2023-2024 Season Depth Chart (Based on what we know right now)

GopherBlood777

Reaction score
Subtractions: Samuels (100% gone no more eligibility), Battle/Cooper (1 year remaining but seem to have the desire to forego their last year of eligibility) Not speculating on anyone else transferring at this point.
Additions: Christie

PG: ???/???
G2: Carrington/Christie
G3: Henley/???
F: Garcia/JOJ/Betts/Ihnen/Fox
C: Payne/Thompson/???

Not counting on Ihnen/Fox for really anything. We watched Curry in his first season back after missing multiple full seasons and it was not pretty. Anything we get from those two should be considered an extreme bonus and right now are 12th/13th on the depth chart. I would love to see us get 1 primary ball handler, 1 back up ball handler, a combo guard who can run back up point if needed (preferably someone who can shoot), and 1 bruising C who can rebound and play defense against the bigger B1G post players. We tried running a 2 guard/3 forward lineup for most of this season and we saw the results. This is why I structured the depth chart as a 3 Guard/2 Forward lineup instead. Players were listed at their best natural position in my opinion. We have 4 scholarships to fill already, unless Ben plans on giving one to Ramberg again. Even though many think/want Thompson to transfer, not sure that would really be advantageous considering what already needs to be filled in the portal. He is our next closest thing to a Center right now. Could you imagine Fox/Ihnen trying to guard Crowl in the post? At least Thompson has length to contend with that kind of player. If Ben knocks it out of the park with these 4 scholarships, we could be much improved next season? Go Gophers!

Add 2 PGs and a shooter, or some combo of that, and this can be a competitive club if well coached. Need to be rock solid defensively and be smart with shot selection.

I haven't seen that from this staff.

Subtractions: Samuels (100% gone no more eligibility), Battle/Cooper (1 year remaining but seem to have the desire to forego their last year of eligibility) Not speculating on anyone else transferring at this point.

Not counting on Ihnen/Fox for really anything. We watched Curry in his first season back after missing multiple full seasons and it was not pretty. Anything we get from those two should be considered an extreme bonus and right now are 12th/13th on the depth chart. I would love to see us get 1 primary ball handler, 1 back up ball handler, a combo guard who can run back up point if needed (preferably someone who can shoot), and 1 bruising C who can rebound and play defense against the bigger B1G post players. We tried running a 2 guard/3 forward lineup for most of this season and we saw the results. This is why I structured the depth chart as a 3 Guard/2 Forward lineup instead. Players were listed at their best natural position in my opinion. We have 4 scholarships to fill already, unless Ben plans on giving one to Ramberg again. Even though many think/want Thompson to transfer, not sure that would really be advantageous considering what already needs to be filled in the portal. He is our next closest thing to a Center right now. Could you imagine Fox/Ihnen trying to guard Crowl in the post? At least Thompson has length to contend with that kind of player. If Ben knocks it out of the park with these 4 scholarships, we could be much improved next season? Go Gophers!
Based on this season, Garcia is still the starting center with Payne coming in off the bench unless BJ has been reading gopherhole and starts Payne with Garcia. Also, Henley has been used to bring the ball up the court much this year so expect he as well as Carrington and Christie will sub whatever pg BJ gets in the portal. I think Ben will try Ihnen at the SF spot next year.

Based on this season, Garcia is still the starting center with Payne coming in off the bench unless BJ has been reading gopherhole and starts Payne with Garcia. Also, Henley has been used to bring the ball up the court much this year so expect he as well as Carrington and Christie will sub whatever pg BJ gets in the portal. I think Ben will try Ihnen at the SF spot next year.
He should be doing this already.

PG: Portal / Portal
G2: Portal /Christie / Carrington
G3: Henley/Betts
C: Payne/Portal/Thompson/

PG (transfer target Issac McBride (JR)- Oral Roberts)
SG (transfer target Zeke Mayo (SO) SDSU *stud*

Need 2 of the three to leave (fox, ihnen, thompson)

PG: Portal / Portal
G2: Portal /Christie / Carrington
G3: Henley/Betts
C: Payne/Portal/Thompson/

PG (transfer target Issac McBride (JR)- Oral Roberts)
SG (transfer target Zeke Mayo (SO) SDSU *stud*

Need 2 of the three to leave (fox, ihnen, thompson)
Love this. Just not sure why those targets would come here

Love this. Just not sure why those targets would come here
Bring the Oral Roberts coach along as well for that matter.

For McBride: oral Roberts will suffer as their coach may leave once abmas (spelling) leaves which I assume is this year. He may want to try his skills at the P6. We offer immediate playing time. Payne / Garcia are good. JOJ serviceable and you partner him with another fast offensive focused guard and we can play. Also, MSP is great for post college jobs (if he thinks about that).

Mayo: he would get huge playing time, get to shoulder the offensive load along with Garcia and it would build his resume for future pro prospects (most likely Europe or g-league). It’s a good story.

