2022 Best Mexican Restaurant In Every College Town (Minnesota: Burrito Loco)

Until you go to Mexico and experience the numerous off the path MaPa places to eat, the upper midwest Mexican cuisine pretty much sucks. Freshness, history and atmosphere matters. Fish, shrimp, pollo, vegs, fruit, spices, fresh guac, fresh home made tortillas, etc. grown in the Mexican soil and snagged that day are difficult to duplicate.

The best Mexican we have indulged in stateside is Santa Leyanda in tiny Washburn, WI. Living in Bayfield, WI. we have not dined at any of the pre-mentioned in the TC's. In fairness, maybe I would change my opinion.
Have you been to West St. Paul?

Until you go to Mexico and experience the numerous off the path MaPa places to eat, the upper midwest Mexican cuisine pretty much sucks. Freshness, history and atmosphere matters. Fish, shrimp, pollo, vegs, fruit, spices, fresh guac, fresh home made tortillas, etc. grown in the Mexican soil and snagged that day are difficult to duplicate.

The best Mexican we have indulged in stateside is Santa Leyanda in tiny Washburn, WI. Living in Bayfield, WI. we have not dined at any of the pre-mentioned in the TC's. In fairness, maybe I would change my opinion.
ridiculous generalization. in line with jill biden comment. If you're in Chiapas, Campeche, etc., yeah, veggies are great. Coastal areas, seafood is a focus. Chihuahua, Cohula, it's mostly about meat, tortilla and queso fresco. It's like the US. Language, food, customs are regional.

I'll agree with you that geography is less important than some would assume in the US as far as Mexican food. I have had way better Mexican/central american food at places the twin cities than I've had in many parts of texas as a resident of both places.

There was nothing wrong with Jill Biden's comment. That was folks going way out of their way to take it out of context and gloss over the actual comparison she was making.

Anyway!

ridiculous generalization. in line with jill biden comment. If you're in Chiapas, Campeche, etc., yeah, veggies are great. Coastal areas, seafood is a focus. Chihuahua, Cohula, it's mostly about meat, tortilla and queso fresco. It's like the US. Language, food, customs are regional.

I'll agree with you that geography is less important than some would assume in the US as far as Mexican food. I have had way better Mexican/central american food at places the twin cities than I've had in many parts of texas as a resident of both places.
You want good Mexican food, go to Mexico. If not then search and seek. Good luck!

PMWinSTP

"Have you been to West St. Paul?"

Yes, but not to find Mexican food. Might take your cue when we are down there for Jerry Kill's return.

Top Bottom