Gophers host Clemson in Big Ten/ACC Challenge December 2

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Clemson. That sucks.

This thing has run its course. Too many of the same teams year after year.

Maybe Kevin Warren can start one with the PAC 12 or Big 12. Get some different match-ups.

Too much of Florida State and Clemson and ho hum. And, NEVER getting a marquee game.

Notre Dame makes perfect sense and that would have been exciting.

Nothing exciting about Clemson.

They could have sent Clemson to more regional rival Maryland and sent more regional Notre Dame to MN.

But, no they stick the Gophers in what will undoubtedly be an ESPN-U game against freaking Clemson.....

and get this....on the same night the Vikings play Monday Night Football in Seattle.

Last edited:

Clemson. That sucks.

This thing has run its course. Too many of the same teams year after year.

Maybe Kevin Warren can start one with the PAC 12 or Big 12. Get some different match-ups.

Too much of Florida State and Clemson and ho hum. And, NEVER getting a marquee game.

Notre Dame makes perfect sense and that would have been exciting.

Nothing exciting about Clemson.

They could have sent Clemson to more regional rival Maryland and sent more regional Notre Dame to MN.

But, no they stick the Gophers in what will undoubtedly be an ESPN-U game against freaking Clemson.....

and get this....on the same night the Vikings play Monday Night Football in Seattle.

My thoughts exactly. We always get the shaft in this thing.

Clemson is usually decent but how boring. The same teams over and over and over

And nothing against Clemson, really. I'm sure they feel the same, asking "we are going to Minnesota AGAIN??? That sucks."

This will be the 21st Big Ten/ACC Challenge and the Gophers have faced FSU or Clemson in NINE of them.

Minnesota has never faced North Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, North Carolina State, or Notre Dame.

I get it, the Gophers haven't been very good in many of those 21 years, but the few times they had a chance to give us a marquee game, they gave us Clemson, Miami, or Florida State.

Last edited:

And nothing against Clemson, really. I'm sure they feel the same, asking "we are going to Minnesota AGAIN??? That sucks."

This will be the 21st Big Ten/ACC Challenge and the Gophers have faced FSU or Clemson in NINE of them.

Minnesota has never faced North Carolina, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, North Carolina State, or Notre Dame.

I get it, the Gophers haven't been very good in many of those 21 years, but the few times they had a chance to give us a marquee game, they gave us Clemson, Miami, or Florida State.
At the end of the day this is still a business and the matchups that drive ratings will always reign supreme.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm fine with this game, it's been four years, not like FSU whose been the opponent a third of the time. Think all the Clemson games have been at the Barn and they're a better team than PITT or Notre Dame. I'll be there, Vikes will lose anyways

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is only our second game game against Clemson isn’t it?

At the end of the day this is still a business and the matchups that drive ratings will always reign supreme.

Win more and we get the more successful teams, that is how it works.

Marquee B1G teams vs marquee ACC teams, middling B1G vs middling ACC, lowly vs lowly. If the U wants a Duke or UNC they need to win the B1G first to earn that right.

That's weak, IMO. ESPN's national rating for Duke/Wiscsonsin is not going to be very different for Duke/MN. etc. And it's not like we're asking for it every year. But to get 0 in 21 years is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Not necessarily, Indiana always gets Duke, UNC, Cuse or The Ville. They don't win. We won a game in the Tournament last year, but ACC doesn't have the Big Ten's depth. I have no problem with Clemson, they were a bubble team last year once you get passed UVA, Duke, UNC and Louisville, you have a couple decent programs in FSU and maybe VT, will see if they can maintain and Syracuse has gone the way of Nebraska football since switching leagues, incredibly mediocre. Rest of the league, not looking too good, Miami is down, so are Notre Dame and Pitt, BC is not very good, Wake Forest is a joke. I am surprised we never play NC State, they're wildly inconsistent like we are

That's weak, IMO. ESPN's national rating for Duke/Wiscsonsin is not going to be very different for Duke/MN. etc. And it's not like we're asking for it every year. But to get 0 in 21 years is ridiculous.
If Wisconsin plays Duke they will get butt****ed, if Duke's nice they'll put on the lube

They Got 9 of the 14 Pairings Right, Missed on Gophers

Assuming all home and road teams the same, I think they got 9 of the 14 matchups right, including all 7 of the ACC's home games. I think they missed on all of the Big Ten's ancillary home games. Here's how I'd break it down.

