PiPress: Richard Pitino: “I never said NCAA tournament or bust”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino won’t talk now about what his goals were before the season on making the NCAA tournament this year, but you can’t blame him for tempering expectations with his team 1-5 in the Big Ten.

Pitino was relieved to see the Gophers (12-7) win their first Big Ten game on Saturday against Rutgers, but there’s still a ways to go to get back on track for any postseason appearance.

“I’ve never set the goal as you have to make the NCAA tournament or bust,” Pitino said before leaving for Tuesday’s game at Nebraska. “I never said that to our team. I never said that to our team last year. I thought we really, really overachieved last year and did a lot of good things. I still think we’re playing good basketball and can get much better.”

“The expectations are set by people,” Pitino said. “I don’t set them. So I’d rather have high expectations rather than low expectations. We know we’re close to being good, but nobody’s feeling sorry for us. We’re not feeling sorry for ourselves, either.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...chard-pitino-never-said-ncaa-tournament-bust/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Gophers coach Richard Pitino won’t talk now about what his goals were before the season on making the NCAA tournament this year, but you can’t blame him for tempering expectations with his team 1-5 in the Big Ten.

Pitino was relieved to see the Gophers (12-7) win their first Big Ten game on Saturday against Rutgers, but there’s still a ways to go to get back on track for any postseason appearance.

“I’ve never set the goal as you have to make the NCAA tournament or bust,” Pitino said before leaving for Tuesday’s game at Nebraska. “I never said that to our team. I never said that to our team last year. I thought we really, really overachieved last year and did a lot of good things. I still think we’re playing good basketball and can get much better.”

“The expectations are set by people,” Pitino said. “I don’t set them. So I’d rather have high expectations rather than low expectations. We know we’re close to being good, but nobody’s feeling sorry for us. We’re not feeling sorry for ourselves, either.”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...chard-pitino-never-said-ncaa-tournament-bust/

Go Gophers!!

I don't think the expectation that your second year (with some more of your own recruits in the system and the old guy's recruits having spent a year in your system) should be better than your first year (with less of your guys and the returning players learning your system for the first time) is an unrealistic one.

I don't think the expectation that your second year (with some more of your own recruits in the system and the old guy's recruits having spent a year in your system) should be better than your first year (with less of your guys and the returning players learning your system for the first time) is an unrealistic one.

Austin Hollins was a gigantic loss

I'd argue that if McNeil were still here we'd be better than last year. People forget that he got 10 MPG as a freshmen last year, when he had 5 guards ahead of him, purely because of his defense. McNeil played 18 minutes against Louisville because he was the only player who could somewhat guard Rozier (also general foul trouble). Anyway, we should put that all on Pitino because he should have seen that McNeil was going to beat his GF during McNeil's recruitment(Sarcasm!). (This is just like saying Tubby should have known White was going to steal peoples computers!)

I'm not saying we would be 6-0 in the BIG ten if he were here. I'm saying we'd be at least 3-3 and setting us up for the NCAA bubble again (min. 2 wins from Purdue, OSU, Iowa and Michigan). McNeil was the only one to not turn it over vs. louisville!

Edit: General punctuation fixes along with this:
Imagine adding a guard to those end of game scenarios who doesn't turn it over much. Half as much as Morris, Hollins or Mathieu(who is actually turning it over less than last year in TO/40min) and just slightly higher than Mason.

I'd argue that if McNeil were still here we'd be better than last year. People forget that he got 10 MPG as a freshmen last year, when he had 5 guards ahead of him, purely because of his defense. McNeil played 18 minutes against Louisville because he was the only player who could somewhat guard Rozier (also general foul trouble). Anyway, we should put that all on Pitino because he should have seen that McNeil was going to beat his GF during McNeil's recruitment(Sarcasm!). (This is just like saying Tubby should have known White was going to steal peoples computers!)

I'm not saying we would be 6-0 in the BIG ten if he were here. I'm saying we'd be at least 3-3 and setting us up for the NCAA bubble again (min. 2 wins from Purdue, OSU, Iowa and Michigan). McNeil was the only one to not turn it over vs. louisville!

Edit: General punctuation fixes along with this:
Imagine adding a guard to those end of game scenarios who doesn't turn it over much. Half as much as Morris, Hollins or Mathieu(who is actually turning it over less than last year in TO/40min) and just slightly higher than Mason.

