2019-2020 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

howeda7

May be worth a shot but I think I'd almost rather have Gonzalez in the lineup somewhere instead of bringing Gordon up. Infield of Sano, Polanco, Arraez, Gonzalez (could flip flop Sano/Gonzalez). Unless you trade Rosario and put Gonzalez in the outfield. Then you call up Gordon instead of calling up Kirilloff
Gonzalez should be in the line-up either way. I'd basically make it a contest between Kiriloff and Gordon and perhaps Rooker. Whoever is the most ready stays. Gonzalez either plays LF or 3B accordingly.

saintpaulguy

When you have bases loaded in a playoff game and you pop out, you are not a DH. Sano either needs to play a position, improve as a batter or be traded. As a DH he’s going to be 400 lbs.

BleedGopher

Administrator
Souhan: Why the Twins should consider trading Eddie Rosario

Nelson Cruz and Marwin Gonzalez will be back, Luis Arraez will be the second baseman, and top prospects Royce Lewis, Alex Kirilloff and Trevor Lornach could be ready at some point next season.

The logical trading chip is Eddie Rosario.

Rosario is highly entertaining. He hits home runs. He provided many of the best moments of this season. He also played right field in the playoffs because the Twins view Gonzalez as a better outfielder so he played in the larger field in left. Rosario’s numbers, aside from his home-run (32) and RBI (109) totals, were underwhelming. His .300 on-base percentage is poor.

If baseball deadens the baseball next year, Rosario could turn into a corner outfielder with gap power who doesn’t draw walks.

The problem with trading Rosario is that there may not be many general managers who want to give up value for such a player. But it only takes one.

The Twins have built their farm system to the point where they can afford to trade their cleanup hitter and another prospect or two for a starting pitcher, if they can find a taker.

http://www.startribune.com/why-the-twins-should-consider-trading-eddie-rosario/562562602/

Win Twins!!

JimmyJamesMD

I'm not opposed to trading him if the price is right.
Sano definitely improved. But Saintpaul guy is making some good points.

Sano feasted on weak pitching. How often did he have a great at bat against a good pitcher? He always tried to kill it, which is horrible situational hitting. That based loaded situation he should have been trying to get good wood on it and not blasting it to the moon. That sitation calls for changing his approach. But he never changes his approach.

Arreaz got a double to the gap in game 3 against a hard thrower because he flicked his wrists. Sano tries to pull almost everything. We he doesnt try to pull, hes money. But he tries to pull 95% of the time, and swing as hard as he can.

It might be time to sell high here.

JimmyJamesMD

I'm not in favor of trading Rosario unless twins get offer they cant refuse. I'm a big believer in clubhouse chemistry, and hes a part of the core in my mind. He is one of the leaders on the team

I do not want Cron back. I understand his thumb was hurting. But he is another pull happy guy that can hit off of weak pitching. Surely we can do better than that.

Any thoughts about Garver at first base? Not impressed with his catching skills.

Any thoughts on starting pitching? Gerrit Cole would be great, but so risky to give a P $25-30 mil per year. But you also need a true ace. Is Berrios that? I think he is a good #2, but not your ace. I'd love Smeltzer and or Randy Dobnak to get a shot at in the rotation. Perez is an enigma. I think they'll bring him back. I think he has really good stuff, but has a tough time locating his pitches and makes too many mistakes

Bullpen turned out to be good. Duffey and May have found their niche. Hopefully sign romo for one year. They need a lefty besides rodgers.

tmvander

I'm not in favor of trading Rosario unless twins get offer they cant refuse. I'm a big believer in clubhouse chemistry, and hes a part of the core in my mind. He is one of the leaders on the team

I do not want Cron back. I understand his thumb was hurting. But he is another pull happy guy that can hit off of weak pitching. Surely we can do better than that.

Any thoughts about Garver at first base? Not impressed with his catching skills.

Any thoughts on starting pitching? Gerrit Cole would be great, but so risky to give a P $25-30 mil per year. But you also need a true ace. Is Berrios that? I think he is a good #2, but not your ace. I'd love Smeltzer and or Randy Dobnak to get a shot at in the rotation. Perez is an enigma. I think they'll bring him back. I think he has really good stuff, but has a tough time locating his pitches and makes too many mistakes

Bullpen turned out to be good. Duffey and May have found their niche. Hopefully sign romo for one year. They need a lefty besides rodgers.
Free agent market for starters isn't great. A few obvious names like Cole but a few of them like Darvish, Strausburg will likely have their options picked up by the Cubs/Nats. I think a guy like Cole Hamels is interesting but he's like 36 and isn't the same guy he was a few years ago even. He'd still likely be expensive and pitch less innings and have worse numbers than if we re signed Odo.

I think our only option to get a guy better than Berrios is through trade because the free agent market only has about 2 guys (Cole, Wheeler with Wheeler being about at that same level) and all teams will be in on them. That's why i'm hoping they grab a few free agent relievers and make a trade for a higher end starter.

JimmyJamesMD

Free agent market for starters isn't great. A few obvious names like Cole but a few of them like Darvish, Strausburg will likely have their options picked up by the Cubs/Nats. I think a guy like Cole Hamels is interesting but he's like 36 and isn't the same guy he was a few years ago even. He'd still likely be expensive and pitch less innings and have worse numbers than if we re signed Odo.

I think our only option to get a guy better than Berrios is through trade because the free agent market only has about 2 guys (Cole, Wheeler with Wheeler being about at that same level) and all teams will be in on them. That's why i'm hoping they grab a few free agent relievers and make a trade for a higher end starter.
I agree with that approach. I saw a top free agent article and Odo was one of the top P available. I thought to myself, either is a bad free agent class or I didnt appreciate Odo enough.

