Current recruiting status

A few more drops, none of them surprising but none good.

Dyjuan Lewis, WR, Indianapolis
Darius Millines, WR, Miami
Antonio Ford, DT, Miami
Lorenzo Waters, S, Baltimore

Lewis has apparently narrowed down to Michigan State and Kentucky. Millines is down to Wake Forest and West Virginia (a bit of a shock considering he had offers from Miami, Florida, and Alabama). Ford is also down to Wake Forest and Vanderbilt (good year for the smart schools apparently).

Here's a link for Ford. In it, they mention that Doral Willis was a silent commit to us for a while.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/high...id-not-commit-to-vanderbilt-but-maybe-he-did/

Waters lists a top 4 of Michigan, Miami, Maryland, and Wake Forest.

I also see that Parker Mack has narrowed down but I don't have the rivals sub and can't find the info elsewhere.

Whoops. One more. Not a surprise at all.

Christian Bryant, Cleveland.

Christian has a top 5 of Ohio State, Michigan State, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Illinois. I'd be stunned if he didn't go to OSU.

This may seem like all bad news (and it seems likely that this will be a lower-ranked class), but I can say that outside of a few guys (Olaniyan, James Wright), every guy left on the list is a strong possibility to commit.

dont forget that as the season goes on the JC guys will start coming into play a little more and they will be high 3 stars to 5 star players to help bring the class up a bit. i wouldnt be surprised to see us bring in a few DL players and one or two DBs from the JC ranks. also we might be going after a few prep schools players that we arent aware of yet. this class, in the end, might not be as bad as everyone thinks it will be

dont forget that as the season goes on the JC guys will start coming into play a little more and they will be high 3 stars to 5 star players to help bring the class up a bit. i wouldnt be surprised to see us bring in a few DL players and one or two DBs from the JC ranks. also we might be going after a few prep schools players that we arent aware of yet. this class, in the end, might not be as bad as everyone thinks it will be

is it really that bad

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?sort=0&year=2010&postype=0&Conf=4

I don't quite get this notion that we're going to have a down year either. Things are rolling along quite nicely. Maybe we won't achieve some peoples expectations but I think when the smoke clears this winter it will end up being Brews best ranked class to date. I doubt it will be as impactful as the one that just came in but rankings wise it will stand on it's own nicely.

Do they adjust rankings at all on these sites after the kids actually have a chance to play their senior year of h.s. ball?

Do they adjust rankings at all on these sites after the kids actually have a chance to play their senior year of h.s. ball?

yes they do and i suspect of few of these guys will move up in the rankings

last year at this time we were recruiting a guy named taylor lewan who was a 2 star tackle heading into his senior season........we were one of the only ones offering

by the time he signed with michigan he was a 4 star and wanted by big-time programs all over the country

that is why guys like this mitchell always scare me because when the local schools take notice and come calling......we will find out how good their verbal was

I don't quite get this notion that we're going to have a down year either. Things are rolling along quite nicely. Maybe we won't achieve some peoples expectations but I think when the smoke clears this winter it will end up being Brews best ranked class to date. I doubt it will be as impactful as the one that just came in but rankings wise it will stand on it's own nicely.

I think it's worth noting that I've in fact said that this would be a good class, so any negativity that is being sensed coming from me is misplaced.

That said, there's absolutely no evidence that this will be the highest-ranked class. In fact, unless things change drastically that's almost certain to be impossible.

As for the other comment about JC players, I hope we don't bring many in. It's a quick fix to be certain, but ideally a good program will take no more than 1-2 JC players per year.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. But what i think you overlook is that in the past three years all was not apparent at this stage of the process. If you would have analyzed each of the last three years in the same fashion at this same time I think you'd find yourself quite excited about where we're at.

Brew will finish of the year nabbing a few of the knowns, adding a couple unexpected, and topping off with a couple of Jucos. In the end we're sitting with a decent number of four stars and a plethora of threes. Will it happen this way? IDK, but neither do you. But what I do know is that at this stage of the game in each of the past seasons we're sitting just fine compatatively speaking.

I definitely agree for the most part, although I'm a bit of a draft geek as well. I try not to know the personal lives of the players though. One, because it simply doesn't interest me. Two, because I will eventually have some of these kids in the classroom, and that's a bit awkward if I knew their mother died or what their girlfriend's name is (many students share this information willingly, but that's the point).

In any event, here are a few (realistic) things I'd like to see happen based on my own board.

1) Kirkwood is a great first get, but we need another runningback. We can't assume Lipscomb will ever put on a Gopher uniform, because he probably won't. Of those listed, Andre Dawson is probably the ideal guy. He's a good north-south guy with better fluidity and speed than Kirkwood. Whether he prefers Iowa (where he's from) is unknown to me, but if James White commits to Iowa as expected, that could push him north. Greer would be the likely consolation prize, as we are his only current BCS offer.

2) We could probably get away with just one receiver from this class, which is likely why we've only offered four. Durham and Sconiers both seem likely gets, but Durham may take the more likely playing time at Purdue. No great urgency here in my opinion.

3) Nice to see we are loading up on the lineman. We could probably use at least 2 more. Rozell Gayden seems like a likely JC transfer (was originally a Gopher commit) and of the remaining I'm most intrigued by Josh Allen and Jonathan Ragoo. Ragoo is listed as having a Miami offer, but I find it hard to believe that a Miami kid with a Miami offer would be taking that much time to consider his options.

4) Two defensive lineman should do it for this class. I'm praying that those two are Beau Allen and Okuyemi. Allen is of particular concern now that he has his Notre Dame offer that he's been hoping for. In the long run, he's much better off realizing the extensive playing time he'd get at Minnesota, but I am less optomistic about him.

5) A decent batch of linebackers. 1-2 should be fine.

6) We REALLY need more secondary help. As much as I like the lineman, this should be priority 1,2,3 and 4. I'm hoping that Lamonte Edwards has a future in the defensive backfield (he sure seems like a hitter on tape). On top of the two corner commits we really need about 2-3 more at minimum. Tyrone Bouie should be a huge priority for Brewster (along with cousin Durham). Jabari Price should come and team back up with Michael Carter, and Greg Barksdale should be in line for an offer. It's too bad Inoferio isn't much of a D1 prospect, he certainly seems to have a great attitude.

I agree on the Bouie/Durham take, looks like we have a great shot, hopefully they are a package deal. Could end up seeing them at Purdue if we don't land them.

Top Bottom