I really agree that this is a huge set back now and for probably another year. He was one of the lone dependable guys on defense (also I recall solid rebounding strength), and this team is currently in great need of tough plays on that side of the court at the ends of games. I really like what Morris brings to the team, but I often wonder if McNeil would be getting bested on back cuts so routinely.

This team will also struggle without an upper classman that's been in the system for more than a year next year. Pitino still won't have experienced guys that fit his style (sorry Joey), so I expect we lose some more close ones next year before a corner is turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McNeil had a chance to be a solid bench guy (especially for defensive purposes), but there is no way that he alone is worth 2 B10 wins. Plain and simple, if the senior guards were playing and leading a team like seniors should, they aren't sitting at 1-5.

Next year will be no better. Fourth year will be make or break for Little Richard. One positive will be a delay on exorbitant seat license fees increases, ala football..

McNeil had a chance to be a solid bench guy (especially for defensive purposes), but there is no way that he alone is worth 2 B10 wins. Plain and simple, if the senior guards were playing and leading a team like seniors should, they aren't sitting at 1-5.

Is he worth 2 - 5 points a game?

McNeill guards Russell vs OSU more in the first half that probably slows him down enough where the second half surge leads yo a win. He could've also guarded Stephens instead of morris down the stretch. No way those looks areas wife open. No gguarantees but McNeill defense would've helped those games

A guy like Richard with a recruiting and culture change will take a bit longer. I've said it before, 6 years is what I would give him to hit his stride.

Year 1 - No recruiting other than spring and transfers from prior job (small school), solid roster depth wise from prior team but no youth whatsoever

Year 2 - Your first half a$sed recruiting season (recruiting takes longer than 12 months), mix of kids you visited when you were with Florida Atlantic (Morris) and guys you were able to snag in less than 12 months of relationship building. Roster is composed of even less of the prior regime's hold overs, depth is a major concern due to transfer outs and poor recruiting from prior year

Year 3 - Your upper classmen are now comprised of your poor recruiting seasons. More depth than top end talent. Youth is looking brighter, recuring relationships are building based on length and track record on style, not results

Year 4 - Your seniors are now comprised of transfers in and kids you recruited "half as$ed". Depth is developing due to better recruiting, newcomers are higher level. Recruiting is now starting to get based on results. Year 3 and 2 results are weighted heavily in decisions from newcomers.

Year 5 - You're first round fully recruited players are now juniors and playing MAJOR minutes if they weren't before. You're able to sell the style and record much easier, depth should be exactly where you need it to be with a fully replaced roster and only your seniors are of a lower recruiting relationship/talent level

Year 6 - The first set of kids you recruited for a good length of time are now your seniors. It's time to make hay, absolutely no reason you shouldn't have a full roster and the talent level we can expect. Time to put up or shut up. Recruits should be at exactly where you want to be with an occasional out of the park mixed in with an occasional miss or reach.

A guy like Richard with a recruiting and culture change will take a bit longer. I've said it before, 6 years is what I would give him to hit his stride.

Year 1 - No recruiting other than spring and transfers from prior job (small school), solid roster depth wise from prior team but no youth whatsoever

Year 2 - Your first half a$sed recruiting season (recruiting takes longer than 12 months), mix of kids you visited when you were with Florida Atlantic (Morris) and guys you were able to snag in less than 12 months of relationship building. Roster is composed of even less of the prior regime's hold overs, depth is a major concern due to transfer outs and poor recruiting from prior year

Year 3 - Your upper classmen are now comprised of your poor recruiting seasons. More depth than top end talent. Youth is looking brighter, recuring relationships are building based on length and track record on style, not results

Year 4 - Your seniors are now comprised of transfers in and kids you recruited "half as$ed". Depth is developing due to better recruiting, newcomers are higher level. Recruiting is now starting to get based on results. Year 3 and 2 results are weighted heavily in decisions from newcomers.

Year 5 - You're first round fully recruited players are now juniors and playing MAJOR minutes if they weren't before. You're able to sell the style and record much easier, depth should be exactly where you need it to be with a fully replaced roster and only your seniors are of a lower recruiting relationship/talent level

Year 6 - The first set of kids you recruited for a good length of time are now your seniors. It's time to make hay, absolutely no reason you shouldn't have a full roster and the talent level we can expect. Time to put up or shut up. Recruits should be at exactly where you want to be with an occasional out of the park mixed in with an occasional miss or reach.

