All Things Tre Jones Recruitment Thread

Did Washington play head to head against Tre this summer? Is there a big difference in talent between the two?

Tre is better by a significant distance (bigger, better defender, rebounder, passer, better floor awareness, etc.). The Pro-Am game is vastly different than Division 1 basketball. Washington is suited for one and Tre the other. That being said, I agree that Washington is/can be very good and we are lucky to have him.

According to Tre's tweat, he isn't making a decision until Sunday so there's still time to lay the ol' "why would you want to go to the best buckets program in the country and play in the NBA the following year when you could play for the U and then Grandpa Sports can get you a job at General Mills when you are done?" schtick. But perhaps I'm nitpicking his choice of words.

Tre is better by a significant distance (bigger, better defender, rebounder, passer, better floor awareness, etc.). The Pro-Am game is vastly different than Division 1 basketball. Washington is suited for one and Tre the other. That being said, I agree that Washington is/can be very good and we are lucky to have him.

Especially the B1G. It's almost fair to say that Tre fits B1G bball more so than ACC bball wirh his strength and defense and needing to improve his shooting. In my eyes, jelly is more of a old Big East/ACC pg who's smaller but lightning quick.

According to Tre's tweat, he isn't making a decision until Sunday so there's still time to lay the ol' "why would you want to go to the best buckets program in the country and play in the NBA the following year when you could play for the U and then Grandpa Sports can get you a job at General Mills when you are done?" schtick. But perhaps I'm nitpicking his choice of words.

I think Tre is going to Duke and I don't think tweeting at him will help our chances, but Minnesota would be a logical choice for him too. Let's not act like it would be a bad career choice for him to come here.

I think Tre is going to Duke and I don't think tweeting at him will help our chances, but Minnesota would be a logical choice for him too. Let's not act like it would be a bad career choice for him to come here.

You missed it dude.

You missed it dude.

I haven't heard anyone use Sid, or the Job after graduation angle since about 2004. The fact is he is going to Duke. Another fact is that there were some compelling reasons as to why he may stay home. Family, friends, PG usage/freedom, Coach K nearly done, etc. He's a great kid and we should wish him well, but we don't need to sarcastically take shots at the hometown fans/program.

There is nothing to the stay home success anyway. Most guys that made fortunes did it far away from home and even more champions have been forged away from home. Pull the rosters of all that teams that have won it all or even won conference championships had teams of guys from everywhere. The reason Pitino hit the state hard is because for now there are a fair share of wonderful players, not because they are from the state. That will not be true every class.

I never really saw Tre create his own shot in the pro am, despite displaying good overall play. I'd say Washington has an edge in regards to creativity with the ball and having an ability to create a clean shot for himself. Coincidentally, one of our biggest weaknesses last year was creating a shot at the end of game situation. Tre might be a more polished player, but I think IW will be a critical late game player by the time he is an upper classman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tre is really extraordinary, perhaps the best point in his class. However Washington may bring 4 years to a program.

One of the more irritating aspects of this is that it appears Duke strong-armed its way to short circuiting Tre's recruiting process, the timing of which *was* one factor in our advantage. (Our class was almost filled and we could wait as long as we needed to; if we filled would've simply taken Tre and created another one; whereas Duke has zero commits and really wanted to get their PG on board to start the class... as time went on, might have started looking harder at Garland; and as time went on and hype of our upcoming season built, local angle may have become more prominent pull for Tre). If it's true Duke gave him an "ultimatum" as others are reporting.

Sh***y Duke tactics prevented him from even using his officials to give us a final shot. I realize we were always behind the 8 ball, but the Tre situation and present context is much different than when Tyus was deciding, and the fact that he apparently had an official scheduled here (which Tyus never did) further supports the idea that we *had* a fighting shot to make our case.

But yeah, for anyone on here getting their hopes up, everyone with actual sources is saying it's done and it'll be Duke, and the fact that the Gophers have recently been ramping up their recruitment of other players seems to confirm that.

Tre is really extraordinary, perhaps the best point in his class. However Washington may bring 4 years to a program.

I totally agree, but it wasn't an either/or choice. They could have played together for a year or two, like Peyton Siva and Russ Smith in Louisville. Add upperclassmen Coffey and Murphy (assuming they stay), both of whom will be stars by that point, McBrayer as a senior and Curry as a jr, and assuming you get competence in the post from the Oturu/Stockman combo ... that's a legit final four roster.

