1/4 Big Ten Power Rankings

skyman31

Reaction score
We're about a quarter of the way through the conference season, and most teams have played about 10 games overall. Starting to get a sense of each team, and who the contenders are going to be. Obviously a lot can change, theres a lot of basketball left to play and covid/injuries/bad play can make the standings look a whole lot different by the end of the year. Curious though to hear how people would rank the big 10 at this point?

My personal rankings:

(The clear top 3 to me, order could be argued)
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois

(The other legit contenders)
Rutgers
Minnesota - need to see a road win to move up
Michigan - need to see a good win to put in the top tier

(Good teams that might not be there)
Ohio State
Northwestern
Michigan State

(Not pushovers)
Indiana - could be up a tier
Maryland
Purdue

(Bad teams)
Penn State
Nebraska

Well, since you asked:

1. Iowa
2. Illinois - Feel they are just a tick below Iowa but match up better against Gophers.
3. Michigan - Last of the unbeatens. Let's hope the Gophers can end that.
4. Wisconsin - Can't stand them! System team with no standouts.
5. Rutgers - When they are healthy and on they could be the best of the B1G.
6. Minnesota Golden Gophers - Really can't put them any higher or lower for that matter!
7. Ohio State - Feel like we didn't get their best effort.
8. Maryland - They are better than they have shown and will rise as we go forward.
9. Michigan State - Sooner or later they will start winning or Izzo will implode.
10. Indiana - They are better than the teams I have yet to mention.
11. Purdue - Getting down to nit-picking.
12. Northwestern - They got lucky and had some good games against some poor performing teams early. Welcome to the rest of the season and good luck.
13. Penn State - Back in familiar Territory. When is footb… Never mind.
14. Nebraska - Transfers apply here.

Damn, this conference is a bear! Hope the Gophers sweep Michigan!

We're about a quarter of the way through the conference season, and most teams have played about 10 games overall. Starting to get a sense of each team, and who the contenders are going to be. Obviously a lot can change, theres a lot of basketball left to play and covid/injuries/bad play can make the standings look a whole lot different by the end of the year. Curious though to hear how people would rank the big 10 at this point?

My personal rankings:

(The clear top 3 to me, order could be argued)
Wisconsin
Iowa
Illinois

(The other legit contenders)
Rutgers
Minnesota - need to see a road win to move up
Michigan - need to see a good win to put in the top tier

(Good teams that might not be there)
Ohio State
Northwestern
Michigan State

(Not pushovers)
Indiana - could be up a tier
Maryland
Purdue

(Bad teams)
Penn State
Nebraska

I wouldn't call Penn State bad. They're just not particularly good because they lack offensive punch. I agree that they are worse than the three teams in the category above them. Nebraska is bad.

In the end, I think Maryland will finish higher than Northwestern (and maybe Michigan State).

Otherwise, I like your rankings.

My best guess. I am probly higher on NW and Rutgers than some. Could easily see them move up.

1. Illinois
2. Iowa
3. Michigan
4. Wisconsin
5. Rutgers
6. Minnesota
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9. Maryland
10. Indiana
11. Ohio State
12. Purdue
13. Penn St
14. Nebraska

Gophers looking like a solid 6 pick in the conference.

That's about right.

1. Illinois--I think they win the conference. A couple elite players.
2. Iowa--I think they are so bad defensively but lord can they score
3. wisconsin--Lack of star power will hurt them in the NCAA Tourney. If they get done they'll struggle to come back. Reuvers hasn't looked good.
4. Rutgers--weird to see them up here, just in general.
5. Michigan--Hard to pick against an unbeaten but who have they beat?
6. Minnesota--Maybe a hit of a homer pick but finishing 6th wouldn't be bad. I see them finishing 3-9 at the end of the year.
7. Indiana--Tough team, deep, athletic, one elite player. Question their coach to be honest
8. Ohio State--They looked bad against the Gophers but are a really good team that is going to get better
9. Maryland--They may jump a few spots if others falter. I like them.
10. Michigan State--Izzo is a Dbag
11. Northwestern--Wheels are going to fall off, they just don't look right
12. Purdue--Painter has to be pissed. His team kinda sucks.
13. Penn St--Not last because of Nebraska
14. Nebraska--LOL. They are very bad. Gophers may lose to them though.

Michigan has looked pretty good so far despite the weak schedule. NW was the first ranked team they played, and beat them by 19.

Their schedule should put them in tier 1. They only play Iowa, Illinois, Rutgers, and Ohio St once.

Michigan has looked pretty good so far despite the weak schedule. NW was the first ranked team they played, and beat them by 19.

Their schedule should put them in tier 1. They only play Iowa, Illinois, Rutgers, and Ohio St once.

Yeah, that should help Michigan. Read somewhere that kenpom doesnt have NW favored in a game until March 3. NW plays nebraska and penn state once but gets wisc, mich, ill, rutgers, iowa all twice. Bummer. Half their league schedule is against the 5 best teams.

Last edited:

Taking nothing away from the Gophers, i am enjoying the heck out of the season so far. That being said, they gotta beat someone on the road before they're anybody.

I wouldn't call Penn State bad. They're just not particularly good because they lack offensive punch. I agree that they are worse than the three teams in the category above them. Nebraska is bad.

In the end, I think Maryland will finish higher than Northwestern (and maybe Michigan State).

Otherwise, I like your rankings.

I agree that Penn State isn't bad, but I think its because they play really bad defense and struggle inside on both ends of the floor. I've seen big parts of three games of theirs and they hang in there and have multiple guys who can shoot. They got robbed against Indiana with three calls against them in the last minute and in overtime. Job of the year so far. Blew a 20 plus point lead against Seton Hall. You don't want to catch the Nits on a night they are on.

Iowa is getting way too much credit in this thread. Mark my words. They play terrible defense and it will bite them in the rear end more than once. Maybe already has against the Gophers.

What if they split?
A split is probably the most likely occurrence. Loosing both won't knock Michigan out of the top 25. But if Minnesota does, that's another story. Especially with that Iowa game as the peanut butter of this sandwich.

So does Colgate who currently is 1-1, both games vs Army
Colgate I get a little more because the sample size is so small. So basically take no stock in Colgate’s number.

Penn state is higher. Minnesota has played over 30% of their season as has Penn State...maybe Penn state hasn’t.

I wouldn’t have a problem with net rankings if NCAA would come out and say the Net is factored but very small. Instead the phrase it and say the net is one of many tools but it is the primary tool

B1G opportunity tonight for our Gophers! Here's hoping they play to their potential!

Top Bottom