2019 Minnesota Vikings In-Season Thread

I wouldn't be upset if Spielman is fired as he has done a terrible job addressing the O-line when its been the obvious weakness for years, and I wanted him gone after last year.

That said, the Vikings always lose ugly games in Chicago. Freaking out about it and demanding everyone be fired/benched when this has happened 16 times in the past 19 years is a bit silly.

I wouldn't be upset if Spielman is fired as he has done a terrible job addressing the O-line when its been the obvious weakness for years, and I wanted him gone after last year.

That said, the Vikings always lose ugly games in Chicago. Freaking out about it and demanding everyone be fired/benched when this has happened 16 times in the past 19 years is a bit silly.

This is a fair point.

And if you do spend all that money on a QB, he better be good. Spielman should be fired for that alone
Josh Freeman. A previous strike against Spielman.

*mic drop*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Maybe we should have spent the 88 million on an offensive line. An average quarterback looks good behind a great line. A better than average one, usually looks bad behind a bad line.

I could be wrong.....but I'm pretty sure that good offensive lineman don't hit free agency very often.

People can blame Spielman, Cousins, or the OL, and all deserve some blame, but Zimmer gets an F for yesterday. After the first possession, it was easy for everyone to see that Chicago was going to stack the box. His stubbornness cost the Vikings yesterday. When runs up the middle are getting stuffed every time, you need to try something else. Stefanski is technically calling the plays, but Zimmer is absolutely in his ear. If you are going to stubbornly run the ball no matter what, then you might as well cut Diggs and Thielen and use the money on the OL.

Zimmer is one of the best HC in the NFL. He's far from the problem. He's not without blame, but he's down the list a ways. It's not entirely his fault that they have failed to address the QB situation while he's been there for the most part. He probably has influenced the heavy lean towards defense in the draft, but they've made some serious mistakes putting an offense on the field while he's been the head coach.

I don't know if we have any "Fire Zim and make Kubiak HC" folks here, but that's not going to happen. If Kubiak was healthy enough to be the head coach, he'd be coaching the Broncos right now.

I don't know if we have any "Fire Zim and make Kubiak HC" folks here, but that's not going to happen. If Kubiak was healthy enough to be the head coach, he'd be coaching the Broncos right now.

Spielman will be fired. Zimmer is a parcells guy, and the Wilfs love Parcells. Zimmer's defense has also been top 10 forever, and building a good defense is tough to do.

Zimmer's biggest issue is picking offensive coordinators rather than picking a system he likes. This is what, his fourth offensive coordinator, all with different systems?

Spielman has had his chance. The stubborn refusal or inability to upgrade the offensive line over the last few years is a firing offense in my opinion. Meahwhile, the Lions resolved to upgrade their line, and the results have been drastic so far this season.

Mike Zimmer 'not worried,' but not a fan of Kirk Cousins' apology to Adam Thielen

Asked whether he likes Vikings players publicly apologizing to one another, Mike Zimmer said he saw that Kirk Cousins’ had apologized to Adam Thielen, but that he didn’t read about it and wasn’t exactly sure what was said.

“I’m not a fan of it, no,” Zimmer said Wednesday.

But Zimmer has more pressing matters for the Vikings (2-2) after dropping the first two NFC North games on the road this season.

“He was probably just being nice. I mean, seriously, I’m not worried about it,” Zimmer said. “Maybe he should get off the podcast.”

http://www.startribune.com/mike-zim...rk-cousins-apology-to-adam-thielen/561976412/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

The Diggs trade buzz has been quietly steady since last season. The way it looks now, if Diggs is moved before Oct. 29, compensation for the Vikings would have to include a wide receiver replacement and, depending on the team, probably a first-round draft pick.

Word is four teams have become immediately interested in Diggs: Arizona, New England, Oakland and Buffalo.

Diggs is 25 years old. Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald Jr., who is from Minneapolis, is 36. Diggs has five years left on a $72 million contract. Fitzgerald has only this season left on a $11.3 million contract.

The Cardinals’ first-round draft pick in 2020 is expected to be be fairly high, probably in the top 10. It might take that, or second- and third-round picks plus Fitzgerald, to do a deal for Diggs. New England’s first-round pick will be low.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/...on-likes-him-for-manager-of-year-100-percent/

Skol Vikes!!

I'd take Fitz and a 1st for Diggs. He might even play one more season if it's in Minnesota.

Vikings reportedly fine receiver Stefon Diggs more than $200,000 for unexcused absences

Stefon Diggs was fined more than $200,000 by the Vikings for missing practices and mandatory meetings on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week, according to a report by ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

Diggs, who returned to practice Thursday and acknowledged his frustration with the Vikings offense and the possibility of being traded, is expected to play Sunday in New York after head coach Mike Zimmer said Friday he’d “already” been punished — meaning the fines. Diggs declined to talk Friday when approached by a reporter inquiring about his punishment.

The possibility of Diggs being traded before the Oct. 29 deadline, or after the season, remains as the Vikings front office has reportedly told inquiring teams it’ll budge with a massive offer. Diggs’ dissatisfaction has been known by teammates for months, sources told the Star Tribune this week, meaning it may not go away very quickly.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...than-200000-for-unexcused-absences/562336842/

Skol Vikes!!