For clarity, you're saying Year 6 realistically is when Gopher fans should expect a NCAA Tournament appearance? Any time before that is not a reasonable expectation?

For clarity, you're saying Year 6 realistically is when Gopher fans should expect a NCAA Tournament appearance? Any time before that is not a reasonable expectation?

Absolutely not. I'm saying we won't see what Richard's capable of until around 6 years in. If he fails to reach the tournament before then, definitely concerned, highly concerned.

I guess me replying to an NCAA or bust thread with my response would be taken the way you said. I was building off what Les said about year 4, didn't quote him though. Thanks for asking.

Yes him alone is worth 2 BIG wins when we have lost 4 of those 5 games by a combined 13 points. I'd actually argue that adding McNeil(or any player of his caliber or better to this team) alone is worth 3 of those games being wins. The coaching can be much better when you can actually sit a guard that isn't playing well(with only 4 guards while playing 3 Pitino has his hands tied.).

Is he worth 2 - 5 points a game?

His defense is easily worth 2-5 points a game more than morris(5pts off the ball D) and Hollins(2-4pts on ball D). And his poise(playing simple, see pass-make pass, no turnovers) over some of the other players so far would have made up for any offensive deficiencies.

I hope I'm reading this incorrectly because he damn well better be setting expectations with this team. If you don't have a vision set with a stretch goal in place...well that's just not good leadership. I'm guessing he's stating that others have set an expectation of NCAA or bust.

I think it's safe to say that one of this team's expectations after winning the NIT and returning the major chunk of the roster was to advance to the NCAA Tournament. They may not come right out and say that publically, but any reasonable man (or woman) knows the coaches, Hollins, EE, Mo, Mathieu, King, Mason, Morris, Buggs, etc., came into this season expecting to be one of the 68. I sure hope that's the case, anyways.

Gophers can still get there, they'll just have to do it the hard way (win a ton of games down the stretch like Nebraska did last season, or win the BTT).

McNeil was huge. Martin not panning out whatsoever is huge (I thought he would easily contend for the starting PF spot coming into the season, and at the very least, be a solid energy guy off the bench). Hollins shooting 20% for the first 5 games of the B10 is absurd... The optics of a head coach pointing to these things as justification for jarringly bad results is never good, but nevertheless, should be acknowledged.

McNeil also had some desirable personal competitive characteristics, besides the skills. Most important in my view, he would have given the coaches another player that could have "worked" when so many of the others had off games. How many games have at least one of the 1 through 4 players been non existent but yet got signficant playing time. I have no doubt he could have helped the team, trying to quantify it by points is - pointless - but is meaningful when assessing the direction of the team.

The excuse of losing McNeil is tempting (as well as Josh Martin/Diedhou) but it loses some teeth when you look at guys other B1G teams have lost. Illinois lost arguably its best scorer in Rice. Nebraska lost its starting C last spring. Wisconsin lost its starting PG. Michigan just lost its best player. Indiana lost several rotational players to injury and transfer (or academic casualty, I don't remember). Maryland went 6 weeks without its best player/leader. I'm probably forgetting others ... but these are all guys we've actually heard of, and I'll bet most fans of other teams don't even know who Daquan McNeil is.

I hope I'm reading this incorrectly because he damn well better be setting expectations with this team. If you don't have a vision set with a stretch goal in place...well that's just not good leadership. I'm guessing he's stating that others have set an expectation of NCAA or bust.

I'm guessing he's not saying it bc the players know they haven't performed and neither has Richard and coming out and saying that will put even more pressure on the kids and would look like he's throwing them under the bus

BINGO! Richard is referring to the "NCAA or bust" mentality that some fans have. He has always inferred that while the NIT Championship is nice and puts another banner in The Barn, the overall goal is of course, getting to the Big Dance.

Year 2 - Your first half a$sed recruiting season
Year 3 - Your upper classmen are now comprised of your poor recruiting seasons.
Year 4 - Your seniors are now comprised of transfers in and kids you recruited "half as$ed".

When you say "your," are you referring to Richard? Maybe, you mean a collection of people in the same group/occupation.