But the shitty sell is how slow of a tempo the gophers play…it’s a turnoff. Even if we won last night, it’s ugly basketball

So all we need to do is replace 25-33% of our roster with guys who could be all conference, avoid all injuries, make sure everyone else returns and we are set! 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Some of you live in dream land. Those things aren't happening in the real world

So all we need to do is replace 25-33% of our roster with guys who could be all conference, avoid all injuries, make sure everyone else returns and we are set! 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

What are other B1G team's rosters looking like next season?

It's damn near fact at this point that it's just not going to happen for Ben here.

I'm sure we will wait on the buyout. 8 to 4 is a decent drop after next year.

Last edited:

Depends on what bar you are setting. If you are setting the bar of win the conference next year then yeah it is highly unlikely to happen.

But getting to .500 in conference is not a pipe dream if you can find the right guys. There is a core to build around, with some obvious pieces missing. Find those pieces and things can improve quickly. Fail to find those pieces and we are probably in the market for a new coach next year.

Apparently "a couple of bench players were injured" and "our freshman improved over the course of the season" are all we have left to cling to. Thankfully, neither of those things happen anywhere else.

Apparently "a couple of bench players were injured" and "our freshman improved over the course of the season" are all we have left to cling to. Thankfully, neither of those things happen anywhere else.
Ben's umbrella insurance coverage runs out at the end of this next season. He sees Betts, Ihnen and Fox in workouts and practice (or at what ever level they are cleared for). If he thinks they won't be able to help him much, he is going to do all he can to find others who will. For the first time- Ben is coaching for his job this next season and that season starts over this next month.

So if our Freshmen played big minutes and other teams played Seniors big minutes, we shouldn't have any hope that we will move ahead of some teams?

Ben's umbrella insurance coverage runs out at the end of this next season. He sees Betts, Ihnen and Fox in workouts and practice (or at what ever level they are cleared for). If he thinks they won't be able to help him much, he is going to do all he can to find others who will. For the first time- Ben is coaching for his job this next season and that season starts over this next month.
Too deep for me

I agree with most of these, but I can imagine Ihnen, assuming he recovers well from his surgeries (and nobody knows how he'll recover yet) guarding Crowl. Why? Because Ihnen is a very good athlete, he's made himself stronger, and he's a very good defender with a 7'4 wingspan. Of course, he and Fox will be a mystery until they show up and play. But I would take Ihnen at 80% over Thompson any day of the week. I don't believe Thompson can become a Big Ten player unless he increases his strength a huge amount, learns to box out and rebound much better, and learns some post moves that he hasn't shown before. That's a lot to ask. As stated previously, it was evident against the Badgers that we can use a bit of length and physicality down low. Ihnen could give us that if he can come back and still move well. He's not the bum that many of these posters portray him as, he can be an asset to this team.

I agree with most of these, but I can imagine Ihnen, assuming he recovers well from his surgeries (and nobody knows how he'll recover yet) guarding Crowl. Why? Because Ihnen is a very good athlete, he's made himself stronger, and he's a very good defender with a 7'4 wingspan. Of course, he and Fox will be a mystery until they show up and play. But I would take Ihnen at 80% over Thompson any day of the week. I don't believe Thompson can become a Big Ten player unless he increases his strength a huge amount, learns to box out and rebound much better, and learns some post moves that he hasn't shown before. That's a lot to ask. As stated previously, it was evident against the Badgers that we can use a bit of length and physicality down low. Ihnen could give us that if he can come back and still move well. He's not the bum that many of these posters portray him as, he can be an asset to this team.
Trust me, I want Ihnen to be good and would love to see him play well. He was one of my favorite players in Pitino's final seasons and would have helped tremendously last year at the forward position. It's just hard to realistically count on him to produce until we actually see it happen. I would take TT at this point until II can prove he can get on the floor. I still think he would get bullied by true centers in the paint. Ben was allegedly slotting him in at the 2, so not sure how much weight/muscle he put on if he was trying to play guard and recover from a knee injury, and now a second knee injury. I think he would make a quality forward at the 3/4 spots if he can stay healthy.

Trust me, I want Ihnen to be good and would love to see him play well. He was one of my favorite players in Pitino's final seasons and would have helped tremendously last year at the forward position. It's just hard to realistically count on him to produce until we actually see it happen. I would take TT at this point until II can prove he can get on the floor. I still think he would get bullied by true centers in the paint. Ben was allegedly slotting him in at the 2, so not sure how much weight/muscle he put on if he was trying to play guard and recover from a knee injury, and now a second knee injury. I think he would make a quality forward at the 3/4 spots if he can stay healthy.
Agree that it's hard to realistically count on him, no way to know how he'll respond. Again, I'd take him at 80%.TT seems like a nice kid, but If we're playing him significant minutes next year things will be pretty grim, once again. Let's hope that modern medicine, improved surgical techniques, and training can allow us to watch a team with some competent depth next year!

So if our Freshmen played big minutes and other teams played Seniors big minutes, we shouldn't have any hope that we will move ahead of some teams?
In this case, no not really. Which senior laden B1G team do you see us surging past specifically? Maybe Wisconsin? Nebraska seems ahead of us on the rebuild timeline. OSU has a top recruiting class coming in, much better than ours I believe. And everyone else is 7+ games ahead of us.

Top Bottom