2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
NEW YORK -- Luis Arraez suffered what appeared to be long-term injury last weekend when he twisted his right ankle on the pitching mound during a popup collision. But the rookie infielder has made a quick recovery, and will be on the Twins roster for the American League Division Series against the Yankees.

Willians Astudillo is not on the roster. The Twins will carry two catchers (Mitch Garver and Jason Castro), and utilityman Ehire Adrianza (oblique) is ready to return, so he'll replace La Tortuga. Lefthanded starter Martin Perez also did not make the roster, but rookie righthanders Brusdar Graterol and Cody Stashak did.

I would have kept La Tortuga over CJ Cron. I know he had that home run the other day, but he has looked abysmal otherwise. Not making any good contact.

I probably would have kept Perez over Gibson. Perez is another lefty, and if he's on, he has pitches to get people out. Gibby has been throwing nothing but meat balls. Perez is the riskier play, but at least he can get people out.

TEXT SIZE
EMAIL
PRINT
MORE
NEW YORK -- Luis Arraez suffered what appeared to be long-term injury last weekend when he twisted his right ankle on the pitching mound during a popup collision. But the rookie infielder has made a quick recovery, and will be on the Twins roster for the American League Division Series against the Yankees.

Willians Astudillo is not on the roster. The Twins will carry two catchers (Mitch Garver and Jason Castro), and utilityman Ehire Adrianza (oblique) is ready to return, so he'll replace La Tortuga. Lefthanded starter Martin Perez also did not make the roster, but rookie righthanders Brusdar Graterol and Cody Stashak did.

I would have kept La Tortuga over CJ Cron. I know he had that home run the other day, but he has looked abysmal otherwise. Not making any good contact.

I probably would have kept Perez over Gibson. Perez is another lefty, and if he's on, he has pitches to get people out. Gibby has been throwing nothing but meat balls. Perez is the riskier play, but at least he can get people out.

Yep, I have zero confidence in Gibson...

Yep, I have zero confidence in Gibson...

If either Gibson or Perez are getting key outs, we're in trouble. His job is to save the bullpen by finishing the game if we're down 8-1 in the 5th.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

Haha all the dips ripping on Sano

Berrios with 88 pitches through 4 innings. Awesome. I guess we'll see plenty of bullpen work in Game 1.

Kyle G in a nutshell. Walk a few, make some quality pitches to get some outs, but then try to nibble too much, fall behind and give up a big hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weren't winning this, probably. But you go with Stashek and Gibson in a one-run game?

Berrios definitely worth more innings. Littel oh so bad. Rocco...wtf:confused:. The curse continues.

They weren't winning this, probably. But you go with Stashek and Gibson in a one-run game?

It wasn't a one run game when they brought Gibson in. That was Rocco pushing his chips to tomorrow. Stashek is probably they're 6th best reliever and they'd already used Littell (who looked way out of his depth) and Duffy for a ton of pitches. The only other options were to burn May/Romo/Rogers and have nothing for tomorrow.

It wasn't a one run game when they brought Gibson in. That was Rocco pushing his chips to tomorrow. Stashek is probably they're 6th best reliever and they'd already used Littell (who looked way out of his depth) and Duffy for a ton of pitches. The only other options were to burn May/Romo/Rogers and have nothing for tomorrow.

I don't worry about tomorrow in a one-run game. This game was the one they needed. You win game one on the road and you're playing with free money.

Per The Score:

The Minnesota Twins set a new MLB record by losing their 14th consecutive playoff game when they dropped Game 1 of the ALDS to the New York Yankees by a score of 10-4.

The Yankees' win was their 11th straight against the Twins in the postseason over the Twins, a streak that is now tied for the longest of all time against a single team, according to Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com.

Win Twins!!

CJ Cron catches that ball, its a different game. You want to win in the post season, you have to make all of the plays.

If they were wiling to bring Duffey in that early, he should have just started the 5th.

But to everyones point, have Berrios pitch at least the 5th. Then bring in your big guns in a 3-3 game, anything can happen.

Lets be honest. Twins gave this game away as much as Yankees earned it. 8 walks, 1 HBP

Yankees scored 10 runs on 7 hits.

Correct. He had good stuff, but wasn’t getting strikes early in the count. It’s not like he had nothing.

Let’s take 2 scenarios:

1. Berrios mows then down on 12 pitches in the 5th. He’s now at 100 pitches. I bring him out for sure in the 6th. What is he on like 9 days rest? If he mows them down again, he’s under 120. Or if gets a couple quick outs in the 5th, then a hit or walk, yank him.

2. He struggles immediately in the 5th? Yank him. Fine.

Taking him out after he just *maybe* found his stuff? WTF???

Correct. He had good stuff, but wasn’t getting strikes early in the count. It’s not like he had nothing.

Let’s take 2 scenarios:

1. Berrios mows then down on 12 pitches in the 5th. He’s now at 100 pitches. I bring him out for sure in the 6th. What is he on like 9 days rest? If he mows them down again, he’s under 120. Or if gets a couple quick outs in the 5th, then a hit or walk, yank him.

2. He struggles immediately in the 5th? Yank him. Fine.

Taking him out after he just *maybe* found his stuff? WTF???

It is truly a WTF moment. They acted like they were down 7-3, not 3-3

Game 2 won't be any easy. Randy Dobnak is starting game 2 for the Twins.

Dobnak crushed down the stretch. Hope he can do it again!

Dobnak crushed down the stretch. Hope he can do it again!

I'm 100% fine with it. I feel the same way about Dobnak on the mound as I feel about Arraez in the lineup. I don't care how you got to the bigs, I care that you've shown you can perform when you get there.

I don't worry about tomorrow in a one-run game. This game was the one they needed. You win game one on the road and you're playing with free money.

Either way, after only getting 4 out of Berrios and using Duffy in the 5th, you weren't getting through the rest of the game with just May, Romo and Rogers. And if you'd burned them and still lost, which is likely, you'd be doubly screwed today.

Either way, after only getting 4 out of Berrios and using Duffy in the 5th, you weren't getting through the rest of the game with just May, Romo and Rogers. And if you'd burned them and still lost, which is likely, you'd be doubly screwed today.

It's the playoffs. You can't pitch two days in a row? Good news for the Twins, I guess, Chapman, Britton and Happ all must be unavailable for NY today.

It's the playoffs. You can't pitch two days in a row? Good news for the Twins, I guess, Chapman, Britton and Happ all must be unavailable for NY today.

Within reason they can. If they throw 30+ pitches, no probably not. We've seen Rogers' #'s when pitching back to back days. If we'd had a lead, I'd agree with you.

Top Bottom