2011 prospect

RaT

Reaction score
Found this on Wisconsin Sports Network.
http://www.wissports.net/sports/football/blog/message.aspx?f=113&id=1121038

Brookfield Central prospect bags Big Ten scholarship offer
posted by Marlin Lee at 2/2/2010
With National Signing Day just mere hours away from beginning, all eyes are on where the best and brightest from the class of 2010 are headed to play college football next season.

But that doesn't mean the class of 2010 is the only graduating class with recruiting news to report. Earlier this morning, WSN reported Kenosha Bradford running back Melvin Gordon received his second scholarship offer to date thanks to the University of Iowa, joining an offer previously extended by the University of Wisconsin.

Now it appears yet another member of the state's budding class of 2011 has garnered a Big Ten scholarship offer.

“I received an offer from Minnesota,” Brookfield Central tight end Sam Rohr (6-4, 225) told WSN on Tuesday evening.

“I was invited to, and attended, their junior day on January 23. In the beginning of the day, I met with Coach (Tim) Brewster and Coach (Derek) Lewis, the tight ends coach, and made small talk. Then Coach Brewster spoke to all the attendees and introduced his coaching staff. After that they broke us up into offensive and defensive groups. Coach Lewis called my Dad and I out to meet with Coach Brewster in private in his office. While in his office, Coach Brewster said he really liked my highlight tape and that I was the kind of student-athlete they'd like in their program. Next he offered me a full scholarship,” Rohr explained.

A prospect's first scholarship offer is always a memorable and emotional occasion, especially when it comes from a Big Ten school, a sentiment that Rohr echoed wholeheartedly.

“It's always nice to feel wanted, and they made me feel that way. It was humbling and exciting to receive an offer from such a great university so early,” he explained.

“I haven't accepted the offer to Minnesota yet, but I'm very interested in their program. I was very impressed with the athletic facilities, but more importantly, I was extremely impressed with Coach Brewster, Coach Lewis, and the scholastic support they provide the football players. Coach Lewis has rings from both a college national championship and a super bowl championship and I'm sure I could learn a lot from him. Both he and Coach Brewster made me feel like they were interested in me, not only as a football player, but as a student and representative of their university.”

While the University of Minnesota certainly stands out for Rohr right now, we're still an entire year away from National Signing Day 2011 and there's a lot of recruiting left to be done with plenty of other schools in the hunt.

“Currently, I don't have any gauge on whether or not other schools are close to offering me a scholarship,” Rohr said. “Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana have all been consistently writing to me, but none have shown the interest in me like Minnesota. I have also been receiving handwritten letters from Harvard, Kansas State, UCLA and North Dakota State. Northwestern has recently expressed some interest and I've provided them my highlight video and transcripts. I'm told a number of other universities are interested but that remains to be seen.”

Despite not being completely sure where his next scholarship offer will come from, Rohr did indicate that he would like to pick his future college home sometime in the next few months.

“I hope to make my decision before the start of summer camps,” he said.

A honorable-mention all-conference selection as a sophomore and junior, Rohr recently participated in the U.S. Army National Combine in San Antonio, Texas.

Just thought I would bump this article about a prospect for next year since most people want to get over the whole Seantrel hangover and move onto our future classes of Gophers.

In one of my classes today at college, I overheard a student talking about Mike Hardy and why he chose to sign with the Hawkeyes and not the home state badgers. She said that he was not a fan of the process the Badgers have for in-state recruits to get offers and liked the coaches at Iowa a whole lot better and the way they treated him. She was saying that over in Wisconsin they almost expect you to commit to them if you are offered and all that b.s. What I'm getting at is that this is obviously only one example, but could the times be changing in the badger state? If I remember correctly Eggen and Epping were not fans of the whole wait until summer camp thing either. Hopefully what Rohr is saying is true about Minnesota and he's not just saying the right things to use his offer to get one from Wisconsin early like Zags did to us for this class a year ago. Hopefully Minnesota keeps growing on him and we get another commit from the badger state again for the 2011 class!

Agreed. And I like how we are aggresively pursuing WI kids now. WI puts out alot of talent; more so than MN in most years.

The Gophers should be in on any talented kid within 300 miles if I had it my way.

Just when I thought Brewster couldn't possibly be any dumber, he goes out and does something like this... and totaly redeems himself!!!

In one of my classes today at college, I overheard a student talking about Mike Hardy and why he chose to sign with the Hawkeyes and not the home state badgers. She said that he was not a fan of the process the Badgers have for in-state recruits to get offers and liked the coaches at Iowa a whole lot better and the way they treated him. She was saying that over in Wisconsin they almost expect you to commit to them if you are offered and all that b.s. What I'm getting at is that this is obviously only one example, but could the times be changing in the badger state? If I remember correctly Eggen and Epping were not fans of the whole wait until summer camp thing either. Hopefully what Rohr is saying is true about Minnesota and he's not just saying the right things to use his offer to get one from Wisconsin early like Zags did to us for this class a year ago. Hopefully Minnesota keeps growing on him and we get another commit from the badger state again for the 2011 class!

The Badgers signed 8 kids from Wisconsin. They lost two they offered scholarships to and one was a punter. It was the most number of kids they have signed from Wisconsin in years, because there were a lot of good players in the State.

I am not sure how many tight ends they will take next year in what may be a small class. If they like Rohr, I am sure he will get an offer. If they don't, he won't. It is a pretty simple formula. His high school has sent a lot of players to UW, including two this year. They also had a running back that went to Indiana. Joe Thomas went there as well. It is a very good program.

What I envy about WI is that they pretty much get most, if not all, their states top guys year in and year out. Same goes for Iowa.

That's because the culture within those two states defines "making it" as playing for their home state team. They hardly even think twice about it. Their parents and the entire community surrounding them instill this in them from birth. That's not the case with MN. Sure, there is a great deal of this going on, but nothing comparable to WI and IA.

Another aspect that is often overlooked is that MN kids often come from parents who are not originally from MN. They move here upon graduating due to the extensive amount of career opportunities offered in the Twin Cities. Therefore, just because their kids grow up in MN, they often have parents who cheer for other teams, which hinders them from feeling an allegiance to the state school.

By no means am I saying that this is the only reason (a winning program who occasionally played into the BT Championship race would help), but it is definitely a factor that should not be overlooked.

If we would have won 2 more games this year, it would have made Seantrell's choice a little harder. 8-4 sure looks a hell of alot better than 6-6.

Top Bottom