2021 Big Ten Quarterback Rankings (3. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

3. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
The Golden Gophers are aiming for a rebound on offense after a disappointing 2020 season. Behind Morgan and receivers Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson, Minnesota averaged 34.1 points a contest in ’19. But the unusual offseason, a coordinator change, and limited playing time by Bateman certainly hindered the offense last fall. The disjointed, shortened schedule played a role, but it’s noteworthy Morgan’s numbers regressed in a big way in ’20. His completion percentage dropped to 57.9 percent from 66, while the yards per attempt dropped from 10.2 to 7.5. Also, Morgan tossed five picks in 183 attempts last year after throwing just seven over 318 the previous year. Approaching ’19 totals will be difficult, but Morgan should rebound in ’21.

Go Gophers!!

per Athlon:

The Golden Gophers are aiming for a rebound on offense after a disappointing 2020 season. Behind Morgan and receivers Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson, Minnesota averaged 34.1 points a contest in ’19. But the unusual offseason, a coordinator change, and limited playing time by Bateman certainly hindered the offense last fall. The disjointed, shortened schedule played a role, but it’s noteworthy Morgan’s numbers regressed in a big way in ’20. His completion percentage dropped to 57.9 percent from 66, while the yards per attempt dropped from 10.2 to 7.5. Also, Morgan tossed five picks in 183 attempts last year after throwing just seven over 318 the previous year. Approaching ’19 totals will be difficult, but Morgan should rebound in ’21.

Go Gophers!!

If Tanner turns out to be the 3rd best QB in the conference, we should have a good season. Glad to see at least one publication ranking him over Mertz. Only Ohio State could have a second ranked conference preseason QB who has never thrown a pass in a college game. That's a real indicator of the OSU brand.

didn't that same source just rank Mo as the top running back? And Big Dan one of the top OTs?

If Tanner turns out to be the 3rd best QB in the conference, we should have a good season. Glad to see at least one publication ranking him over Mertz. Only Ohio State could have a second ranked conference preseason QB who has never thrown a pass in a college game. That's a real indicator of the OSU brand.

They should probably just name the spot....OSU QB....Stroud seems to be the presumptive guy but with Ewers there now who knows what their long term outlook is. Will be interesting to see how long the guys that lose out in the QB competition are willing to stick around as they were all very highly touted coming out of high school and would likely draw a lot of attention as transfers.

tOSU has:
Class of 2020 - Jack Miller 4* 0.8951, #334 overall 247 composite
Class of 2020 - CJ Stroud 4* 0.9780, #42 overall 247 composite
Class of 2021 - Kyle McCord 5* 0.9858, #28 overall 247 composite
Class of 2021 - Quinn Ewers 5* 1.0000, #1 overall 247 composite

I can't imagine all of them stay there for their entire college careers.

tOSU has:

I can't imagine all of them stay there for their entire college careers. the rest of the year.
FIFY. The problem with taking that many highly ranked QB's is that you're going to have a number of transfers. I'd put money on at least 2 of them being gone before the first game is played in 2022. Likely at least one will transfer out still this year. Quite possible 3 of them are gone before they exhaust their eligibility.

With transfers being so much more prominent, gone are the days of a guy like "I didn't come here to play school" Cardale Jones sitting there at 3rd string waiting to come in in case of injury.

tOSU has:

I can't imagine all of them stay there for their entire college careers.
I've been reading the Ohio State non-pay fan forums. Some commenters believe that 5* freshman Kyle McCord (a real freshman who has been there practicing, unlike Ewers), who is performing very well, might get the nod over CJ Stroud against Minnesota. OSU has a true embarrassment of riches at QB. Two five star QBs in the same class???

per Athlon:

Go Gophers!!
Plus new OC. Not sold on Sanford yet. I liked Kirk a lot (even if he didn't throw to the tight ends). We didn't do a ton of different things but what we ran, we ran well.

Thank God! They finally recognize that Martinez really isn't that good.

Plus new OC. Not sold on Sanford yet. I liked Kirk a lot (even if he didn't throw to the tight ends). We didn't do a ton of different things but what we ran, we ran well.
New OC was a lot more complicated in the passing game than KC. Last year probably a bad year to be more complicated due to the irregularity

If the OL/TEs perform well...especially for the max-protect packages...and the receivers continue to work their routes to the whistle...Tanner will have a very good year. Huntington Bank on it.

Marinez can be very, very good or very, very bad.
I think when he has to be a major part of the running game for NE against a decent defense the wear and tear on his body starts to significantly effect his passing performance.
Last year NE was using their two QBs and a skinny WR as their running backs.
I do not know if they have any recruits ready to start at RB.

Former Gophers commit Brennan Armstrong of Virginia is #17 on that list...

If Nebraska could field two decent, reliable, durable RBs, so that Martinez wasn’t pressed into serving as the team’s number one RB, he might improve some as a downfield passer. He takes a beating during games, and over the season, with all the QB draw plays Nebraska calls.

If Nebraska could field two decent, reliable, durable RBs, so that Martinez wasn’t pressed into serving as the team’s number one RB, he might improve some as a downfield passer. He takes a beating during games, and over the season, with all the QB draw plays Nebraska calls.
He just isn’t a very good downfield passer. Doesn’t have the accuracy. Heck he misses quite a few swing passes. Which is fine. Granted your point would make him more durable in the run game he is responsible for

How about a ranking of All QB's​

13. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota​

What I like most — If we’re being honest, the thing I like most about Morgan is his 2019 season. Yeah, it’s a different offensive coordinator now and he no longer has Rashod Bateman and Tyler Johnson like he did 2 years ago. Still, though. The guy averaged north of 10 yards per attempt and threw for 30 touchdown passes en route to Minnesota’s best AP Top 25 finish in 57 years. He might not have the next-level skills that some of the others on this list have, but in a full, normal offseason, I’m not selling my Morgan stock just yet.

Top Bottom