They Got It Right, No Complaints
Duke @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ North Carolina
Virginia @ Purdue
Wisconsin @ NC State
Iowa @ Syracuse
Michigan @ Louisville
Rutgers @ Pitt
Nebraska @ Georgia Tech
Northwestern @ Boston College

Incorrect Matchups, Use More Common Sense
Notre Dame @ Maryland (should be FSU @ Maryland. ... 1st matchup, both 2019 NCAA squads, both projected upper-tier)

Miami @ Illinois (should be Clemson @ Illinois. ... haven't paired up since 2009, both projected 5-7ish)

Clemson @ Gophers (should be Notre Dame @ Gophers. ... 1st matchup, both projected 8-11ish, both in Midwest)

Wake Forest @ Penn State (should be Miami @ Penn State. ... 1st matchup, both projected 6-11ish, potential sleepers)

Florida State @ Indiana (should be Wake Forest @ Indiana. ... haven't paired up since 2008, both expected to be bottom 3rd)

Last edited:

Yes, that's very poor, and obviously indicates that the Gophers have been an afterthought for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

Assuming all home and road teams the same, I think they got 9 of the 14 matchups right, including all 7 of the ACC's home games. I think they missed on all of the Big Ten's ancillary home games. Here's how I'd break it down.

They Got It Right, No Complaints
Duke @ Michigan State
Ohio State @ North Carolina
Virginia @ Purdue
Wisconsin @ NC State
Iowa @ Syracuse
Michigan @ Louisville
Rutgers @ Pitt
Nebraska @ Georgia Tech
Northwestern @ Boston College

Incorrect Matchups, Use More Common Sense
Notre Dame @ Maryland (should be FSU @ Maryland. ... 1st matchup, both 2019 NCAA squads, both projected upper-tier)

Miami @ Illinois (should be Clemson @ Illinois. ... haven't paired up since 2009, both projected 5-7ish)

Clemson @ Gophers (should be Notre Dame @ Gophers. ... 1st matchup, both projected 8-11ish, both in Midwest)

Wake Forest @ Penn State (should be Miami @ Penn State. ... 1st matchup, both projected 6-11ish, potential sleepers)

Florida State @ Indiana (should be Wake Forest @ Indiana. ... haven't paired up since 2008, both expected to be bottom 3rd)
Sounds we got a better opponent than we deserve. Good opportunity to show what we can do.

Sounds we got a better opponent than we deserve. Good opportunity to show what we can do.

I agree with you, though I'd rather see Gophers play someone new and with more cache (Notre Dame). I think Illinois got the short end of the stick. Illini really should be playing Clemson or Florida State.

And just how did we do last year? Win more to get a better matchup (or lose more just to get a different matchup).

Not true at all. Had all 5 starters coming back in 17-18 after a 24 win season and a top 15 preseason ranking heading into that season. Still drew FSU (who at that time wasn't considered a "marquee" matchup). Minnesota doesn't yet resonate as a national brand. Indiana, on the other hand, is considered a national brand which is why they can be mediocre from year to year and still draw top tier matchups.

Not true at all. Had all 5 starters coming back in 17-18 after a 24 win season and a top 15 preseason ranking heading into that season. Still drew FSU (who at that time wasn't considered a "marquee" matchup). Minnesota doesn't yet resonate as a national brand. Indiana, on the other hand, is considered a national brand which is why they can be mediocre from year to year and still draw top tier matchups.

We drew Miami that year. They might not be a blue blood, but were a top 15 team in the preseason.

Syracuse has gone the way of Nebraska football since switching leagues, incredibly mediocre.

I wouldn't say they are "incredibly mediocre." In the six years that they've been in the ACC, they've made the tournament four times while winning their first game in three of those. They lost in the national semifinals in one of those trips and the sweet sixteen in another. "Incredibly mediocre" is a closer description to the Gophers' record over the last six years.

