2010 incoming class

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Since Trevor and Royce haven't and probably won't play this year, doesn't that technically beef up the 2010 incoming class?

Since Trevor and Royce haven't and probably won't play this year, doesn't that technically beef up the 2010 incoming class?

If both play next year, yes. It's still POSSIBLE one or both play THIS year. Unlikely but...

Eliason is a promising big man who will redshirt. Hollins is a talented wing who has a very good "upside" potential.

The 3rd recruit is unknown. If Cory Joseph is the one, he is very talented and probable starter from Day 1.

Let's call it like it is.

With Hollins and Double E coming in, the Gophers 2010 class will rank far, FAR behind some of the great recruiting classes coming into the Big 10. Looks ugly right now and probably will not change (adding say, Creekmur, isn't going to help when comparing our 2010 class vs. others).

Scary.

With Hollins and Double E coming in, the Gophers 2010 class will rank far, FAR behind some of the great recruiting classes coming into the Big 10. Looks ugly right now and probably will not change (adding say, Creekmur, isn't going to help when comparing our 2010 class vs. others).

Scary.

Cory Joseph is still a good possibility for the Gophers. He's Top 25.

Hollins is Top 150 range but has potential to be much better than that.

Eliason same (Top 150 range) but he is good redshirt candidate behind RSIII and Iverson.

If you're referring to the idea that they'll be joining the team to play in games in 2010, and this makes this kinda part of the 2010 incoming class, which is what I assuming is your intent, you're absolutely right it beefs up the class. You go from having a center that has a promising future but will likely redshirt and take time to develop, an athletic shooter that also has a promising future but may or may not be a contributor as a freshamn and an unknown third (which is hopefully Joseph) and you add two legitimate D1 power forwards to the mix. In this regard, it will certainly beef up the class of newcomers for 2010, if that's how you want to count these two.

As far as whether or not these two are on the team next year, I have to think Coach Smith has faith both will. Right now, the only guy we'd have that would be anything close to a natural four on next year's team (if neither of White or Mbakwe play) would be Dawson. If Coach Smith felt either was not going to be on the team next year, you'd hope he would have dismissed one or both and opened up those scholarships to pursue power forward prospects. Now, his faith they play is no guarantee that they will, but I certainly hope they will.

Cory Joseph is still a good possibility for the Gophers. He's Top 25.

Hollins is Top 150 range but has potential to be much better than that.

Eliason same (Top 150 range) but he is good redshirt candidate behind RSIII and Iverson.

I'd describe Cory's current status as 'an outside possibility' for the Gophers. He is a legit, impact recruit. Getting him would make 2010 good. But, he is not in our 2010 class and, more likely than not, will not be.

I understand what Hollins and EE are - and, like I said, we are significantly outshined by many other programs in the Big 10 for 2010.

I'd describe Cory's current status as 'an outside possibility' for the Gophers. He is a legit, impact recruit. Getting him would make 2010 good. But, he is not in our 2010 class and, more likely than not, will not be.

I understand what Hollins and EE are - and, like I said, we are significantly outshined by many other programs in the Big 10 for 2010.

By no means is he (Cory) a likely Gopher but a good possibility, hardly an outside possibility.

With the talent Tubby assembled over the past two years, I was okay with this year's recruiting class -- and I'm even assuming Joseph will not be part of it. Nothing wrong with using a year to add depth and some kids who might need a year or so to thrive when playing time will be hard to come by.

However, if White and Mbakwe aren't here next year, then we're in trouble. Remove those two from last year's class, then look at this one without Joseph, and that's two subpar classes in a row.

By no means is he (Cory) a likely Gopher but a good possibility, hardly an outside possibility.

"Good possibility" vs. "outside possibility" becomes subjective at some point. Why I side with 'outside' vs. 'good' is because I believe it's not likely he will come to Minnesota (if I had to chose a percentage, I'd go with 10%). Texas, UCONN and Nova would be the three I'd call 'good', with an outside chance for Minnesota and a remote chance for the other school in his final five - UNLV.

If you want a 'good possibility', look at Creekmur to sign soon.

Hates Monikers said:
With the talent Tubby assembled over the past two years, I was okay with this year's recruiting class -- and I'm even assuming Joseph will not be part of it. Nothing wrong with using a year to add depth and some kids who might need a year or so to thrive when playing time will be hard to come by.

However, if White and Mbakwe aren't here next year, then we're in trouble. Remove those two from last year's class, then look at this one without Joseph, and that's two subpar classes in a row.

Agreed.

Scary.

