Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Head Coach Tracy Claeys - 11/27/16

DL65

Reaction score
Saturday’s meltdown against the Wisconsin Badgers, 31-17, in the second half at Madison was discussed on today’s Sports Huddle with head coach Tracy Claeys. All four losses this year – Penn State, Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin – were decided in the second half/fourth quarter.

1) The first question, Sid asked how tough the loss was on Tracy Claeys:

“It’s tough on all of us,” Claeys said. He added, “Hard to win on the road . . . We battled hard . . . (Wisconsin) finished better than we.”

After the Badgers kicked their field goal to start the second half, the Gophers drove down the field; however, the interception in the end zone by Musso was a killer. Claeys said, again, "it’s hard to win on the road" and you can’t afford any turnovers . . . "interception “got the crowd excited.”

2) Sid asked about the Gophers four losses that occurred in the second half, especially in the fourth quarter:

Claeys replied, “Off-season we’ll look at that . . . once we get done, after the bowl game.”

3) Sid mentioned the success the Gophers had in rushing in the first half and then nothing in the second half:

Claeys was terse in his response: “They’re very good defensively . . . points are going to be hard to come by (on the road) . . . offensively they didn’t turn the ball over . . . They played all four quarters.”

Claeys said the turnovers by the Gophers were pivotal in the Gophers defeat. Claeys said, “We competed for four quarters” but the miscues were costly and a team can’t commit turnovers when you’re on the road playing a top 10 team that’s a divisional champ.

4) The topic of interceptions thrown by Mitch Leidner was raised by Sid:

Although Claeys cited the interceptions, he quickly added, “We had three or four balls dropped . . . kids competed hard . . . first loss that didn’t come down to last possession." And once again Claeys mentioned how hard it is “to go on the road,” especially when you “play a top ten team.”

5) Sid brought up the interception by Badger defensive back Musso in the end zone. Sid opined it was the turning point in the game:

Claeys was once again terse in his response to Sid’s comment, “Turned the ball over and got the crowd excited.”

6) Sid asked if he knew who the Gophers opponent will be in their bowl game:

“I really don’t . . . would be good to go someplace we haven’t been to (since Jerry Kill’s arrival).” He said they’ll know a lot more about their bowl game after the conference championships have been played.

7) Dave Mona’s asked a two-part question, which was also the final question. Dave wanted to know about bowl game preparations and on-road recruiting and future quarterbacks:

Claeys answered the last question first. “(Quarterbacks) we want to go to dual-threat quarterback.” He said they want a quarterback that can run and throw. He proceeded to talk positively about the team’s redshirt quarterbacks – Mark Williams, Seth Green and Demry Croft. As far as this year’s recruiting class, Claeys said, “We’ll sign a quarterback or two . . . the ability to throw the ball” and beat the defense with his feet.

The next two weeks are extremely important with on-road recruiting – they’ll then enter the prohibited period in meeting with recruits until after the bowl games have been completed. Claeys then talked about the importance of having 15 practice days in bowl game preparations. “Three practices for the young guys,” Claeys said.

Claeys said finals will influence the practice schedules for the Gophers upcoming bowl game.

Go Gophers!!

Sid asked him about the repeated breakdowns in the second half in each of their losses. TC said that is something they will look into during the off season. Thats reassuring isn't it?

Sid asked him about the repeated breakdowns in the second half in each of their losses. TC said that is something they will look into during the off season. Thats reassuring isn't it?

Yeah you'd think you would want to correct it now.

didn't listen to it and just read the recap, but if that's the vibe given off, yuck. so very uninspiring. also of note, they did turn the ball over on offense and gift wrapped us a chance to stop the bleeding and retake control (fumble when they were driving again) and we didn't.

As others have said, it's just so...boring? To listen to Claeys. Never has any fire, no inspiration. Just...nothing.

The answer to #3 seems odd. The question was about our inability to run the ball in the second half but the answer seems to have nothing to do with that.

Also not really sure he can honestly say we competed for 4 quarters. There did not seem to be much fight left in the team in the 4th quarter. But I guess I didn't watch all the way up to the end because once the Badgers got up two TDs with the offense playing the way it was we turned the game off and went out for diner.

As others have said, it's just so...boring? To listen to Claeys. Never has any fire, no inspiration. Just...nothing.

In his defense he had to be pretty gutted today coming off that loss yesterday. That said in general you are correct that Claeys is very dry to listen to most of the time and he brings very little excitement to things. Most head coaches have that ability to get people fired up and I am honestly not sure that Claeys has that gene.

Thanks DL for taking the time to recap for those (like me) unable to listen to the report live. Had to have been a little tough today after a tough defeat yesterday.

It was much the same tone with the post-game radio interview with Gaard. Claeys basically just kept saying "we played hard" and "can't turn the ball over."

One thing I noted - Kill used to come out after losses and say it was the coaching staff's fault. He would rarely point the finger at players. Claeys in his comments after the game and on Sid's show seemed to be laying some of the blame on Leidner. Claeys was also rather pointed in talking about how he wants a real "dual-threat" QB - implying that Leidner didn't fit the mold they are looking for. So, if Leidner wasn't the right QB for the system - then play a different QB or adjust the system to account for Leidner's strengths and weaknesses. It's like the coaches don't have any control over who plays and how they play.

thx dl65. i realize it could be coach speak, but are the 4th quartet collapses not urgent enough to address mid-season? that's an alarming comment

It was much the same tone with the post-game radio interview with Gaard. Claeys basically just kept saying "we played hard" and "can't turn the ball over."

