1990 Indiana at Minnesota

Moonlight

Reaction score
We had such a great time watching this game tonight. Seeing Coffey, Burton, Bond, Shik (with his mullet), Lynch, Clem, and on. Great energy and shooting. AND - even Hightower.:oops:

At least 8 or so "Gopher Classics" are now on youtube and the quality is pretty good on some of the older broadcasts.

I watched some old games from the Dutcher era (not part of that batch just noted), and he sure recruited a lot of talent in the late 70s and early 80s. Those teams underachieved based on the talent on the court, and I realize it was really hard to get in the NCAA dance back then.

What I noticed from a 1980 Purdue game I watched a couple of nights ago was that the TV camera view used to be from the south side of Williams Arena (University Ave side). That surprised me, but when I watched the 1990 Indiana game tonight on the "classic" series, the camera view was still from the south side.

Today, I am accustomed to seeing the north side view with the benches in view, and the band and student section to the right, but I guess years ago I did not pay much attention to these things. I think there was a renovation around 1994 when the Barn Lofts were added, and that must be when they moved the primary TV camera locations.

What is really interesting, and it snuck up on my that Fred Taylor is the commentator. Taylor was Bobby Knight's coach at Ohio State and HC at OSU during the infamous brawl back in the Musselman era. Taylor was thought by some to be one of the keepers of the "white quota" system that Musselman violated. Taylor updated his look and seems younger on this video. Earlier he looked more like a 1958 era phy ed teacher, but in 1980 NBC must have sent him for a makeover.

That brawl was only 8 or so years before this game, so it had to be an interesting return to the old barn. Apparently that game was a factor in Taylor retiring, and Knight allegedly hated Musselman after that event, despite their similarities in temperament and coaching styles.

Michelob:

Last edited:

It was a blast watching that game again. Wouldn't it be great to get back to fielding a team where all five players on the floor had NBA futures? For stretches that team went with Newburn-Bond-Lynch-Burton-Coffey, all of whom played in the League. The 2-headed big man monster of Shikenjanski and Martin did their jobs. Connell Lewis was lightning quick as a depth guy. Clem's teams could flat out defend. Fun to watch!

Top Bottom