2 Questions for Doogie to ask brewster...

Reaction score
Hey Doogie-

You recently solicited board input on potential questions you might include during a future interview with tim brewster.

I guess I would have two questions, both of which I would be curious to find out brewster's responses:

1. "with your lengthy background (10+ years) in working for Mack Brown at North Carolina in the ACC and Texas in the Big 12 (therefore, you presumably know what good college football is all about), and knowing the national perception of the Big 10 Conference during recent years (slow, ploddy, lacks elite players and teams, not much better than the MIAC/WIAC, etc.), are you surprised at the difficulty you've had in competing in Conference?...with a 6-18 overall Conference record...and an 0-9 record in rivalry/trophy games...do you believe the Big 10 is under-rated? and better than you had anticipated coming in 3+ years ago?"

2. "with all of your self-proclaimed prowess in college football recruiting, have you been surprised at how little success you've had while recruiting in-state here in Minnesota?"

"Just off the top of my head, WR David Gilreath, LB Blake Sorenson, DE Broderick Binns in 2007 (I know...not much time to recruit these three, since you were just hired a few weeks earlier)...but WR Michael Floyd, DL Willie Mobley, DE Brenden Kelly, OL Joe Schafer in 2008...WR Bryce McNeal in 2009...OT Seantrel Henderson, DT Beau Allen, DE Tobi Okuyemi, AJ Tarpley in 2010...not to mention Roszell Gayden...all spurned your scholarship offer to stay home and play for the maroon and gold...and headed for greener pastures..."

This is not to say that brewster has been shut out in Minnesota. He has reeled locals, such as JD Pride, Shady Salamon, John Nance, Ryan Grant, Andre Tate, et al.

Thanks for inviting our input, Doogie.

Let us know how he responds...

Do you understand the word "Prick" if not look in a mirror.

CRG you are right and I should learn not to respond to this dribble by these trolls.

I can't stand people ask such dumb questions. You *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#in' moron CC! And MNGopher11 go back to BHGP fruitcake.

That original post was the epitome of cherry picking LOL

I think the questions are fair. I don't necessarily think you have to ask them the way the original poster is---

Is recruiting tougher at Minnesota than you thought it would be three years ago?

Where is this program compared today compared to where you thought it would be when you took the job? (Why is it not where you thought it would be?)

How are the challenges of drawing top-tier talent to the Big Ten different than it was drawing them to the ACC and Big 12?

You don't have to be a prick to ask tough questions... you just have to not be a prick.

Regardless of the fairness of those questions, they are rather irrelevant. Spend time asking him about players and changes. Quit dwelling on media hoopla.

I think the questions are fair. I don't necessarily think you have to ask them the way the original poster is---

Is recruiting tougher at Minnesota than you thought it would be three years ago?

Where is this program compared today compared to where you thought it would be when you took the job? (Why is it not where you thought it would be?)

How are the challenges of drawing top-tier talent to the Big Ten different than it was drawing them to the ACC and Big 12?

You don't have to be a prick to ask tough questions... you just have to not be a prick.

You're right -- those ARE fair questions. I don't think anybody would have a problem with those questions. Those aren't the questions the troll asked, regardless of how many different ways he might have asked them. Plus, the premise of #2 is just wrong. You can argue that some people may have expected more recruiting victories from Brewster, but there is little denying that he has had more success than any other Gopher coach (maybe not Holtz?) in the past 40 years.

You're right -- those ARE fair questions. I don't think anybody would have a problem with those questions. Those aren't the questions the troll asked, regardless of how many different ways he might have asked them. Plus, the premise of #2 is just wrong. You can argue that some people may have expected more recruiting victories from Brewster, but there is little denying that he has had more success than any other Gopher coach (maybe not Holtz?) in the past 40 years.

Holtz is, was, and will always be a carpet-bagging, cheating, POS. Please don't even bring him up.

Plus, the premise of #2 is just wrong. You can argue that some people may have expected more recruiting victories from Brewster...

:eek:

Let's review a few of his in-state recruiting failures once again...

WR David Gilreath, LB Blake Sorenson, DE Broderick Binns in 2007...WR Michael Floyd, DL Willie Mobley, DE Brenden Kelly, OL Joe Schafer in 2008...WR Bryce McNeal in 2009...OT Seantrel Henderson, DT Beau Allen, DE Tobi Okuyemi, LB AJ Tarpley in 2010...not to mention OL Roszell Gayden...

I'm not quite sure what to say, other than brewster has gotten his @$$ kicked in-state (for the most part) for the past 3+ years. But you seem OK with it???

You don't think this topic is worthy of meaningful dialogue between Doogie and master-recruiter brewster???

WR David Gilreath, LB Blake Sorenson, DE Broderick Binns in 2007...WR Michael Floyd, DL Willie Mobley, DE Brenden Kelly, OL Joe Schafer in 2008...WR Bryce McNeal in 2009...OT Seantrel Henderson, DT Beau Allen, DE Tobi Okuyemi, LB AJ Tarpley in 2010...not to mention OL Roszell Gayden...

I'm not quite sure what to say, other than brewster has gotten his @$$ kicked in-state (for the most part) for the past 3+ years. But you seem OK with it???

You don't think this topic is worthy of meaningful dialogue between Doogie and master-recruiter brewster???

Ask Doogie how many MN recruits he has lost to WI and IA since he took over compared to how many he has signed? Ask him if this is the first time in 20 years that we have signed more WI players than lost players to WI. Ask him why idiots on some local forums want to say Gilreath, Sorenson, Binns were lost recruits when they had already been recruited for years by the team that signed them and Brewster wasn't hired until their recruitment was over? Ask him why idiots on forums don't mention the MN recruits such as Gjere or Maresh or Lamonte Edwards or Tommy Olson or Matt Garin or Ed Olson or Ra'shede Hageman or Moses Alipate that Brewster has recruited that would have played for WI or IA in previous years? Ask him why it is child's play to see the agenda of some on here by posting half-truths and childish rants.

Now there are some good questions for Doogie.

I just thought of another question for Doogie. Ask him why Gopherhole no longer gets all giddy over 3 star recruits like it did under Mason and previous coaches.

Oh and one more question for Doogie. When is the NCAA going to "bring the hammer down" on Brewster like Conference Champ (aka Pantherhawk) said they would for the multiple recruiting violations that occurred when Brewster bought pizza for Seantrel Henderson family at TCF Stadium? Conference Champ assured us it would happen. Any insight Doogie?

Instead of Doogie asking Brewster these questions, I'd rather have Jeff Ireland interview ConferenceChamp.

Here's what I said:

"... There is little denying that he has had more success than any other Gopher coach (maybe not Holtz?) in the past 40 years."

That is true, in state or out-of-state, whether you count 2007 (which I don't) or not.

I just thought of another question for Doogie. Ask him why Gopherhole no longer gets all giddy over 3 star recruits like it did under Mason and previous coaches.

Well said.

also dont know what is worse, trolls, trolls pretending to be gopher fans, or people who claim to be MN fans, but hope the gophers fail to suit their own personal agendas.

casual fans suck. conditional fans suck worse.

Regardless of the fairness of those questions, they are rather irrelevant. Spend time asking him about players and changes. Quit dwelling on media hoopla.

The media stuff is inconsquential. If he doesn;t win enough anything Brewster says sounds weak. If he talks big and loses, he's a windbag/idiot. If he talks small (plays down expectations) and loses, he has no enthusiasm or expectations. The only way a coach can "win" is by winning.

Top Bottom