2019 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

howeda7

If you were a MLB second baseman, your turns would always end with a bullet directly at the chest of the first baseman. That way, the team could save lots of money. Instead of using a high paying major leaguer who can actually catch a very slightly errant throw, they could have a D league softball player over there. Actually I think most D leaguers would have made that catch.
The point is that Schoop is a better 2B than Arreaz and Arreaz was a step slow with his ankle. It's pretty likely Schoop would have caught ball in RF and been a step quicker on the turn and gotten off a better throw. Whatever you think of Cron, I can't say Astudillo or whoever else would have been a better option at 1B.

GopherJake

The point is that Schoop is a better 2B than Arreaz and Arreaz was a step slow with his ankle. It's pretty likely Schoop would have caught ball in RF and been a step quicker on the turn and gotten off a better throw. Whatever you think of Cron, I can't say Astudillo or whoever else would have been a better option at 1B.
Schoop would have also gone 0-12 in the series. The throw was just fine and Cron blew the play. That's the end. Not, oh if it would have been a chest high throw, Cron would have caught it. Cron is a major league first baseman. He played like 100 games over there and not just to stick him somewhere. I guarantee he thinks he should have made that play. Jesus, I would have caught that one and quite easily.

howeda7

Schoop would have also gone 0-12 in the series. The throw was just fine and Cron blew the play. That's the end. Not, oh if it would have been a chest high throw, Cron would have caught it. Cron is a major league first baseman. He played like 100 games over there and not just to stick him somewhere. I guarantee he thinks he should have made that play. Jesus, I would have caught that one and quite easily.
I'm not Schoop fan and like Arreaz. But Schoop's lefty/righty splits were pretty dramatic. Given a lefty started on Friday and Arreaz was clearly not 100% yet, it didn't make a ton of sense to start him. You could still have PH Arreaz when the Yankees went to the bullpen. That and taking Berrios out too soon cost us game 1 as much as anything the bullpen did.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Tampa, with their $64 million payroll, are about to take Houston to 5 games.
And that there is the counterpoint to the point i made above excusing the Twins for getting swept. The Rays are staring down the barrel of the same caliber of super-team that the Twins just faced, and they're not flinching, not wetting their pants. They're playing fearless and playing their best ball.

It was back in the regular season...it might have been that 14-12 game or whatever the score was. When Taylor Rogers was nibbling at the Yankees' #9 hitter instead of going after him, my thought at the time was, same old Twins. All the tough talk during this series about how nobody cares about these teams' history: it just made me laugh. I saw Rogers afraid to pitch to the bottom of the Yankee order and then have to face Hicks, who of course bit him.

The catches Judge and Gregorius made weren't bad Twins luck or caused by some curse. They were players stepping up their game when the stakes are highest. The '87 and '91 Twins did the same, which is why they got the hardware while the '69, '70, '06 and '19 teams--who were markedly better regular-season teams than either of those two--each got blown away in the first round of the postseason.

tmvander

And that there is the counterpoint to the point i made above excusing the Twins for getting swept. The Rays are staring down the barrel of the same caliber of super-team that the Twins just faced, and they're not flinching, not wetting their pants. They're playing fearless and playing their best ball.

It was back in the regular season...it might have been that 14-12 game or whatever the score was. When Taylor Rogers was nibbling at the Yankees' #9 hitter instead of going after him, my thought at the time was, same old Twins. All the tough talk during this series about how nobody cares about these teams' history: it just made me laugh. I saw Rogers afraid to pitch to the bottom of the Yankee order and then have to face Hicks, who of course bit him.

The catches Judge and Gregorius made weren't bad Twins luck or caused by some curse. They were players stepping up their game when the stakes are highest. The '87 and '91 Twins did the same, which is why they got the hardware while the '69, '70, '06 and '19 teams--who were markedly better regular-season teams than either of those two--each got blown away in the first round of the postseason.
Well said...however in sports (maybe especially in baseball) there is a small luck factor. You can smoke the ball all over the field but if it goes right at guys its the worst feeling in the world. Same with bad hops, etc. Game 3 we saw some of that luck but you're right...people who fully blame that ignore the fact that the Yankees made plays and the Twins did not. There were plenty of non hard hit balls and strikeouts with guys on base as well.

Bayfieldgopher

Season is over. One can only imagine how they could have done with their regular line up.

Time to make attempts to improve the starting pitching. One can assume Berrios, Odo and Pineda will remain but Gibson and Perez are shaky.

So who is trade bait? Schoop, Gonzalez, Gibson, Castro? Maybe Addrianza? Thoughts? Or go hard after free agents?

tmvander

Season is over. One can only imagine how they could have done with their regular line up.

Time to make attempts to improve the starting pitching. One can assume Berrios, Odo and Pineda will remain but Gibson and Perez are shaky.

So who is trade bait? Schoop, Gonzalez, Gibson, Castro? Maybe Addrianza? Thoughts? Or go hard after free agents?
Schoop, Gibson, and Castro are all free agents and will be gone. Adrianza is up for arbitration and may be gone as well.

Bad Gopher

A Loner, A Rebel
Well said...however in sports (maybe especially in baseball) there is a small luck factor. You can smoke the ball all over the field but if it goes right at guys its the worst feeling in the world. Same with bad hops, etc. Game 3 we saw some of that luck but you're right...people who fully blame that ignore the fact that the Yankees made plays and the Twins did not. There were plenty of non hard hit balls and strikeouts with guys on base as well.
That does remind me of the '06 series against the A's. Morneau was the Twins' best hitter, but it didn't show up in the stats because he hit some rockets right at people. So that was bad luck. Regrettably, the whole rest of the team didn't do much, which ultimately was the story of the series. So both bad luck and bad performance.

Latest profile posts