Thank you Gopher Warrior for speaking the truth.
EE us a skinny 6-10 center that plays in Nebraska. It's like Tubby decided to recruit a skinnier version of Colton Iverson. Hollins is from an region of the country that produces some good prep basketball players every year and he somehow flew under the radar. He's undersized for a Big Ten wing, but apparently he can shoot. Who knows with this kid. For what its worth, neither are ranked in the top 100 on Scout.com last time I checked and both are 3 star guys.
I've expressed my disappointment with this class in the past and I'm not affraid to do it again. Tubby thought he was going to have Trevor and Royce next season and it looks like he recruited role players to complement those two.
Well, role players is what he got.

bgf

Thank you Gopher Warrior for speaking the truth.
EE us a skinny 6-10 center that plays in Nebraska. It's like Tubby decided to recruit a skinnier version of Colton Iverson. Hollins is from an region of the country that produces some good prep basketball players every year and he somehow flew under the radar. He's undersized for a Big Ten wing, but apparently he can shoot. Who knows with this kid. For what its worth, neither are ranked in the top 100 on Scout.com last time I checked and both are 3 star guys.
I've expressed my disappointment with this class in the past and I'm not affraid to do it again. Tubby thought he was going to have Trevor and Royce next season and it looks like he recruited role players to complement those two.
Well, role players is what he got.

While I may share your general perspective of our 2010 class your descriptions of EE and AH don't seem fair.

EE is "skinny" ? EE is 6'11" and 235 per http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/Pt...ball-winter-09-10/profile-elliott-eliason.htm

That is about what Colt was in high school.

Yes, he will probably redshirt and he will not be "skinny" when he does hit the Barn floor for real.

AH is an "undersized" wing. He is a 6'3 and 170 lbs SG. That makes him about the same size as Devoe. Do you classify Devoe as an undersized "wing"?

Just sayin'

:)

While I may share your general perspective of our 2010 class your descriptions of EE and AH don't seem fair.

EE is "skinny" ? EE is 6'11" and 235 per http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/Pt...ball-winter-09-10/profile-elliott-eliason.htm

That is about what Colt was in high school.

Yes, he will probably redshirt and he will not be "skinny" when he does hit the Barn floor for real.

AH is an "undersized" wing. He is a 6'3 and 170 lbs SG. That makes him about the same size as Devoe. Do you classify Devoe as an undersized "wing"?

Just sayin'

Not to be rude, but have you seen pictures of EE? He's very skinny. Also, I've seen him listed at 6-9 and 6-11, so I settled on 6-10, right in the middle.
And, yes, I consider Devoe an undersized wing. That's one of the reasons why he struggles on defense.

EE picture 1

EE picture 2

Not to be rude, but have you seen pictures of EE? He's very skinny. Also, I've seen him listed at 6-9 and 6-11, so I settled on 6-10, right in the middle.
And, yes, I consider Devoe an undersized wing. That's one of the reasons why he struggles on defense.

EE picture 1

EE picture 2

We recruited that guy? He looks like he needs to put on about 50lbs. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but he looks like a 5-10 minute player as an upperclassman...

You can tell how much playinhg time he will get by a picture a him sitting on the stairs.

You can tell how much playinhg time he will get by a picture a him sitting on the stairs.

I cant, just looks very young and skinny. Ne idea when that pic was taken though. Like I said, maybe he will prove me wrong, I hope so.

EE already weighs more than Mike Tisdale and JuJuan Johnson. They seem to be doing alright. Not saying he will be a stud, it's been documented the staff sees him as a project.

EE already weighs more than Mike Tisdale and JuJuan Johnson. They seem to be doing alright. Not saying he will be a stud, it's been documented the staff sees him as a project.

Does he posses anywhere near their skill set though, or athletic ability? I have no idea, maybe you do? Honestly, I have no clue how good this kid is or could be, but if your that big and not a very highly recruited guy, my guess is his skill level does not equal his size...

Does he posses anywhere near their skill set though, or athletic ability? I have no idea, maybe you do? Honestly, I have no clue how good this kid is or could be, but if your that big and not a very highly recruited guy, my guess is his skill level does not equal his size...

The point he was making to you was that he's not as skinny as you think he is and that other guys who weigh even less are having success.

If he redshirts, he could easily put on 25+ pounds if that's what the coaches want.

BGF

EE picture 1

EE picture 2

Yes I have seen the pics of EE. Perhaps he has heavy bones that help him tip the scales at 235 !

Regarding Devoe and undersized wing: fair enough. He is a bit light but I don't consider 6' 3" an undersized SG. Certainly undersized to play the 3.

Top Bottom