10 most overrated head coaches in college football ahead of 2022 season (#4. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

I would take Fitz 100 out of 100 times if he was interested in the gophers job. Dood has Northwestern more relevant in recent memory than the gophers.. with that said... I'm all aboard the p.j. train... Love where we are going...
I agree with that

I don’t think Fitzgerald is bad by any means. Definitely a top 40 coach in the country. Just not convinced he is a top 10-15

We have a better record since 2017 than Northwestern. Fitz is a good coach, but I don't think he's the coaching god some make him out to be. 109-90 is a good record considering the hurdles NW deals with, but I wouldn't drop PJ for him in a million years.
Are The academic standards at nw harder?? I'm just asking as I have no clue... But that job is so much more difficult that Minnesota's IMO

I agree with that

I don’t think Fitzgerald is bad by any means. Definitely a top 40 coach in the country. Just not convinced he is a top 10-15

There's no argument against your statement. And I agree with it... But he does have more B1G west championships in the last decade than everyone but wisc....

It's more than wins and losses that count in my book. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.

I think the writer is reacting more to Fleck's media profile.

Fleck does get a lot of attention for the more 'quirky' side of his personality - the sayings, slogans, acronyms, the very upbeat - some might say hyper - personality, etc.

so I think some people react to that instead of his coaching. Because, for all of the more flamboyant aspects of his persona - when it comes to coaching, Fleck is actually a very conservative coach. You could even call him an 'old-school' coach, based strictly on his on-field coaching.

that dichotomy is what makes Fleck interesting - but also why some people just flat out don't like him.

now, if his coaching style matched his persona, that would be nuts - a wackier version of Mike Leach. on the other hand, if his persona matched his coaching style, he would potentially be one of the most boring coaches in the country.

There's no argument against your statement. And I agree with it... But he does have more B1G west championships in the last decade than everyone but wisc....
Yeah. But one of those championships was in a Covid year which I don’t take as serious because it was so goofy.

The other was 8-4 regular season.

In the timeframe of those 2 division titles his teams are 22-25 (16-18).

His best stretch as a coach he is under .500 yet I’m supposed to believe he is the best coach in the conference.

Northwestern is a hard job, yet the two coaches before Fitzgerald both won big ten titles and he hasn’t.

Fleck does get a lot of attention for the more 'quirky' side of his personality - the sayings, slogans, acronyms, the very upbeat - some might say hyper - personality, etc.

so I think some people react to that instead of his coaching. Because, for all of the more flamboyant aspects of his persona - when it comes to coaching, Fleck is actually a very conservative coach. You could even call him an 'old-school' coach, based strictly on his on-field coaching.

that dichotomy is what makes Fleck interesting - but also why some people just flat out don't like him.

now, if his coaching style matched his persona, that would be nuts - a wackier version of Mike Leach. on the other hand, if his persona matched his coaching style, he would potentially be one of the most boring coaches in the country.
I would agree with this analysis for the most part

Yeah. But one of those championships was in a Covid year which I don’t take as serious because it was so goofy.

The other was 8-4 regular season.

In the timeframe of those 2 division titles his teams are 22-25 (16-18).

His best stretch as a coach he is under .500 yet I’m supposed to believe he is the best coach in the conference.

Northwestern is a hard job, yet the two coaches before Fitzgerald both won big ten titles and he hasn’t.
I'm sorry.. they played games in the covid year... It counts

And all these edits I gotta do. the corn likker here is for reals

I'm sorry.. they played games in the covid year... It counts

And all these edits I gotta do. the corn likker here is for reals
I didn’t say it didn’t count. I said I don’t value it as much of an indication of how successful coaches are going to be or how I would rate coaches.

It definitely counts. Good for them

The conference record is the only record that counts.
I did not read the article but Frost clearly was very overrated when he took the job and then for the next years.
PJ has a great need to be the center of attraction but aside from that, I did not think most writers expected him to be the Second Coming of Warmath.

I rather have a Hall of Fame person as my coach, I believe Fitzgerald is a Hall of Fame person with roots in his program. PJ has brought energy do the program, he has had a rotating door for coaches. Not the smartest guy in the room, he makes up for it with energy. Only Div 1 program in the state, great resources and new facility. I have been following these blogs for awhile, good information, but if the fan base was so happy with the program, we would not be wasting time talking about anything but the players and how they are going to win.
You clearly haven't been following these kinds of blogs for very long. This one stays on topic much more than most of them.

First year counts. 2020 is a nothing other than part of official record. But the writer did not say "three bowl wins". They were only bowl "appearances".
The COVID year absolutely counts, but not in a "didn't win more than 7 games" analysis. We only played 7 games.

But you're right that EVERYTHING counts, it's just a matter of perspective.

So I clicked the story to see who his top 10 consisted of. Writer is a Michigan State fan according to his bio.

His list includes - Ferentz, Allen, Fitzgerald, Fleck, and Franklin - so 5 Big Ten coaches out of the 10 he picked.

Pretty weak "article" even by the already low Fansided standards.
And yet Scott Frost is not on there?

I don't see anyone "rating" Frost very high, including Husker fans.
Couple years ago he would have been a slam dunk for a list like this (done by a reputable source). Now he is hanging on by a thread and basically in a make or break year.

It'd be nice if the author of the article could read this.

I don't see anyone "rating" Frost very high, including Husker fans.
Yeah the best you hear from the Frost fans is how close games were last year and how they want to see what happens ... that's about it.

The COVID year absolutely counts, but not in a "didn't win more than 7 games" analysis. We only played 7 games.

But you're right that EVERYTHING counts, it's just a matter of perspective.
2020 officially counts but is not of much value in evaluating the program. When silly virtue signaling protocols prevent 33 players from traveling to Nebraska, as an example, the season can be disregarded. It is doubtful any of those players was actually sick.

The NCAA agreed the 2020 season was a throw away by giving everyone an additional season.

Top Bottom