What's with all the "half as$ed?" Are you referring to Richard being a poor recruiter? Nah, you're probable just lumping all people who are in the same group/occupation.

I've also said, that I don't expect to see an uptick till the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

With this year being the disappointment that it is..... Year 4 will be ncaa tourney or bust....Two more recruiting classes in and we are still below .500 in the B10, then we have to start all over again.

Austin Hollins was a gigantic loss

Indeed he was, but they still should be better than 1-5 in the conference right now with the lone victory coming at home against the preseason consensus last place team.

When you say "your," are you referring to Richard? Maybe, you mean a collection of people in the same group/occupation.

What's with all the "half as$ed?" Are you referring to Richard being a poor recruiter? Nah, you're probable just lumping all people who are in the same group/occupation.

I've also said, that I don't expect to see an uptick till the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.

Your (and my incorrect usage of you're) is a new coach coming into any program making wholesale changes like Richard has had to do.

My "half a$$ed" was how I described the first recruiting class he brought in due to not a lot of time on the recruiting trail. The difference between recruiting a guy for less than 2 years with no significant history in the business and recruiting with tangible on court history to sell is the difference between my self described "half a$$ed" recruits and a recruit you actually had a relationship with and desired.

I don't know if I answered your questions?

Your (and my incorrect usage of you're) is a new coach coming into any program making wholesale changes like Richard has had to do.

My "half a$$ed" was how I described the first recruiting class he brought in due to not a lot of time on the recruiting trail. The difference between recruiting a guy for less than 2 years with no significant history in the business and recruiting with tangible on court history to sell is the difference between my self described "half a$$ed" recruits and a recruit you actually had a relationship with and desired.

I don't know if I answered your questions?

Thanks!

Richard shouldn't get such a free pass for this season. He had a pretty decent team last year that won the NIT. He whiffed on Lofton, whiffed on McNeil, whiffed on Martin and brought two bigs in with Konate and gaston that are total projects. He has a team with four experienced seniors who have under achieved. I expected an NCAA run this year. This has been a huge disappointing big ten season and a lot of that should be on Pitino.

Richard shouldn't get such a free pass for this season. He had a pretty decent team last year that won the NIT. He whiffed on Lofton, whiffed on McNeil, whiffed on Martin and brought two bigs in with Konate and gaston that are total projects. He has a team with four experienced seniors who have under achieved. I expected an NCAA run this year. This has been a huge disappointing big ten season and a lot of that should be on Pitino.

Yep....Does this look like a team getting better physically and mentally? Turnovers...fundamentals....late-game situational moves...Lil Richard is definitely a big part in this dumpster fire of a B10 season.

Making the NCAA tournament is certainly not "high expectations" it's actually a really low bar for a team starting (initially) 5 upperclassmen with a 5th year Senior Center coming off the bench. I give Pitino a lot of credit for what he accomplished last year, but this year absolutely should have been better. The Big Ten is sooooo much weaker than last year, there's zero excuse to not have a better record this season than last. The team has obviously regressed and Pitino should be held accountable for that.

I am not sure where I heard/read the quote, but Pitino stated in the pre season that the team wasn't talking about making the NCAA tournament, but making some noise when they got there. He might never have said NCAA tournament or bust, but it was certainly implied that not making the NCAA tournament would be quite a failure.

That's not to say that Pitino is a bad coach or that his seat should be hot or anything like that, just that he should own that what has gone on this season is a major, major disappointment.

Making the NCAA tournament is certainly not "high expectations" it's actually a really low bar for a team starting (initially) 5 upperclassmen with a 5th year Senior Center coming off the bench. I give Pitino a lot of credit for what he accomplished last year, but this year absolutely should have been better. The Big Ten is sooooo much weaker than last year, there's zero excuse to not have a better record this season than last. The team has obviously regressed and Pitino should be held accountable for that.

I am not sure where I heard/read the quote, but Pitino stated in the pre season that the team wasn't talking about making the NCAA tournament, but making some noise when they got there. He might never have said NCAA tournament or bust, but it was certainly implied that not making the NCAA tournament would be quite a failure.

That's not to say that Pitino is a bad coach or that his seat should be hot or anything like that, just that he should own that what has gone on this season is a major, major disappointment.

Missing the tournament should absolutely be considered a failure and a disappointment by Pitino. If he thinks otherwise, he doesn't deserve this job.

Top Bottom