2023-24 Inside the Hall Season Preview: Minnesota Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Alex:

Bottom line: Minnesota faces an uphill battle to escape the Big Ten cellar. The Gophers haven’t had a winning record since the 2018-19 season and haven’t finished better than .500 in conference play since the 2016-17 season. Garcia is a solid piece to build around, but the rest of the roster has major question marks. Johnson is relying heavily on transfers and young players, which is a difficult way to operate in the Big Ten. If Minnesota can win four or five more games than it did last season and improve its Big Ten win total, it could be enough to earn Johnson a fourth season.

Quotable: “The first two years, obviously, we kind of knew what it was. It’s a process. So now, going into year three, to have a full roster, knock on wood, to be able to have a summer where there’s no signficant injuries… now you feel like you’re hitting the floor and the ground running. To be able to have multiple guys back from last year is a huge benefit. And I love the energy, whether that’s transfers or new guys. There’s new energy, guys are driven and motivated. Fun group to be around, they live in the gym and excited to take the next step.” – Johnson earlier this month.

Go Gophers!!

No upgrades at coach, unfortunately! But maybe his skills have been masked by poor players.

Per Alex:

Johnson is relying heavily on transfers and young players, which is a difficult way to operate in the Big Ten.

Actually, I suspect a fair share of conference teams are doing just that this season. We're certainly less reliant on transfers than Penn State and less reliant on young players than Iowa (4 true freshman).

First two years we knew what it was? He guaranteed MN wouldn’t finish last? Ridiculous.
Yeah WTF does he even mean? Multiple coaches who followed their "process" also had quick turnarounds within 1st 2 seasons. It's like he is acknowledging how aware he was that he put together a terrible roster and last place was inevitable... after famously guaranteeing he wouldn't finish last year 1. This quote is legendary.

First two years we knew what it was? He guaranteed MN wouldn’t finish last? Ridiculous.

Here's a little exercise for you: count how many times you post that in a week. Didn't any one ever tell you that lines lose their effect with repetition? You seem to fancy yourself as a bit of a comedian but no comedian will be successful if he performs the same routine day after day to the same audience.

Here's a little exercise for you: count how many times you post that in a week. Didn't any one ever tell you that lines lose their effect with repetition? You seem to fancy yourself as a bit of a comedian but no comedian will be successful if he performs the same routine day after day to the same audience.
Unfortunately if the results don’t improve it’s no longer a comedy routine

The joke doesn't stop being funny if it still reveals truth. The Common Man says hello to the bolded portion : )

I like Payne, like García, optimistic about Hawkins. Always a little leery of players out of California, hence my reservations on Mitchell. Christie is intriguing. Happy for the two that are finally going to hit the court. Carrington and Ola-Joseph should be ok. No clue on Betts. Wilson? The Euro?
They literally all should see some minutes with this Charmin out of conference schedule.
I am an idiot, looking forward to the season.

Per Alex:

Bottom line: Minnesota faces an uphill battle to escape the Big Ten cellar. The Gophers haven’t had a winning record since the 2018-19 season and haven’t finished better than .500 in conference play since the 2016-17 season. Garcia is a solid piece to build around, but the rest of the roster has major question marks. Johnson is relying heavily on transfers and young players, which is a difficult way to operate in the Big Ten. If Minnesota can win four or five more games than it did last season and improve its Big Ten win total, it could be enough to earn Johnson a fourth season.

Quotable: “The first two years, obviously, we kind of knew what it was. It’s a process. So now, going into year three, to have a full roster, knock on wood, to be able to have a summer where there’s no signficant injuries… now you feel like you’re hitting the floor and the ground running. To be able to have multiple guys back from last year is a huge benefit. And I love the energy, whether that’s transfers or new guys. There’s new energy, guys are driven and motivated. Fun group to be around, they live in the gym and excited to take the next step.” – Johnson earlier this month.

Go Gophers!!
I just hope that when Ben is let go (it will happen eventually) that he comes clean and admits #1. He should have never been offered the job. #2. He was, is and will most likely always be, over his head as a HC at a P6. I would love to sit down with him as the interviewer at a P6 and ask him to defend his resume and tell me what qualifies him to be a HC at a P6 (or any college for that matter).

I just hope that when Ben is let go (it will happen eventually) that he comes clean and admits #1. He should have never been offered the job. #2. He was, is and will most likely always be, over his head as a HC at a P6. I would love to sit down with him as the interviewer at a P6 and ask him to defend his resume and tell me what qualifies him to be a HC at a P6 (or any college for that matter).
This will never happen, he didn't even take ownership for blowing his not last place guarantee. I haven't really heard or read him own up to much for that matter. If I'm wrong, someone please provide quotes.

This will never happen, he didn't even take ownership for blowing his not last place guarantee. I haven't really heard or read him own up to much for that matter. If I'm wrong, someone please provide quotes.
More pissed at Coyle anyway. Ben would have been foolish to not accept the offer. Called his buddy, "Hey Joe, guess what? The gophers just offered me 2 mil to be their HC". Joe-"Are they brain dead over there?" Ben-"Must be to make me an offer like that".

Ben did learn from Pitino on how to act like everything is a okay.

He was qualified by being hired.

That question needs to be asked of Coyle and the Regents.

Two years experience as a Head Coach in the Big Ten?

I like Payne, like García, optimistic about Hawkins. Always a little leery of players out of California, hence my reservations on Mitchell. Christie is intriguing. Happy for the two that are finally going to hit the court. Carrington and Ola-Joseph should be ok. No clue on Betts. Wilson? The Euro?
They literally all should see some minutes with this Charmin out of conference schedule.
I am an idiot, looking forward to the season.
At least you’re a loyal idiot 😃

Top Bottom