1st Gopher football memory

The first game I remember attending was a homecoming game against Vanderbilt (Spook the house that Vander built). The highlight of the game for me was the balloon release with thousands of maroon and gold balloons filling the air. Quite a sight to behold for a ten year-old. I also enjoyed the biplane circling around the stadium with the sign "SKOL LIQUORS DIAL RAW BEEF".

The first one that really sticks out for me was the game against Penn State in 1999 when Nystrom kicked the field goal over the arms of Lavar Arrington. I was 10 at the time and have been following Gopher football ever since.

1st game day experience-September 24, 1977. MN 27-UCLA-13. 2nd big memory. Working in the backyard and listening to Ray Christensen on radio call the upset of #1 rated Michigan 16.0. I was hooked. The Gophers are the Chicago Cubs to me. Once they were great and i will be there when they are great again or I will die trying!

Mine was a game against TCU in 1974. Don't remember many specifics as I was very young. The artificial turf sticks in my mind, and I vaguely remember a punt that went straight up in the air and landed at the line of scrimmage.
A couple neat memories of Memorial Stadium:
My brother was a student at the U in the early '70's. We went to visit him once during the spring, and we walked to the stadium where we found some of the players working out. Tony Dungy was one of them, and my mom took some 8mm movies of my brothers and I running around the field along with those Gopher players.
The other one reminds me of how lax security used to be back in the day. My brother, a student at the time, walked down to the sideline during a game with Ohio State and snapped several photos of Woody Hayes from about 6 feet away. He still has them in a desk at home and we look at them occasionally for laughs. He was lucky Woody didn't slug him.

I don't really remember the first game I attended but my earliest Gopher football memory is the '86 Liberty Bowl. My parents let my brother and I stay up late to listen to it.

I don't really remember the first game I attended but my earliest Gopher football memory is the '86 Liberty Bowl. My parents let my brother and I stay up late to listen to it.

This is one of my earliest memories as well. Somehow the CBS station in Alexandria (not owned by WCCO yet) got the rights to televise the game. Considering it was one of two channels we got, that was a BIG deal. Usually, you were lucky if they were on TV once a year as the ABC game of the week and that was it.

First memory...listening to the Gophs on the radio heading to the cabin up north of Alexandria...got interested when Lou Hotz became coach...just kept watching after Lou left...first game...U defeats Ohio U at the dome...the score was rediculous...fun game to watch for a first game...best game in person was U defeats Penn St in happy valley...effin awesome...most memorable loss...4th quarter collapse against Michigan a few years ago...closely followed by fantom interference call against Penn St that cost us that game...

Going with my family, Paul Giel's last game. 21 to 21 tie against Bucky.

1982 Metrodome opener vs. Ohio.

56-3, I think. I thinky my mom still has the program stashed away in my "kid" things somewhere. Dad's station wagon stalled on the way home, which as a kid, I thought was an awesome adventure.

1950. Grade school. Seeing the Gophers tie Michigan 7-7 at memorial in Bierman's last year. Michigan had won seven straight against the Gophers and was national champ '47-'48. Gophers won only one game that year and this tie was definitely regarded as a victory. I was hooked - Giel showed up the next year and my dad bought season tickets.

1950. Grade school. Seeing the Gophers tie Michigan 7-7 at Memorial in Bierman's last year. Michigan had won seven straight against the Gophers and was national champ '47-'48. Gophers won only one game that year and this tie was definitely regarded as a victory. I was hooked - Giel showed up the next year and my dad bought season tickets.

1978 vs Toledo. It was my first Gopher game ever. I remember the Rocket mascot had a fire extinguisher and he'd spray smoke on Goldy. I also remember my dad bought me a Gopher pennant that I still have today. The Gophers won pretty handily too.

Sharing a suite at the dome with a guy dressed in red as my dad and I watched Nebraska kill the Gophers in 1983. I guess every game since has been an improvement

1978 vs Toledo. It was my first Gopher game ever. I remember the Rocket mascot had a fire extinguisher and he'd spray smoke on Goldy. I also remember my dad bought me a Gopher pennant that I still have today. The Gophers won pretty handily too.

I was at that game too. My first memory is a TV game of the Gophers vs. Purdue. Either Jim Carter or Barry Mayer scored a TD in the "Cooke Hall" endzone and threw the ball into the stands or over the endzone seats. If I recall correctly he was not penalized, apparently because the refs had not seen that before and didn;t know what to do. I think the announcer said something like, "Well Barry Mayer just cost the U of Minnesota $22.00." I think that $22 was an expensive ball at the time.

