2019-2020 Attendance

EaganGopher22

Reaction score
Of course, average attendance compared to last year will be down without a sold out event like last year. So far, it was Missouri State (2860--Tuesday afternoon), Vermont (3456), Milwaukee (4081-Thursday afternoon, school field day) and Arizona State (4862). To date, the average is 3814. Last year, pre-B1G was 5562 and 4429 (excluding first game).
Will be interesting to see how attendance goes this year. I don't recall seeing anything about season ticket sales (increasing or decreasing).
Hopefully they won't repeat playing a returning Sweet 16 team as their home opener on a weekday afternoon again.

Montana State game attendance was 3497. Pre-B1G average is 3751 which is about 1,000 more than either of last two years of the Stahlings reign. However it remains lower than last year.

Bryant game attendance was a season low 2770. Throw in several factors: Thanksgiving week, the opponent, and the threat of all of us being stranded at Williams Arena due to snow. The average has now dropped to 3,588 per game.

Based on folks I talked to last night, the weather and the holiday were keeping seatmates away last night. And, it was our "first" evening game of the 6 game home stand, as odd as that might have been in scheduling quirks.

I personally enjoy having a blow out game every once in a while.

Been awhile since we played at home. 4,673 attended. I would have expected a larger crowd for the McCarville ceremony. But with men's game following and the Vikings game start so closed to game end, I suspect it was a drag on attendance. However, the season average increased to 3,743 per game.

I wondered if her current job in Sweden is the reason they didn't wait until after the holidays for her ceremony. I thought there was decent attendance but it would have better in January.

For the last non-B1G home game the crowd was decent, 4300, especially for the weekend before Christmas. But with 6 players from MN on Lehigh's roster, there were a lot of them there to cheer on Lehigh. Hannah Hedstrom's group was quite boisterous. By way of comparison, Lehigh drew 2,642 when they last visited in 2017.
The average non-B1G was 3,812, down from last year (even adjusted for the first game), but still more than 1300 more per game than either of the last two seasons of the Stallings era. If the average revenue was $10 per ticket that would translate to an additional $105,000.

Being under the weather with whatever has been going around, I forgot to update this thread. Gophers lost the B1G home opener in front of 3,992 which was the lowest B1G attendance of all of last year except, curiously, OSU game (3,740). Playing at 4 pm on New Years Eve probably had a huge impact on attendance. We will see if it picks up from here.

No fewer than 10 Big Ten women’s basketball programs rank among the top 40 nationally in average attendance (seven in the top 25), as of Monday. Purdue ranks 10th in the nation with 6,152 fans per game, followed by No. 11 Iowa (5,625), No. 13 Maryland (5,523), No. 15 Ohio State (5,209), No. 19 Michigan State (4,348), No. 20 Nebraska (4,265) and No. 24 Indiana (4,049). Minnesota is next at No. 27 (3,831), with No. 30 Michigan (3,744) and No. 34 Wisconsin (3,332) also in the top 40.

Attendance for the Northwestern game was the lowest B1G home game since a game against MI in 2017-18 season. Only 3001 was listed. In fact, only two non-conference games had lower attendance this year. Hopefully, this is not a trend.

There were a lot of empty seats in my section that is almost all season ticket holders. I think the Thursday night venue is not the best as we always draw better for the Sunday games. Team will also need to regroup and get some W’s.

Attendance for Thursday IA game was 3,412. B1G home average is 3,465. Last season, IA drew 5,439 and 4,182 year prior. Three games is not a great marker, but the average is now below the last two years of the Stahlings era. Hard to say where we go from here with all of the recent drama.

3,619 attended the WI game. Lots of leftover pom-poms. B1G home average is 3,504. Maybe it was just as well that a lower number of folks were there to see this game. :cautious:

The Nebraska game drew 3,568. Today's game against Rutgers drew 4,319 which was the largest B1G home game attendance this year (despite being played only hours before the Super Bowl). That crowd got its money's worth with a double overtime win.
The B1G home game average is now 3,651, almost 2,000 per game lower than last year, but higher than the last year under Stahlings.
Hopefully attendance continues to increase for the remaining 3 games.

It was nice to see a good crowd today and we were loud . I saw Rachel Banham n Destiny Pitts which made me sad. I really wish her well and miss watching her play.

Went to my first WBB game at the barn yesterday with my wife and daughter. It was a great game and atmosphere. We will definitely be going to more games.
That is how we began going more than 17 years ago, first one with my daughter, then wife and daughter thereafter. Became a season ticket holder shortly after attending those games.

Home games against MI (3423) and IND (4453) to bring the B1G season game average to 3,722. The crowd last night was the largest B1G home game crowd.
AZ State remains the largest draw of the season (4,862). Unless MD game draws a larger crowd, this will be the first year in quite some time that a non-B1G game outdrew any B1G game for attendance at home.
Nevertheless, attendance is still an improvement over the last two years of Stahlings era.

I just realized I never finished the attendance stats for the last season. MD game drew the largest crowd of the year, 6013. So the B1G average 3,977 and season average was 3,645. Lower than last year but better than the last two years of Stahlings. Given the pandemic, if I were to guess, it will likely be even lower for the upcoming season assuming they play.
Part of why I thought about this thread, is I began to wonder what the impact was on the various U coaches contracts as it relates to attendance and other performance clauses. However, it probably is related to the cuts they have to take in any event.
And perhaps there will be more effort to get more B1G games broadcast on cable/TV?

Top Bottom