Minnesotan Hawkeye suspended

Wow...

Easy to rip the kid, but 18-year olds do stupid stuff from time to time.

This was the best one from the thread on the Iowa board.

Originally posted by HeRKeYHoPeFuL:
Obviously it's a rule violation. How many true freshman do you know that can legally drink?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Oden?

From this morning's Des Moines Register:

"According to the police report, Tucker was discovered in an alley near the Union Bar, 121 E. College St., in Iowa City at 1:10 a.m. Sunday.

The report indicates Tucker was unconscious, yet breathing. He was taken to a hospital."

Not good for the Hawks.

This was the best one from the thread on the Iowa board.

Originally posted by HeRKeYHoPeFuL:
Obviously it's a rule violation. How many true freshman do you know that can legally drink?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Oden?

That would be true freshman with an AARP card.

You would have to imagine he was with a teamate or two. My heart goes out to his parents. Their lives just got turned upside down as well.

Too Bad

This is too bad. At least he is OK and hopefully he has learned from the experience.

You would have to imagine he was with a teamate or two. My heart goes out to his parents. Their lives just got turned upside down as well.

I dunno. I think back to when I was tucker's age. I was legal, and I wasn't on scholarship, but he didn't do anything I and most every other guy I knew didn't do--except maybe be deserted in the alley. I had friends who took care of me, and I wonder where his "friends" were. If he's constantly getting smashed, that's a whole nother issue, but I would hope that a one time learning experience won't distress his parents enough to turn their lives upside down. Sure it was a mistake, and he'll pay a price in terms of the suspension, (and the guilt he'll feel for letting his teammates down,) but if this is the worst thing he ever does in his life he's be a fine upstanding citizen.

I might feel differently if he'd gotten behind the wheel of a car.

I can't say I know many people that almost drank themselves into a coma.

Do you have one this age ?

I dunno. I think back to when I was tucker's age. I was legal, and I wasn't on scholarship, but he didn't do anything I and most every other guy I knew didn't do--except maybe be deserted in the alley. I had friends who took care of me, and I wonder where his "friends" were. If he's constantly getting smashed, that's a whole nother issue, but I would hope that a one time learning experience won't distress his parents enough to turn their lives upside down. Sure it was a mistake, and he'll pay a price in terms of the suspension, (and the guilt he'll feel for letting his teammates down,) but if this is the worst thing he ever does in his life he's be a fine upstanding citizen.

Mistakes I can deal with. Potentially life changing or life ending ones are a different story. Most parents don't really want to know what their kids are doing at college. Hear no evil, see no evil, good to go. But regardless you still think they're safe. Well, until they pass out in the middle of winter in an alley. Child=Star player on a Big Ten team. Suspended indefinitely. Well being is questionable.

Call me overbearing but as a parent if this one is mine I've got some issues I don't or didn't think I would have to deal with.

The big question I have is if he is get really smashed every night. If it was a one time deal, hopefully he has learned and moved on. I understand that this was a serious mistake, but I think most people have had that one day, when you are relatively new to drinking, and you just go overboard. Most people learn from this, learn their tolerance, and learn to be more careful.

At least he wasn't driving, and hopefully he learns. It was only a couple years ago Jamar Smith almost killed one of his Illinois teammates driving drunk, and then was kicked off the team recently for continued issues with drinking. Hopefully Tucker avoids that road.

Do you have one this age ?

Mistakes I can deal with. Potentially life changing or life ending ones are a different story. Most parents don't really want to know what their kids are doing at college. Hear no evil, see no evil, good to go. But regardless you still think they're safe. Well, until they pass out in the middle of winter in an alley. Child=Star player on a Big Ten team. Suspended indefinitely. Well being is questionable.

Call me overbearing but as a parent if this one is mine I've got some issues I don't or didn't think I would have to deal with.

I have a bball playing son precisely that age. Unlike a lot of boys, he communicates with us very well. He's chosen not to drink, and we understand his reasons. He has an older sibling who chose to drink in school, and would tell us about it when it happened. No drinking and driving, no drinking without friends there with you. As parents, we were very grateful that our kids were so forthcoming with us, and grateful that they had an open ear for our thoughts when things came up that really were life changing. We absolutely did want to know what was/is going on at college.

Did you never pass out? (Someplace safe--not an alley.) I just don't see this as potentially life ending--or even significantly changing much. The fact that his friends let him be in an alley is troubling, but I don't know the details--he could have stepped outside for a minute for fresh air, sat down to rest, and was found a minute later. That's not the same as someone who was laying there for half an hour. And of course if this is a routine occurance, that's very troubling. I could be misremembering, but I don't think he was remotely close to drinking himself into a coma. He was under .2%. What's that--six beers? IF Barn doesn't know many people who have drunk that much, then he's had a far different college experience than anyone I know.

I assume from your question you do have one this age. Obviously I know nothing specific about him or you. But if he's in college, and if what I hear from my kids and the others of that age I regualrly talk to is accurate, then he's got about a 90% chance of getting smashed at least once this semester. And at least a 50% chance of getting smashed on multiple occasions. Sorry if that bothers you, but that's life on campus.

