at some of the so-so guys we had leave this past offseason who would've added some much needed depth to the roster, it's bound to happen again. We're absolutely going to go full developmental program for the bigger schools.

Top Bottom