Oh well. Regardless of Tre the future still looks very, very bright.

People don't seem to realize that you can play two point guards at the same time in college.

But it appears to be a moot point because all signs point to Duke.

Time to shift our focus to Hurt and Suggs, two bonafide superstars in their own right. Really remarkable the talent this state has produced in the last 4-5 years.

Dont you think if we had the ability to force a decision in our favor we would
last year we gave at least 1 local recruit sign or we are signing someone else ultimatums. We just dont have the tr ack record to force yet.There is nothing unethical or wrong with doing this. Its a competition for recruits.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tre has had everyday to say yes to the Gophers. The staff has done all they could, selling every single high point. I must be the only one who thinks the Gophers are still in it. Just like he has not said yes to Duke, whom he loved the longest he has not said no to the Gophers.

I never really saw Tre create his own shot in the pro am, despite displaying good overall play. I'd say Washington has an edge in regards to creativity with the ball and having an ability to create a clean shot for himself. Coincidentally, one of our biggest weaknesses last year was creating a shot at the end of game situation. Tre might be a more polished player, but I think IW will be a critical late game player by the time he is an upper classman.

It's really hard to judge from a summer league game, but that's what makes message boards fun. They are both fine players who play the game differently. If I had to choose one of them to get himself or one of his teammates the right look at the end of the game, it would be Tre.

He hasn't made the decision yet. Duke is forcing him to make the decision to hit their timeline. That doesn't mean he will choose them. It just means he wants to make the decision while all options are open.

Is it really just Duke and Minnesota?

If he commits to Minnesota, I'll donate to Gopher Mens hoops. Will post my receipt on here for all to see!

Have to hand it to the Jones family. They have done a great job of keeping this under wraps and so far it isn't a circus. Good for them.

Obviously it would be incredible if he chooses the U, but even if he doesn't, I think the early decision is beneficial to the staff. They can then fully pursue other recruits w/out having to worry about keeping a spot open for Tre.

Out of curiosity...where did you find this info?
from duke basketball message board recently posted--Could be good news or could be someone messing around:

"There was a video from him on twitter a little bit ago. It was his announcement. Now it's been taken down. In this video he stated he's staying home to play for University of Minnesota."

Have to hand it to the Jones family. They have done a great job of keeping this under wraps and so far it isn't a circus. Good for them.

It's not under wraps for anyone with a subscription to any paid site.

I hate his decision but do respect him for not having a press conference locally to announce it (at least, I haven't heard there's going to be one; assume it'll just be a twitter announcement).

from duke basketball message board recently posted--Could be good news or could be someone messing around:

"There was a video from him on twitter a little bit ago. It was his announcement. Now it's been taken down. In this video he stated he's staying home to play for University of Minnesota."
then a follow up from another Duke poster:
I believe I saw the video as well, but from the few seconds that I witnessed it did not look like Tre. I am not positive but it did look like Minnesota commit Jarvis Thomas. I could be wrong though.

I saw some stuff about the video supposedly saying he is going to Minnesota. There is another video that he posted on his twitter featuring Tre that doesn't reveal any information, but says "it's not about today, it's about tomorrow."

Maybe he posted the first video by mistake, meaning to post the second video??

I get why players do it but the whole process of the buildup to the announcement is so obnoxious. Everyone in the world seems convinced he is going to Duke so if that is the case why not just come out and say it now, why do we need multiple days of buildup to get information that is not a secret to anyone that follows this stuff at all? I get the whole "look at me" culture but if there is no surprise coming in the announcement then there is zero reason to delay it just make it and get it over with.

That said I am sure he will probably do the hat thing just to try and make it linger a little longer.

then a follow up from another Duke poster:
I believe I saw the video as well, but from the few seconds that I witnessed it did not look like Tre. I am not positive but it did look like Minnesota commit Jarvis Thomas. I could be wrong though.
More from the Duke message board, getting more interesting:
I'm not sure either (the video) it was from Tre to Tyus Jones.
And
Was it the one in this link? Because this is the one Jarvis did.
And
No. It was definitely Tre. Would suck not to land Tre.
And
I'm not sure if it was an oops or a joke. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't joke about something like that.

Top Bottom