Row the Boat Trademark

Gophers13

Reaction score
Is there any news on when the U will fully assume rights to the trademark? I need some elite RTB shirts ASAP!!!

I assume this will be a more "shared" arrangement between PJ, WMU, the U as far as who gets a cut or something like that.

No rush at this point I don't think.

According to Darren Rovell, Minnesota is paying Western Michigan $50K for the rights to "Row The Boat" to go to Minnesota and PJ Fleck

According to Darren Rovell, Minnesota is paying Western Michigan $50K for the rights to "Row The Boat" to go to Minnesota and PJ Fleck

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Surprised it isn't costing us more. Thought WMU would try to grab as much as they could

Surprised it isn't costing us more. Thought WMU would try to grab as much as they could

Possibilities:

- WMU is good people and not gonna fight PJ over a slogan that came from the death of his kid.

- WMU knows that the same fight would be a PR disaster anyway.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wonder if PJ will be getting a cut of any RTB language on apparel?

If I'm the U and he demands that (which I don't know if he did or not)I simply wouldn't put it on the apparel.

Wonder if PJ will be getting a cut of any RTB language on apparel?

If I'm the U and he demands that (which I don't know if he did or not)I simply wouldn't put it on the apparel.
Hayden Fry copyrighted what was called the TigerHawk, which was the new Hawk logo (and the current one) that he helped to develop in 1979 with a border around the logo. He marketed the TigerHawk for profit and took a lot of heat for doing so until he stopped shortly thereafter.
Times have changed, but profiting off of Row The Boat would likely undermine it's use as a mantra if it's perceived that he's doing it for the money.

Hayden Fry copyrighted what was called the TigerHawk, which was the new Hawk logo (and the current one) that he helped to develop in 1979 with a border around the logo. He marketed the TigerHawk for profit and took a lot of heat for doing so until he stopped shortly thereafter.
Times have changed, but profiting off of Row The Boat would likely undermine it's use as a mantra if it's perceived that he's doing it for the money.

I believe Barry Alvarez also gets a cut on everything that has Wisky's motion W on it. It was still the block W when he came to the school.

Statement from Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck on his acquisition of Row The Boat

“Today is an elite day, as I have acquired Row The Boat from Western Michigan. Row The Boat is extremely personal for me. It’s a way of life that centers around a never give up mentality. It helped change a culture at Western Michigan and enabled the entire community of Kalamazoo to rally around something bigger than football. I am confident that it will do the same here at the University of Minnesota, in the Twin Cities and the entire state.

“I am grateful that an agreement has been reached on Row The Boat, which again, is extremely personal for me. Part of this agreement calls for me to pay Western Michigan $50,000, which I am happy to do. That money will then be used to endow a scholarship at Western Michigan, which I hope will be used to help a walk-on player accomplish his dreams. Kalamazoo is a special place for me and my family and always will be. I was honored to coach Western Michigan for four historic seasons and was privileged to lead a group of young men to many accomplishments.”

-Gopher Football-

Go Gophers!!

Just because he came up with it doesn't mean it's his intellectual property. I'ts like if you invent something as part of your work, it's your employers intellectual property. If it was his intellectual property, he wouldn't have had to negotiate with WMU for the rights.

It wouldn't surprise me if we saw more games scheduled with WMU - not just football, but across all sports.

Top Bottom