I was at that game too. My first memory is a TV game of the Gophers vs. Purdue. Either Jim Carter or Barry Mayer scored a TD in the "Cooke Hall" endzone and threw the ball into the stands or over the endzone seats. If I recall correctly he was not penalized, apparently because the refs had not seen that before and didn;t know what to do. I think the announcer said something like, "Well Barry Mayer just cost the U of Minnesota $22.00." I think that $22 was an expensive ball at the time.

I remember that game! I didn't until I read this. Thanks for the memory.

This is an awesome thread. This gets my mind off the things I don't want to remember, and reminds me of why I love this team and the college game so much.

First general memories were listening to Ray in the late 50's and then eagerly getting the Tribune the next day. In the fall its Sunday sports section was the Peach. It was peach colored and contained several full pages covering Saturday's Gopher game. By 1960, I would read every word, look at every stat, and carefully study every picture. The photos were great. There would be at least one panoramic shot of the field taken from the top of the stadium. It was usually of a big offensive play by the Gophers. I don't remember how often, but I know if the play was long enough they would put a broken line in the photograph. The line would show the trajectory of a pass or the path a runner took on a long touchdown run. The defenders would be frozen, but that line still helped you picture what Ray had described on the air the day before. The other type of photography I loved was they would put in a series of 8 or 10 pictures of a big play. It was like individual frames of a movie. You'd see Stephens take the snap, pivot, start to roll out, and then watch the option unfold. You could study Larson's block after he snapped, Munsey leading Stephens and making a block on the end, Campbell's pattern going down the field, etc.

That 1960 season has the first Gopher game I distinctly remember. That was when number one-ranked Iowa came to Memorial Stadium in the middle of the season. We were undefeated and highly ranked also. We won fairly easily. Tom Brown, our All American guard just dominated on defense. Iowa had an All-American center, Bill VanBuren, but it was no contest. Even early on I could tune Ray in and pretty much tell from his voice how the Gophers were doing. On that day, Ray was literally bubbly.

In the fall its Sunday sports section was the Peach. It was peach colored and contained several full pages covering Saturday's Gopher game.

Like this? I just saw this today on Craigslist from 1947:

3o03p13l75Z25P05X5a9n6f0138038efe1b8b.jpg

3n73k23m65O05U25P5a9n56cf663a637e16bb.jpg

3nb3mc3le5V15Z65W1a9n8434ff2258ba1053.jpg

Yeah, the Peach was great! And they use to have a series of photos outlining what was considered a key play of the game with arrows and lines on top of the photo. It was way cool!

Was at the 16-0 game against Michigan when they were ranked #1. Loved Ray C. calling the games.

Best memory is walking up to my bedroom after Gophers drop snap have put blocked against Wiscy to lose game we have won and see a huge piece of gum on my bedroom TV and see my then 8 year old son sitting in the recliner with tears running down his face.

This thread, FTW.

First Gopher game was when I was in high school. I went to school waaaay up in Superior, WI. Our football coach would take the entire team to one game a year. I'm sure he picked Minnesota because it was closer than Mad-town. Our school rouser is the same as the Gophers, and our crowd chanted, "S-U-P-E-R-I-O-R, Superior! Superior! GOOOOOO SPARTANS!!" after every touchdown. That may had something to do with it as well. Anyway, I think the first game we attended was in '98, home game against MSU. TC was a stud, if I remember correctly. The next year, we attended the Ohio State game. I think we went into that game ranked in the top 25. Lost it, obviously. It was around those times I REALLY started to follow the Gophs, as I normally just followed the Twins and Vikings. A couple of Saturdays after that OSU game, I remember hanging with my mom's boyfriend, we were at a sports trading card show in a strip mall in Mounds View and we were listening to the Gophers play PSU. At Beaver Stadium. When PSU was ranked #2. You all know the story. When we kicked that winning FG, the entire strip mall erupted (everyone was sports fans, obviously). ((BTW, why can't I find a link to the highlights of this game.. EVERY site I check out that claims to have it, says either the url is forbidden or the video has expired.. I smell a conspiracy!!))

The Gophers grew on me. I remember the Final Four team, with the paid off refs and everything. I think how they seemed to be a fringe tourney team and my mom's then-husband was a huge Minnesota homer, I ended up following them because of that. The Final Four year happened and I started getting hooked.. Then a few years later my experiences with my HS football team all added up to being a Gopher fan. For awhile I didn't follow them too closely because of the WI market, but I kept tabs with family that lived in the TC and they kept me kinda in the loop.

