1 More Thing - The 3-Pt Disparity is Killing Us

spermophilus

Reaction score
Next to seeing us turn it over 2x our opponents, watching the 3-1 3-pointer ratio for our opponents is exhausting and nauseating.

I would say that you really are pointing out the obvious with this post....

Good point, and we had our chances early. Devoe, Blake, Al, Westbrook, all had their chances to hit early 3s, missed them all. Thus, we built no confidence, and by the end when we needed one, nobody looked like they even wanted to attempt a 3. Tough to win on the road with no confident jump shooters. Ill played pretty good defense , but we had our chances.

The ball-line defense invites the three point shot because it's designed to limit post entry and penetration. It would rather give you the three point shot than one closer in. You reverse the ball fast enough, you have an open three because the man's sagged down in the post.

It's a very difficult defense to play because you have to recover when the ball's reversed. You can do it but it takes extreme effort and quickness to jump back out and contest that shot.

This is a simplistic answer but I'd advise anyone who is interested in basketball from an X's and O's standpoint to learn more about the ball-line defense. It's actually a lot more complicated than what I've explained.

Here's a good breakdown with some visual aids of ball line defense from a Kentucky site. Just ignore the parts about Gillispie's defense.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/story/2007/6/20/83756/8944

I've always thought with how the three point line is in college that Tubby's ball line d is better suited for the NBA game but it can be effective at the college level with an experienced, athletic roster who understands it completely.

Chuck Hayes said it took him years to feel and understand it.

Top Bottom