I wouldn't say they are "incredibly mediocre." In the six years that they've been in the ACC, they've made the tournament four times while winning their first game in three of those. They lost in the national semifinals in one of those trips and the sweet sixteen in another. "Incredibly mediocre" is a closer description to the Gophers' record over the last six years.
That final a little miss leading, kudos for the March run, but that run started in Dayton as a result of that mediocre regular season

Not necessarily, Indiana always gets Duke, UNC, Cuse or The Ville. They don't win. We won a game in the Tournament last year, but ACC doesn't have the Big Ten's depth. I have no problem with Clemson, they were a bubble team last year once you get passed UVA, Duke, UNC and Louisville, you have a couple decent programs in FSU and maybe VT, will see if they can maintain and Syracuse has gone the way of Nebraska football since switching leagues, incredibly mediocre. Rest of the league, not looking too good, Miami is down, so are Notre Dame and Pitt, BC is not very good, Wake Forest is a joke. I am surprised we never play NC State, they're wildly inconsistent like we are

Just pull the conference records for the last 5 years and you will see who everyone is. Syracuse just went to the final 4 in the past 5 years and blows us away with their conference record. The bottom of the Big 10 sucks, look at those bottom 5 records. Syracuse is a incredibly successful program, hell just last year they knocked out Michigan State. Whether we like it or not Indiana is a big stage program, we are not. Winning for a decade would not only help with reality but it would change perception. We have been really bad for a long time.

That final a little miss leading, kudos for the March run, but that run started in Dayton as a result of that mediocre regular season

I see Syracuse going the way of UConn when Boeheim retires if they can't get Hopkins to come back.

Marquee B1G teams vs marquee ACC teams, middling B1G vs middling ACC, lowly vs lowly. If the U wants a Duke or UNC they need to win the B1G first to earn that right.

This, it's funny to see people complain about not getting the marquee teams. Get better and you will get the those teams.

Just pull the conference records for the last 5 years and you will see who everyone is. Syracuse just went to the final 4 in the past 5 years and blows us away with their conference record. The bottom of the Big 10 sucks, look at those bottom 5 records. Syracuse is a incredibly successful program, hell just last year they knocked out Michigan State. Whether we like it or not Indiana is a big stage program, we are not. Winning for a decade would not only help with reality but it would change perception. We have been really bad for a long time.
I didn't compare Cuse to us what so ever, they're not the elite program they were in the Big East, I don't know what your definition of mediocre is, but they've been pretty pedestrian in the ACC. That Final four team was also in the first four and most pundits agreed they were gifted a spot that season. Kudos for getting hot in March, but this isn't your grandparents Orange squad

This, it's funny to see people complain about not getting the marquee teams. Get better and you will get the those teams.

My main complaint is the repetition of the match-ups. The Gophers will now have hosted Clemson in 3 of the past 8 home Challenge games. Virginia (before they were marquee) has been here twice in those last 8 home games. So, 5 of the past 8 home games have been Clemson and Virginia, while Florida State was here once (while we played at FSU 3 times in the same period). Miami was another home game, and we also played at Miami in that time frame.

We haven't played Notre Dame, Syracuse, North Carolina State, Pitt, or Georgia Tech in that same time frame. It'd be nice to get someone new on the home schedule. Notre Dame would have been nice this year, in my opinion, and created way better interest than Clemson AGAIN.

As for lack of marquee games - as I mentioned we haven't been good enough to get them. But, the few times we have, they didn't get us one of the biggies. They got us Miami or FSU (good, but not marquee). Louisville or Duke was a legit 2017 option, but nope.

There are scheduling requirements and balance, etc., I understand, as certain teams have to play home and certain have to play away in certain years.

I would love the Big Ten to switch it up and do something like this with the PAC 12. By default, that would get some fresh teams on the schedule.

Last edited:

We drew Miami that year. They might not be a blue blood, but were a top 15 team in the preseason.

My thoughts exactly. I also don't get why people want to play ND? They have been worse than us in the last 5 years lol.

My thoughts exactly. I also don't get why people want to play ND? They have been worse than us in the last 5 years lol.

I'm sorry, where were our two Elite Eight appearances the last five years?

They would have been way better two years ago, but injuries crippled them (as with us). They stunk last year, no doubt.

And, simply, there's a little cache to playing Notre Dame, no what matter the sport. Especially when you haven't played them since 1971 in basketball, and not since 1969 at Williams Arena.

Last edited:

I would love the Big Ten to switch it up and do something like this with the PAC 12. By default, that would get some fresh teams on the schedule.

PAC12 would be SOS and Quad killer. No thanks.

Top Bottom