Handful of years later, after I moved from Superior to Menomonie, WI, my huge Gopher fan uncle started pulling me and my sports loving cousins together at his cabin in Osceola, WI to watch the Gopher-Badger games. One of my cousins at that time (huge Bucknutt) lived in Madison and worked at UofW, so he had connections for tix. The 2004 Gophers @ Badgers game was my first outdoor D1 football game. Sat in the section RIGHT next to the student section. We got blown out, but still got under the students skin enough for them to start a stadium wide 'A$$HOLE' chant. Was friggin' awesome. That was the same year my previously mentioned uncle bought season tickets. He would bring me to a game or two a year as his schedule allowed, and his seats were pretty nice.. On the 45-50 yard line row 3, right behind the visitor's bench. When TCF was built and he was offered his chance to bid on his seats, he almost didn't. I talked him in keeping his season tickets, offering to split the cost with the exception I got to go to my choice of games. He obliged and to this day I attend almost every home game (typically my schedule runs that I end up missing one game a year). Nice thing, we have almost similar seats than he did at the Dome.. This time we are on the 30 yard line, behind the visitor's bench.. but we have 1st row seats. Coincidentally, the guy that sat next to us in the Dome sits right behind us at the Bank. He's also the guy that writes the Friday match ups on The Daily Gopher.

I vaguely remember bits and pieces of Rickey Foggie in the Independence Bowl and the Boz barely sneaking out of town with a W in '85. It's hard to believe, but I think Chip Lohmiller's 62 yard field goal against the Squawk-eyes was the moment that lit my fire for Gopher Football.

1974 home opener vs. Ohio State. Archie Griffin was the running back for the Buckeyes. Tony Dungy was the Gophers quarterback and Rick Upchurch was the running back. Woody Hayes was quoted in the newspaper the next day as saying that Upchurch was good enough to play for his team. Apparently, Upchurch was from Ohio and not recruited heavily by Ohio State.

1983/84 - sitting in a Metrodome suite for my first Gopher football game with the rest of my Cub Scouts crew. Can't remember the team we played or the final score.

The first game I remember attending was a homecoming game against Vanderbilt (Spook the house that Vander built). The highlight of the game for me was the balloon release with thousands of maroon and gold balloons filling the air. Quite a sight to behold for a ten year-old. I also enjoyed the biplane circling around the stadium with the sign "SKOL LIQUORS DIAL RAW BEEF".

DIAL RAW BEEF-That is my first memory also. I think it was against Ill. on homecoming(not sure though). Don't remember a thing about the game, just the sign. I was less than 10.

Listening on cco from 1960 on.

At Memorial Stadium in 1966 against Purdue. Purdue QB was Bob Griese.

This is one of my earliest memories as well. Somehow the CBS station in Alexandria (not owned by WCCO yet) got the rights to televise the game. Considering it was one of two channels we got, that was a BIG deal. Usually, you were lucky if they were on TV once a year as the ABC game of the week and that was it.

Must have been channel 7. I recall being a kid at my grandparents' cabin in Alexandria and that was the only channel available. Seemed in the early '80s the only shows on channel 7 were soaps, Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom, and 'CCO news from the Cities.

My earliest Gophers memory is the '83 loss to Nebraska, 84-13 or whatever it was. I remember the whole family being in a bad mood, except my mom, who hated football (and still does).

The first game I remember was the 1950 Ohio State game on the radio (48-0 Loss, Ouch). First game in person was '56 Iowa game (Another loss, 7-0). Saw every home game as student ('61-'65), so was able to see the good years with Eller, Bell and company. Loved to listen to Halsey Hall describe the Gopher games on the radio.

WCCO radio. Cornelius Greene QBing OSU, Dungy for gophers. OSU won a close game. Early 70s. Best memory...i was at the 16-0 win over Michigan. Paul Rogind and Marian Barber. Carlson at QB. Gophers were on probation so no highlights were shown on national TV. They were barely allowed to talk about it.

In October 1955, my Dad and I attended the snowy game at Memorial Stadium against USC and their star running back, Jon Arnett. The Gophers won, 25-19!

Addict, that was my first game, too. I told some Trojan fans all about it last weekend. The game-breaking play was a 60+ yard clock-eating quarterback sneak by Don Swanson. An inch of snow may have fallen between the snap and the time he crossed the goalline. You can watch the game film on the University Libraries' "Brickhouse" online exhibit that pays tribute to Memorial Stadium.

Top Bottom