I wouldn't say Tucker is the team star. I'd say he's an 18(?) year old freshman who plays basketball. And while athletes get a little more oversight than most other students, they still have lots of opportunity for mischief. ANd for the most part, they're going to do what all the other kids their age are doing.

I have a bball playing son precisely that age. Unlike a lot of boys, he communicates with us very well. He's chosen not to drink, and we understand his reasons. He has an older sibling who chose to drink in school, and would tell us about it when it happened. No drinking and driving, no drinking without friends there with you. As parents, we were very grateful that our kids were so forthcoming with us, and grateful that they had an open ear for our thoughts when things came up that really were life changing. We absolutely did want to know what was/is going on at college.

We're in the same frame of reference. My question whether you had one that age wasn't a challenge, only to see if we were on the same page or not. :)

Ours does communicate with us as well. As a matter of fact we hear more from him now than we did we he was in HS ! Figure that out, lol. We aren't though privy to his extra curricular activities. I certainly do understand how it goes in college.

My deal with this as a parent is that we when send them away to college we assume, or least I do, that we hope we've given them a decent base to make decisions on, situations to stay away from, etc. and pray when they make a mistake or use bad judgement it won't be a life changing or altering moment for them. At least for me and the reason I think his parents most likely got quite a jolt is that yes, he got drunk, no big deal, kids do that at college. I can live with that. But now my security blanket of knowing that if hopefully he has the knowledge to stay from bad situations is gone. My trust in him is lost, I know his friends aren't watching out for him, what else could happen ? I'm sorry the kid was unconscious, in an alley, and the low in Des Moines was 12 degrees that night. I see that as a potential life ending situation.

Speaking from experience, he probably went out there to puke and passed out. Not wanting to be embarrassed I would imagine no one noticed he was gone and probably slipped out the door quietly.

As the leader scorer I would say he's a team star.

Most people I went to school with didn't have much interest in drinking their education or tuition away. And to get to his BAC he would have had to have something like 10 drinks in an hour. http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

And five or more drinks in an hour can lead to alcohol poisoning, which is deadly.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol-poisoning/DS00861

Getting smashed is one thing, ending up unconscious in an alley is entirely different.

Most people I went to school with didn't have much interest in drinking their education or tuition away. And to get to his BAC he would have had to have something like 10 drinks in an hour. http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

And five or more drinks in an hour can lead to alcohol poisoning, which is deadly.

Getting smashed is one thing, ending up unconscious in an alley is entirely different.

You are a real hoot. "Drinking your education or tuition away?" So you think a potentially one-time incident of drinking too much (likely on a weekend!) and passing out means that you are "drinking your education or tuition away?" Look, the alley thing is bad, we all get that. But you are insinuating that nobody you knew drank too much and ended up passing out on ONE occasion. If they did, you would consider that pissing away education and tuition. WOW. I guess there is a lot you haven't experienced. That does not sound like any college experience of which I have ever heard.

But, oh wait, "getting smashed is one thing." Ahhh, I forgot you put that in there. So which is it? Take out the alley, which is just an attendant circumstance, and we are simply talking about getting drunk and passing out. So if on one hand "getting smashed" doesn't really matter (unless in an alley), but on the other if you or any of your friends did it, it would be pissing away your education and tuition? Which is it? Because you are clearly contradicting yourself.

Look, this is obviously a serious issue. Hopefully it does not become a trend and the fact that he ended up in an alley is concerning. But man alive, you must have led a sheltered college life if what you are saying is true. Regardless of what you or your friends did, I can't imagine not even KNOWING somebody who passed out drunk, unless you never left your dorm room.

LOL! Hilarious. I don't even know what to say about this post. If you didn't drink, or hang out with people who drank, then you really don't have the experience to judge this situation with such certainty.

Who said I never drank?
I said I never passed out.

Or anyone you ever interacted with, ever.

The fact that you used an internet calculator tells me that your know-it-all attitude on the subject does not arise from actually "knowing it all." Everyone makes life choices and that is a good thing, but passing judgment when you know so little about a subject seems irresponsible.

I know of people that passed out, of course. I put that there to show that to get to his BAC it was more than a few drinks, contrary to what someone suggested. Sorry if I don't see how passing out because of lack of self control is a badge of honor. I knew my limits and I stuck to them. I also know more than a few people who did stupid thing when they were drunk and got kicked out of school, and others whose grades suffered because of their drinking.

I know of people that passed out, of course. I put that there to show that to get to his BAC it was more than a few drinks, contrary to what someone suggested. Sorry if I don't see how passing out because of lack of self control is a badge of honor. I knew my limits and I stuck to them. I also know more than a few people who did stupid thing when they were drunk and got kicked out of school, and others whose grades suffered because of their drinking.

Nobody said it was a badge of honor. Not sure where you got that.

Now saying that you know more than a few people who did those things directly contradicts your earlier statements.

You mean where I said I didn't know many people who almost drank themselves into a coma?

Do you really want to continue to debate the meaning of "a few"?

And do you want to also debate the meaning of "knowing" vs "knowing of" vs being "friends"?

No. I just want you to quit your elitist attitude re: everything.

Top Bottom