2009 Recruits 5.7 or better from Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
The 2009 recruiting class is what should make up most of your red-shirt seniors for 2013. So, I thought I would look at what happened to Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. I will look only at those ranked 3* 5.7 or above. I do work!

Wisconsin had seven players meeting this standard. Iowa had three. Minnesota had eleven. We all get excited about higher ranked players. But it’s interesting how often they don’t make it to graduation. And of those that do, many don’t see the field.

Wisconsin
Kraig Appleton 4* Kicked off team. Ended up in the news after being shot repeatedly.
Montee Ball 4* Great career. Did not red-shirt so his career is complete.
David Gilbert 4* Good career. Back for 5th year.
Shelby Harris 4* Kicked off Badgers. Recently kicked off Illinois State.
Jordan Kohout 4* Career cut short due to migraine headaches that caused two minor strokes.
John Budmayr 3* 5.7 Rarely has played. Often injured. Back for 5th season.
Pat Muldoon 3* 5.7 Having good career. Back for 5th season.

Iowa
Keenan Davis 4* Good career. Did not red-shirt.
Brandon Wegher 4* Good freshman year. Quit before sophomore year. Quit everything.
Jordan Cotton 3* 5.7 12 catches last year. Back for 5th year.

Minnesota
Hayo Carpenter 4* Hayo!
Michael Carter 4* Great Senior year. Good luck in the NFL!
Hassan Lipscomb 4* Never made it here.
Moses Alipate 3* 5.7 Has never played. Back for 5th year.
Bryant Allen 3* 5.7 Transferred after sophomore season to Illinois State. Not on their roster.
Josh Campion 3* 5.7 Didn’t make it… in that class at least!
Matt Garin 3* 5.7 Didn’t work out, at least in Kill’s system. Graduating.
KGM 3* 5.7 Played on Defense. Switched to Tight End. Hurt back. Back this year.
Ra ‘shed Hageman 3* 5.7 Having great career. Staying to improve draft position.
Kerry Lewis 3* 5.7 Transferred after red-shirting.
Joey Searcy 3* 5.7 Never made it here.

+1 - Very interesting! I expect most people here will have different takes on what all of this means. Therefore in honor of my good friend wren I would have liked to capture/paraphrase his view on recruiting stars. The problem is that I can't remember exactly what he used to say but I do remember him using the word fantasy though.

P.S. I do think it does says Kill's approach to recruiting has a lot of positives. Over the years he has learned what to look for in a recruit both physically and mentally and has developed a process to cut down on the number of mistakes.

FYI, Budamyr will be a student coach for UW this year. He's not playing his 5th. Combo of arm injuries and realism coming in behind 4 other guys.

Top Bottom