I will say he if can pitch like he did in game 3 he will deserve a big money contract.

Obviously Cole will get his money, but its going to be interesting to see how much Wheeler gets. To your point, supply is low, and demand is high. Based off of that, the twins will have to give up a lot to get a starter or find a diamond in the rough.

tmvander

I agree with that approach. I saw a top free agent article and Odo was one of the top P available. I thought to myself, either is a bad free agent class or I didnt appreciate Odo enough.

I will say he if can pitch like he did in game 3 he will deserve a big money contract.

Obviously Cole will get his money, but its going to be interesting to see how much Wheeler gets. To your point, supply is low, and demand is high. Based off of that, the twins will have to give up a lot to get a starter or find a diamond in the rough.
My guess on the starters next year

P1 - Berrios
P2 - Odo
P3 - Smeltzer/Thorpe/Dobnak until Pineda is back
P4 - Free agent (Tanner Roark)
P5 - Smeltzer/Thorpe/Dobnak

My ideal pitching staff

P1 - Traded for player (maybe Mets listen on Syndergarrd or DeGrom, Sonny Gray, or Louis Castillo)
P2 - Berrios
P3 - Odo
P4 - Pineda - Smeltzer/Thorpe/Dobnak until he's back

I'll add that the ideal pitching staff is highly unlikely but may be within the realm of possibility even considering we're the twins.

Last edited:

BleedGopher

Administrator
Twins pick up Nelson Cruz’s 2020 option

In the least-shocking news that will happen today — including the sunrise/sunset report in the corner of the weather page — Jon Heyman reports that the Minnesota Twins will pick up Nelson Cruz‘s 2020 option. It will pay the slugger $12 million.

Cruz signed a one-year, $14.3 million deal with the Twins late last year with the $12 million option for next season. So, yeah, he’s actually taking a pay cut following a season in which he hit .311/.392/.639 with 41 homers and 108 runs batted in. He’s had better overall years when measured by WAR because he used to play defense, but 2019 was his best year measured by OPS+.

Still, the idea was that Cruz would, you know, age eventually and that his age 38 season might be a step down from his age 37 season and that his age 39 season — next year — would be even worse, thus justifying the declining pay scale. Having a career offensive year at an age when most guys are out of the league is not typical.

https://sports.yahoo.com/twins-pick-nelson-cruz-2020-150555241.html

Win Twins!!

JimmyJamesMD

My guess on the starters next year

P1 - Berrios
P2 - Odo
P3 - Smeltzer/Thorpe/Dobnak until Pineda is back
P4 - Free agent (Tanner Roark)

My ideal pitching staff

P1 - Traded for player (maybe Mets listen on Syndergarrd or DeGrom, Sonny Gray, or Louis Castillo)
P2 - Berrios
P3 - Odo
P4 - Pineda - Smeltzer/Thorpe/Dobnak until he's back

I'll add that the ideal pitching staff is highly unlikely but may be within the realm of possibility even considering we're the twins.
I thought Pineda was a free agent? Are you predicting they sign him?

Also, i think Perez is back. They have an option and i bet they want one last chance to fix him.

I like your preferred rotation

howeda7

Sano definitely improved. But Saintpaul guy is making some good points.

Sano feasted on weak pitching. How often did he have a great at bat against a good pitcher? He always tried to kill it, which is horrible situational hitting. That based loaded situation he should have been trying to get good wood on it and not blasting it to the moon. That sitation calls for changing his approach. But he never changes his approach.

Arreaz got a double to the gap in game 3 against a hard thrower because he flicked his wrists. Sano tries to pull almost everything. We he doesnt try to pull, hes money. But he tries to pull 95% of the time, and swing as hard as he can.

It might be time to sell high here.
Sano definitely made a dramatic improvement in his plate discipline the 2nd half. However, when in high leverage spots, I think he can't help but revert to trying to hit a 500 foot HR to left. Also, at the end of the day, I don't trust to him stay in great shape or age well. I simply don't see him as a Twin past 2021, as I don't think we will pay what he will command as a free agent. So if you can get good value for him, you have to consider it. It's not that hard to find a DH who can hit you 25-30 HR which is what he may be long-term.

howeda7

I'm not sure I buy "Eddie is a great leader". More than any other player, he's the one who didn't run out doubles because he thought they were HR's, dropped pop-ups, made wild throw trying to throw guys out when he had no chance and showed zero plate discipline. He makes a lot of great plays. And a lot of boneheaded ones. I think Cruz was the most influential on the clubhouse. I'm also not sure how much it matters in MLB.

I agree on Cron. He's OK. But probably not worth $7-8 million he'd get in arbitration. Garver's not great at catcher, but just like Mauer, you hurt his value if you move him. Nobody really runs anymore, so as long as he's not giving up 3 passed balls per game, I'm fine with him catching. Besides who's going to catch then? Bring Castro back for $8 million to watch him hit .220? No thanks.

Cole is a long shot. But we can pay him $30 million +. The problem is that even if we match other offers he probably goes elsewhere. A trade for a #1/2 and a FA signing for a #3 is more likely.

Breakin' The Plane

Strasburg and Darvish have player options. Strasburg is expected to opt out.

tmvander

I thought Pineda was a free agent? Are you predicting they sign him?

Also, i think Perez is back. They have an option and i bet they want one last chance to fix him.

I like your preferred rotation
I think they should based off of what he'll cost and how he was performing down the stretch. We'll miss out on about a month and a half of him due to the suspension though.

Latest profile posts