One thing I noted - Kill used to come out after losses and say it was the coaching staff's fault. He would rarely point the finger at players. Claeys in his comments after the game and on Sid's show seemed to be laying some of the blame on Leidner. Claeys was also rather pointed in talking about how he wants a real "dual-threat" QB - implying that Leidner didn't fit the mold they are looking for. So, if Leidner wasn't the right QB for the system - then play a different QB or adjust the system to account for Leidner's strengths and weaknesses. It's like the coaches don't have any control over who plays and how they play.

Like others have pointed out, Claeys looks almost completely disengaged from what's happening during the games. Headset off, flat affect. He has alluded that he feels like he needs to let the coaches coach but it all feels a bit off. For those at the games is he talking to or motivating players? Talking to coaches?

As he has several times in his career Mitch was emotionally done by about 3-4 minutes into the fourth quarter. He knew he was melting down on national television and that seems to feed on itself during the Wisconsin games. Historically he gets worse as the games go on vs Wisky. We couldn't protect him. He was making atrocious decision after atrocious decision. As a coach you have to pull that player, both to protect them from themselves and to give your team a shot. Sometimes teams need a spark.

Like others have pointed out, Claeys looks almost completely disengaged from what's happening during the games. Headset off, flat affect. He has alluded that he feels like he needs to let the coaches coach but it all feels a bit off. For those at the games is he talking to or motivating players? Talking to coaches?

As he has several times in his career Mitch was emotionally done by about 3-4 minutes into the fourth quarter. He knew he was melting down on national television and that seems to feed on itself during the Wisconsin games. Historically he gets worse as the games go on vs Wisky. We couldn't protect him. He was making atrocious decision after atrocious decision. As a coach you have to pull that player, both to protect them from themselves and to give your team a shot. Sometimes teams need a spark.

Accept your only option is Rhoda, an even less mobile option then Mitch. I agree that in most situations you would want to pull a QB having a meltdown like that but when the backup option is not good it makes that decision even tougher.

Writing on the wall is Croft is not the guy. Can he scramble? Not throw it up for grabs? Immediate upgrade vs meltdown-mode Mitch. You don't keep a pitcher in that just got shelled for five home runs.

What should he have said?

Writing on the wall is Croft is not the guy. Can he scramble? Not throw it up for grabs? Immediate upgrade vs meltdown-mode Mitch. You don't keep a pitcher in that just got shelled for five home runs.

Yeah, I think it's pretty clear Croft isn't the guy at this point. That seemed pretty evident after the Rhoda situation.

Gopher fans need to accept two things about our current coach: first, that he is a smart schematic guy, not a fiery inspirational guy. And second, that he is never going to be Jerry Kill redux.

Thanks you, DL, for the report!

Gopher fans need to accept two things about our current coach: first, that he is a smart schematic guy, not a fiery inspirational guy. And second, that he is never going to be Jerry Kill redux.

Thanks you, DL, for the report!

His clock management begs to differ.

thx dl65. i realize it could be coach speak, but are the 4th quartet collapses not urgent enough to address mid-season? that's an alarming comment

How do you address that? In reality.

Do you say, ok, now lets practice not throwing INTs?

It's all coachspeak.

He doesn't want to pull the redshirt on Croft and lose an entire year. Rhoda could have been put in, but he has been notified that his future is not an Minnesota. Its Leidner in the Bowl.

He doesn't want to pull the redshirt on Croft and lose an entire year. Rhoda could have been put in, but he has been notified that his future is not an Minnesota. Its Leidner in the Bowl.

I can see the argument for trying to ride Leidner but we've seen that movie before. He didnt have a great game. And, if you play Croft you burn a second year for a probably futile attempt to protect/come back on the road. So it's tough. But then you've got to try and win the game. I think even Rhoda for a series may have been warranted.

so, what yer saying is Leidner wil not be in the bowl game.

I want Coach Claeys to give us something in the talk shows. It is like talking and listening to a brick wall. He has no savoir faire.

If he consistently wins and does not blow leads in the fourth quarter, then I wouldn't care so much. At least Coach Kill would say it is on the coaches or something like that, and he'll correct the mistakes in practice right away while the errors are still fresh on the players minds.

It is quite a contrast watching Chryst and Claeys on the sidelines. Chryst was very engaged and animated while Claeys just stands there like a stick on the mud most of the time.

It really deflates the urgency after a big lose when he says stuff like "we are going to look at the loses after the bowl game". Don't you want to nail it in the immediate practices that follow? Dah.

Great observation! What Claeys needs to say is that we goofed around and turnovers have no impact on the outcome of a game. He is not throwing anyone under the bus. He is simply stating the obvious. He not stating that Mitch was not a dual threat quarterback, he is just stating what his style of offense must look like and the kind of quarterbacks they hopefully have in redshirted freshmen and the kinds of quarterbacks they will continue to recruit.

Dual Threat QB is french for he can not throw, and he can run a little. Unless Rickey Foggie is coming in next year, we are going to have the same lame passing game. More and more teams are abandoning the dual threat for pro set QBs. We are a little like LSU, no QB for how many years now?

Dual Threat QB is french for he can not throw, and he can run a little. Unless Rickey Foggie is coming in next year, we are going to have the same lame passing game. More and more teams are abandoning the dual threat for pro set QBs. <b>We are a little like LSU, </b>no QB for how many years now?

Very little like LSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the argument for trying to ride Leidner but we've seen that movie before. He didnt have a great game. And, if you play Croft you burn a second year for a probably futile attempt to protect/come back on the road. So it's tough. But then you've got to try and win the game. <b> I think even Rhoda for a series may have been warranted.</b>

I have to agree. Never thought I would see a situation at this point where it was warranted to bring Rhoda in, but ML7 in the 2nd half was indeed that situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thought the same thing-- should have looked at the first time it happened

Top Bottom