“(Gibbens) makes it really tempting to constantly go into that (transfer) portal to find somebody like him every single year,” Fleck said on KFAN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gibbens, a graduate transfer from FCS-level Abilene Christian, leads Minnesota with 48 total tackles in seven games and the 22-year-old has been instrumental in the U’s defense allowing fewer than 20 points per game this season.

“(Gibbens) makes it really tempting to constantly go into that (transfer) portal to find somebody like him every single year,” Fleck said on his KFAN radio show earlier this month.

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Gibbens, a graduate transfer from FCS-level Abilene Christian, leads Minnesota with 48 total tackles in seven games and the 22-year-old has been instrumental in the U’s defense allowing fewer than 20 points per game this season.

“(Gibbens) makes it really tempting to constantly go into that (transfer) portal to find somebody like him every single year,” Fleck said on his KFAN radio show earlier this month.

Go Gophers!!
Future Sunday player!

I'm guessing teams like UTSA, SDSU and Coastal Carolina (to name a few) have multiple late bloomers and small town underrecruited excellent players. The extra COVID year might allow for some portal recruiting that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

Gibbens has been great. The transfer portal players took a little while to gel....but the defense as a whole looks completely different than they did earlier in the year

A multiple Academic All American. Campbell Trophy finalist. A very good player. That's the type of player you'd want to recruit, at the very least, for culture and leadership. Being one of the better LBs in the BG10 is frosting on the cake.

The transfers have been so good and so important. Gibbens obviously but many others as well on the DLine and of course Trickett

From what I have been reading from various sites ... the transfer portal has a lot to do with some of the parity we are seeing in this college football season.

P5 programs nationally are noticing the success that Jack Gibbens has moving u to the Big Ten with the GOphers.

So will players in D1 programs who want to move up to a more prestigious conference like the Big Ten.

At some point in the future there will be at least a few programs that mostly focus on portal recruiting and don't go that hard for high school guys
Don't know that you will see it go all the way that direction because that puts a ton of pressure on not missing since you get guys with fewer years available. But I could definitely see teams going 50/50 high school and transfers. Wouldn't shock me to see Minnesota be one of those that leans on transfers.

And honestly, with the job Fleck has done so far in bringing in transfers I would be all for it. He has found some really key players through the portal, especially on defense.

At some point in the future there will be at least a few programs that mostly focus on portal recruiting and don't go that hard for high school guys
think of a team that finishes 0-12 or 1-11 and a new coach comes in and wants to win right away. Which way do you think he is going to go? Wait 3-4 years for his guys to pan out (and hopefully stick around!) or load up on the best transfers he can? That one is pretty easy, isn't it!!

Good luck on the hunt PJ! go get them!

think of a team that finishes 0-12 or 1-11 and a new coach comes in and wants to win right away. Which way do you think he is going to go? Wait 3-4 years for his guys to pan out (and hopefully stick around!) or load up on the best transfers he can? That one is pretty easy, isn't it!!
Mel Tucker took 20 transfers and is 7-0

See MSU - they brought in a lot of transfers and it has paid off bigtime for them. I mean super soft schedule also helps but they brought in a lot of transfers and I assume many of them are playing big roles, although I haven't looked into it that deeply.

See MSU - they brought in a lot of transfers and it has paid off bigtime for them. I mean super soft schedule also helps but they brought in a lot of transfers and I assume many of them are playing big roles, although I haven't looked into it that deeply.
Especially Kenneth Walker. He's just a few yards short of 1000

It is just a lot easier to hit on a transfer you like than a high school kid.

Top Bottom