Illegal contact being an automatic first down is the most ridiculous rule in the NFL.

Illegal contact being an automatic first down is the most ridiculous rule in the NFL.

One of many, including pass interference = spot penalty and first down; or defensive holding = automatic first down. Those are very often judgment calls that completely change the outcome of games.

Mike Hughes coming up big today. Shame they didn't trade/release Rhodes. He's being paid a ton to be the 3rd best CB on this team.

I'd take Fitz and a 1st for Diggs. He might even play one more season if it's in Minnesota.

I'm not sure if he has a no-trade clause but I'd be shocked if Fitz left Phoenix. He's the most beloved player in franchise history and a huge part of the community there. He's the ultimate pro though; his presence in any locker room would be immeasurable really. Even if he didn't have a no-trade clause, the owner and GM would be absolutely crushed if they traded away Fitz. And the GM Keim is on super thin ice as it is

I'm not sure if he has a no-trade clause but I'd be shocked if Fitz left Phoenix. He's the most beloved player in franchise history and a huge part of the community there. He's the ultimate pro though; his presence in any locker room would be immeasurable really. Even if he didn't have a no-trade clause, the owner and GM would be absolutely crushed if they traded away Fitz. And the GM Keim is on super thin ice as it is

Fair points. If he was ever going to waive it, it would be to come to MN. And if he waived it, the GM probably gets off the hook as letting Fitz go home/to a winning team.

Did I hear correctly that this was Cousins' best game of the year statistically? Or the best statistical game of his tenure here? And Bridgewater still outperformed him statistically yesterday.

Did I hear correctly that this was Cousins' best game of the year statistically? Or the best statistical game of his tenure here? And Bridgewater still outperformed him statistically yesterday.

Bridgewater had the game of his life. Playing coulda, woulda, shoulda on him is pointless. They couldn't take a Super Bowl ready team and roll the dice on him being able to play last year. I'm glad he's back playing well and maybe he will find his way back here at some point.

Don't know. Don't care. The only numbers that matter are those on the scoreboard when the clock hits 0:00 in the last quarter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Right now, this Vikings team looks to me to be in about the same position as last season, which is "maybe a playoff team." It's easy to go on the weekly rollercoaster, depending on if they win or lose that weekend, but that's how they appear to me.

Vikes are mediocre. They will beat bad teams and struggle against good teams. Another 8-8 or 9-7 season, crappy draft pick and repeat next year...

Vikes are mediocre. They will beat bad teams and struggle against good teams. Another 8-8 or 9-7 season, crappy draft pick and repeat next year...

I don't bet many games but yesterday was easy money; Zimmer against a rookie QB. No contest, barring an elite defense from the opponent, which certainly isn't the case with the Giants.

Nice win today for the Vikings. Cousiins with 4 td passes and Diggs with 3 td REC. Vikings win 38-20. Zach Browns of the Eagles trash talk about Kirk Cousins and it backfire. hahaha.

Nice win today for the Vikings. Cousiins with 4 td passes and Diggs with 3 td REC. Vikings win 38-20. Zach Browns of the Eagles trash talk about Kirk Cousins and it backfire. hahaha.

So at home we can beat "decent" teams.

Just don't give the Vikings a nationally televised game or a game against a winning team.

The Vikings haven't beat a winning team since the playoff win against New Orleans.

So at home we can beat "decent" teams.

Just don't give the Vikings a nationally televised game or a game against a winning team.

The Eagles came in with a winning record. The Vikings also dominated the Giants on the road, so I'm not sure what your "at home" comment was about.

The Vikings haven't beat a winning team since the playoff win against New Orleans.

False. See above. Without even looking, I am guessing the Vikings also had multiple wins over .500+ teams in 2018.

Shama: Don’t Expect Stefon Diggs Trade Now

The NFL trade deadline is October 29 but there seems zero chance the Vikings will move Stefon Diggs between now and then. Diggs has been mentioned nationally in trade rumors as recently as yesterday when he had 167 receiving yards and three touchdown receptions in the Vikings’ 38-20 win over the Eagles.

Diggs created controversy by skipping practices and meetings earlier this month, and was reportedly fined more than $200,000. The fifth-year wide receiver wanted to be a bigger part of an offense that was struggling with its passing game. Maybe his disgruntlement prompted opening things up the last two Sundays, including yesterday when Diggs not only caught seven passes (he dropped two) but ran the ball twice for 18 yards.

Before Sunday’s win Billswire.usatoday.com posted a story saying Good Morning Football Weekend host Michael Robinson speculated a Diggs trade was the most likely involving an NFL star before the October 29 deadline. The 4-1 Bills are chasing the 6-0 Patriots in the AFC East Division.

“They need another number one receiver,” Robinson said. “Zay Jones (wide receiver traded to the Raiders) has just got out of there. So I’m telling you, go get Stefon Diggs. He could be the piece, the secret piece to beat the New England Patriots.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Skol Vikes!!

The refs hand the Packers a win they don't deserve with several terrible calls.

Top Bottom