2022 Schedule

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
Just took a look at next years schedule, and whoa it is heavily weighted on the front end with home games, 5 of them to start the year off with:

Thursday Sep. 1 New Mexico State Aggies

Saturday Sep. 10 Western Illinois Leathernecks

Saturday Sep. 17 Colorado Buffaloes

Saturday Sep. 24 Iowa Hawkeyes

Saturday Oct. 1 Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Then its on the road for 5 of the last 7

Saturday Oct. 8 at Illinois

Saturday Oct. 15 Purdue Boilermakers

Saturday Oct. 22 at Nebraska Cornhuskers

Saturday Oct 29 Open Date

Saturday Nov 5 at Michigan State Spartans

Saturday Nov 12 Northwestern Wildcats

Saturday Nov 19 at Penn State Nitty Lions

Saturday Nov 26 at Wisconsin Badgers

A nice part of this is it keeps us out of the the Bank for most of the time when the weather could be really cold and crappy but those are also some of the more enjoyable games to go to.

Schedules for Iowa, Minnesota, and wisconsin all tough next year IMO

if someone contends simply due to easy schedule it’s going to be Purdue or Nebraska IMO

well, stating the obvious -

Non-conf:
Colorado returns - call it even.
Trade Bowling Green (4-8) and Miami (OH) 6-6 for New Mexico State (2-10) and Western Illinois 2-9.

first glance looks like 2022 non-conf easier on paper.

Conference cross-over
trade OSU (10-2), Maryland (6-6) & Indiana (2-10) for MSU (10-2), PSU (7-5) and Rutgers (5-7).

first glance - cross-over games look slightly more difficult on paper.

so, overall, I would say 2022 on paper is equal to 2021 or maybe slightly more difficult due to the cross-over games.

bottom line. Have to go 3-0 in non-conference.

I was just looking ahead also, sort of a boring year in terms of any quality high profile teams that’ll come into the Bank. PSU towards the end of the year right before Wisconsin will be interesting.

BUT if you look ahead to our 2023 schedule when Bucko and Ky Thomas will be in their Junior year with possibly Athan or Knuth at QB. Open the season with Nebraska and we get ALL Michigan, Michigan State AND Ohio State! NOW that will be exciting to see!

if someone contends simply due to easy schedule it’s going to be Purdue or Nebraska IMO
I agree all tough schedules. IMHO, IA and WI will have it tougher.
IA opens BIG season at MN and plays MI at home and away aganst tOSU (although 2nd half of BIG season much easier).
WI plays at MSU and their last 4 games following their bye week are vs Neb, at tOSU, at Iowa and vs MN.

On paper, it looks like a favorable schedule at the start with all those home games but 3 of our 4 losses were at home this year.

well, stating the obvious -

Non-conf:
Colorado returns - call it even.
Trade Bowling Green (4-8) and Miami (OH) 6-6 for New Mexico State (2-10) and Western Illinois 2-9.

first glance looks like 2022 non-conf easier on paper.

Conference cross-over
trade OSU (10-2), Maryland (6-6) & Indiana (2-10) for MSU (10-2), PSU (7-5) and Rutgers (5-7).

first glance - cross-over games look slightly more difficult on paper.

so, overall, I would say 2022 on paper is equal to 2021 or maybe slightly more difficult due to the cross-over games.

bottom line. Have to go 3-0 in non-conference.

Well I might dispute that....going into last season I think most people expected that Indiana would be as good as if not better than Michigan State. Sure after the season everyone would say Michigan State is much better than Indiana....but going into the season I don't think most people thought that.

I'm glad Maryland was switched with Michigan State for the crossover game. Should be a fun one to watch.

I was just looking ahead also, sort of a boring year in terms of any quality high profile teams that’ll come into the Bank. PSU towards the end of the year right before Wisconsin will be interesting.

BUT if you look ahead to our 2023 schedule when Bucko and Ky Thomas will be in their Junior year with possibly Athan or Knuth at QB. Open the season with Nebraska and we get ALL Michigan, Michigan State AND Ohio State! NOW that will be exciting to see!
We go to Penn State and then go to Wisconsin to end the season next year.

I still think our schedule is slightly easier than Nebraska's next season. Purdue does have a very favorable schedule.

Purdue has very favorable cross over games. Iowa has OSU and Michigan.

In the years of 8 Conf games and 4 early non Conf games, especially under Mason, I used to get really frustrated with the absence of power 5 noncon foes. It was always a full month of Toledo and hyphens and a 4-0 record, followed by 2 or 3 B1G wins and a forgettable bowl, it seemed.

would have killed for noncon opponents like Colorado on the schedule in those days.

@ Michigan State

@Penn State

Heavy road on the back end.

I don’t think this is an easy schedule at all.

We've all said things that we regret. I'm hoping for a good game next fall without everyone getting in the mud.
There will be plenty of "mud". Unfortunately it's the way of the world now.

Top Bottom