Round 2: Any Of You Who Don't Think The Gophers Will Finish 7-5...

WriterGoph

Reaction score
are probably loving yourselves today.

But it's time to do this all again. I was right last time (Michigan State) and I will be right when it's all said and done (Iowa). I will admit, I didn't think we'd get to 7-5 this way, but sport is obviously unpredictable.

Anyway, clearly the Gophers will beat SDSU this weekend to get to 6-5, so let's not waste time discussing that.

Everyone is chalking up an 'L' at Iowa. Sorry, that's not going to happen. The Hawkeyes haven't exactly been blowing people out of the water. They barely escaped a bad Michigan team and then they had to scurry to beat a worse Indiana squad. Finally, it all came falling down this weekend against a NW team we handled in their own house.

So naysayers, let me lay out the reasons why this will happen:

-- Iowa will be coming off two very demoralizing losses going into this game (do you really think they can beat OSU in The Shoe?).

-- Stanzi will likely be out (he was on crutches yesterday)

-- Iowa is missing a ton of RB's

-- Our team will remember and be motivated by last year's debacle

-- The seniors on this team need a trophy win and know this is their last chance

-- We have lost a couple games that we didn't expect to lose (Wiscy and Illinois) and we are due to finally win one we don't expect to win

-- It's time to finally end a season on a good note (hasn't happened since about 2003)

Anyway, I'm sure you will find some of these reasons more legitimate than others. But the bottom line is that I woke up this morning and this was the feeling I had in my gut...and we all know what happened last time I called a win.

It's going to be a nice ending to a roller coaster season. It's just too bad we have to wait 13 days to see it.

Until then, bring on the negativity, but on the evening of Nov. 21 we know a lot of you will mysteriously absent...just like last week.

I picked us at 6-6 and sticking with it. I had that gut feeling going into PU and it turned into a gut ache.

Sure we have a chance against Iowa. Depends on which version of the 09 Gophers show up. In the meantime, I hope the seniors show up against SDSU.

I hope you're right. At least make it a dogfight - not like last year. Salem, one of our worst coaches, managed to win at Iowa City one year - so it can be done.

Sure lightening could strike me and it could be 95 degrees in Mpls on Nov 21...lots of coulds out there. The G pluses have been there before and all quite logical...the problem for the Gs? Consistent inconsistency. Who is going to show up?

In any case, should the Gs win, the W would carry a "*" asterisk notation for most fans given the wounded Hawks...xRBs, qb, key line injuries etc...not a program defining win. Otoh, most would agree that defeating a full-strength, NC-bound Hawk squad would really give GH/GN something to crow about.

If the Gs lose, no big deal...as expected by most realistic GHers...we start speculating about next year and beyond.

A win at Iowa is a win at Iowa.

We have Decker out and he is way, way more valuable than Stanzi. Even Steven.

A win at Iowa is a win at Iowa.

We have Decker out and he is way, way more valuable than Stanzi. Even Steven.

Lots of ways here...very debatable given what Stanzi has done for the Hawks this year in the W/L stat...and...I greatly admire and respect what Deck has done for the Gs over the course of his career despite serious injuries over the past two seasons.

I'm just saying we have plenty of our own injury issues. There will be no excuses either way.

I'm sure after they slaughtered us last year, they didn't walk away saying, "Oh, well they didn't have Bennett and Decker, so that doesn't mean as much."

I forget - does anyone know who started that thread with all of our season's predictions? If so - could you bump it up? I'd be interested to see my picks (I've forgotten) and everyone else's.

are probably loving yourselves today.

But it's time to do this all again. I was right last time (Michigan State) and I will be right when it's all said and done (Iowa). I will admit, I didn't think we'd get to 7-5 this way, but sport is obviously unpredictable.

Anyway, clearly the Gophers will beat SDSU this weekend to get to 6-5, so let's not waste time discussing that.

Everyone is chalking up an 'L' at Iowa. Sorry, that's not going to happen. The Hawkeyes haven't exactly been blowing people out of the water. They barely escaped a bad Michigan team and then they had to scurry to beat a worse Indiana squad. Finally, it all came falling down this weekend against a NW team we handled in their own house.

So naysayers, let me lay out the reasons why this will happen:

-- Iowa will be coming off two very demoralizing losses going into this game (do you really think they can beat OSU in The Shoe?).

-- Stanzi will likely be out (he was on crutches yesterday)

-- Iowa is missing a ton of RB's

-- Our team will remember and be motivated by last year's debacle

-- The seniors on this team need a trophy win and know this is their last chance

-- We have lost a couple games that we didn't expect to lose (Wiscy and Illinois) and we are due to finally win one we don't expect to win

-- It's time to finally end a season on a good note (hasn't happened since about 2003)

Anyway, I'm sure you will find some of these reasons more legitimate than others. But the bottom line is that I woke up this morning and this was the feeling I had in my gut...and we all know what happened last time I called a win.

It's going to be a nice ending to a roller coaster season. It's just too bad we have to wait 13 days to see it.

Until then, bring on the negativity, but on the evening of Nov. 21 we know a lot of you will mysteriously absent...just like last week.

+1 Our Gophers will be so fired up they will have smoke coming out of their ears. Coach Brew too. They were embarressed last year and will be looking for payback. It will be impossible for the Iowa team to take the Gophers seriously after last year.

Gophers win.

People seem to be forgetting that Iowa still has a dominant defense, so even without Stanzi and their RB's, it'd take a very solid and mistake-free performance by the offense (assuming they struggle sans Stanzi and RB's) to even have a chance at victory.

People seem to be forgetting that Iowa still has a dominant defense, so even without Stanzi and their RB's, it'd take a very solid and mistake-free performance by the offense (assuming they struggle sans Stanzi and RB's) to even have a chance at victory.

Amen...the Hawks could do a PSU# on the Gs and win 7-0 or more on defensive TO scoring (INTs etc) even without Stanzi.

Amen...the Hawks could do a PSU# on the Gs and win 7-0 or more on defensive TO scoring (INTs etc) even without Stanzi.

Iowa coughed it up what, five or six times against Indiana? And that was with Stanzi. So yeah, it will be tough for the Gophers to move the ball. But there's a pretty good chance they'll have some short fields to work with. And Gopher coaches, throw some balls at the DBs this week. See if you can teach them to catch.

In any case, should the Gs win, the W would carry a "*" asterisk notation for most fans given the wounded Hawks...xRBs, qb, key line injuries etc...not a program defining win. Otoh, most would agree that defeating a full-strength, NC-bound Hawk squad would really give GH/GN something to crow about.

I don't see any teams putting an asterisk by their wins when we have injuries. It's part of the game. It doesn't matter if the team you play is at full strength or if they are down to playing the human tackling dummies. Injuries are part of the game.

Reality ck-we just lost to a poor illini team-to guarantee a victory of any degree over any future opponent takes some serious balls of steel. we will be lucky to split and play in the rust belt bowl-would anyone really be surprised if we lost our two final games, really?

I'm just telling you what's going to happen. 12 days.

Top Bottom