“Best two should play for the title” is stupid

Also, putting UCLA v USC would be a rematch from two weeks prior (this week's game) and give UCLA a likely chance at redemption, and upsetting USC and thus ending the PAC's bid to make the CFP.

They don't want that.

Agree that is a wacky scenario.

Don't necessarily agree that UCLA should be in the CCG. They just lost, at home, to Arizona.

Don't lose that game.
They beat ALL the other teams they are tied with. Literally ALL of them in this scenario.

Also, putting UCLA v USC would be a rematch from two weeks prior (this week's game) and give UCLA a likely chance at redemption, and upsetting USC and thus ending the PAC's bid to make the CFP.

They don't want that.
This is my point about it entirely

They beat ALL the other teams they are tied with. Literally ALL of them in this scenario.
Yeah, I don't disagree that most people would think it correct to use head-to-head results of the teams tied, as the first criteria, even if they didn't play exactly the same conf teams.

Big ten going to get two in this specifically because Ohio state and Michigan aren’t playing tonight

If they were playing tonight SEC would be getting two specifically because the big ten was giving a top 2 team an extra loss.
If Purdue was 9-3 instead of 8-4 they would be playing themselves into the top 12 tonight

Big ten going to get two in this specifically because Ohio state and Michigan aren’t playing tonight

If they were playing tonight SEC would be getting two specifically because the big ten was giving a top 2 team an extra loss.
If Purdue was 9-3 instead of 8-4 they would be playing themselves into the top 12 tonight
It didn't work out for USC either, had they maintained Divisions there would not have been a rematch with Utah who they lost to (again). In the old format they would have faced Washington, who was perhaps a more favorable match-up. The Trojans and Utes were previously in the same division.

Still I think it worked out for the PAC 12 in other aspects. It produced a highly entertaining football contest and the first ever sold out stadium at a neutral site. Utes fans gobbled up the unsold tix and had a decided crowd advantage. I am guessing the TV ratings were much better too.

As for the Big 12, I think it was beneficial for them as well this year. Hard to say if TCU and Kansas St would have been in the same Division or aligned differently. Regardless, playing another highly ranked team, losing in a closely contested OT game was not enough to knock the Horned Frogs out of the playoff. If they had lost to say a .500 Oklahoma St team, maybe that pushes them out of the Top 4. Of course, they would have been a highly touted favorite in such a game making losing unlikely.

The game itself wound up being the most entertaining of Conference Championship weekend, one of the best ever. Awesome theater.

2024 it will be different rules anyway. My hunch, all of the P5 will be Top 2.

TCU would've played K-State regardless, this year. K-State would've won the North and TCU the South. Interesting how it worked out, and then TCU stayed in the CFP anyway.

TCU would've played K-State regardless, this year. K-State would've won the North and TCU the South. Interesting how it worked out, and then TCU stayed in the CFP anyway.
I would guess that's how they would hypothetically set up Divisions, but not necessarily.

Neither the SEC nor ACC are strictly split geographically, and there was a time when the Big 10 was not either (Legends/Leaders).

I would guess that's how they would hypothetically set up Divisions, but not necessarily.

Neither the SEC nor ACC are strictly split geographically, and there was a time when the Big 10 was not either (Legends/Leaders).
Big it was when the Big 12 had divisions. So I think that is more than reasonable to assume.

It is just an assumption, regardless.

Big it was when the Big 12 had divisions. So I think that is more than reasonable to assume.

It is just an assumption, regardless.
True, that is most likely. Their Divisions pre-date TCU & W Virginia though, so maybe they would have morphed, to try to set up Texas/Oklahoma rematches.

Top Bottom