All Things Tre' Williams Recruit Thread - UPDATED: Tre Williams Signs With Gophers!

Curious about your thoughts on Jeter as a player development guy. Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As unbiased as i can be i think he is pretty strong in that area. It is born in the fundamental drill work. I went to a Bob Knight coaching clinic and he spent 20 minutes on catching the ball, pivoting without traveling, how to pass it and catch it over and over and challenged them to catch and pass 20 in a row without a mistake or a violation. Then they moved to 5 spot shooting drills, how to use the glass inside, then 25 minutes on how to set picks, screens and rolls. Jeter was mentored as both a player and a coach that way under Ryan. I see things we flash defensively that come from that. The tell is will are guys get low and wide continually , all game which is grueling hard work and a test of conditioning and tougness. I am seeing more of that. I see things in Gabe where he is coming along against better competition and doing more that can come from Rob.

As unbiased as i can be i think he is pretty strong in that area. It is born in the fundamental drill work. I went to a Bob Knight coaching clinic and he spent 20 minutes on catching the ball, pivoting without traveling, how to pass it and catch it over and over and challenged them to catch and pass 20 in a row without a mistake or a violation. Then they moved to 5 spot shooting drills, how to use the glass inside, then 25 minutes on how to set picks, screens and rolls. Jeter was mentored as both a player and a coach that way under Ryan. I see things we flash defensively that come from that. The tell is will are guys get low and wide continually , all game which is grueling hard work and a test of conditioning and tougness. I am seeing more of that. I see things in Gabe where he is coming along against better competition and doing more that can come from Rob.

So true about defensive positioning, low and wide. It's telling watching sound defensive teams the court appears to shrink because their players are square to the ball, wide base and arms extended.

Q&A with Tre, per Marcus:

Q: What do you think about the Gophers turning things around so far this season?

A: If feel like we’re proving a lot of people wrong. Nobody expected us to be this good. I’m excited. I can’t wait to be a part of it. I love getting in transition and doing a lot of pick-and-roll action they are doing right now.

Q: How well do you know point guard Jalen Suggs from Minnehaha Academy?

A: That’s my cousin. We’re family. Growing up, I used to go out to Minnesota every single summer since I was 8 years old. My mom had family out there. And I would stay with Jalen’s family, hang out and work out with them. I’ve known them forever. He came to Dallas and played on my team for AAU nationals. So I’ve known him for awhile. My mom and his dad grew up together from middle school. They’ve been close ever since, so we’re pretty much family. We call each other cousins. Blood couldn’t make us any closer.

Q: Wouldn’t it be cool for you guys to play together with the Gophers?

A: No doubt. I’ve been in his ear non-stop. If me and him team up at Minnesota, then it could be big time. He’s just so versatile. He can track more than one defender on every play, which opens up a lot on the court. He can spread the court. He can shoot the ball, get to the rim and he’s athletic. I just feel like at the point, being 6-4, 6-5 being able to get around a defender, it just opens up the court. He’s a good passer as well, so him and I together would be a good duo. I haven’t been back to Minnesota since I came on my visit. But I saw him last summer in Vegas at the Fab 48 and we hung out a bit.

Q: How much have you grown physically and mentally since you came to prep school?

A: I think I’ve put on an inch (legit 6-5) and about 10-15 pounds (190-195). We’re lifting three or four days a week. I’ve gotten stronger. Shoulders are bigger. I’m more confident going into the rim. Can jump a little higher. I feel like my all-around physical (tools) and leadership has grown.

Q: Gophers coach Richard Pitino talked about your athleticism standing out. Are there other parts of your game that are underrated you think?

A: This summer and last year were the first time people were saying I was just an athlete or they were surprised by my athleticism. All my life I’ve been a scorer and been able to shoot. I had a little slump last summer, but I came back out to Utah and got a lot of shots up. I probably get 200-300 shots up in practice and more on my own. I’ve grown confident in myself, rotation is better on my shot and I worked on my left hand a lot. I can drive both ways now. I was more of a dominant right player, but I can go both ways and it helps a lot.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...year-for-nationally-ranked-hs-team/505085472/

Go Gophers!!

will having him on the roster certainly wont hurt our chances with getting suggs!

Interesting. Didnt know about the ties between Tre and Jalen. Yes, cant hurt.

Does bring up an interesting thought. If we knew that Hurt and Suggs were both commiting tomorrow and one of them was picking us, whom would we prefer? Think I would take Suggs as would hopefully open the floodgates for the 2020 loaded Minnesota class.

Pitino seemed very excited when discussing Williams at the pregame talk tonight. About him, Carr and Willis actually.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looks like a solid high school guard with good athleticism, has a quick release. A stronger McBrayer.

Looks like a solid high school guard with good athleticism, has a quick release. A stronger McBrayer.

Better shooting form than McBrayer. It's cool that he has defensive highlights, a couple steals in there.

Better shooting form than McBrayer. It's cool that he has defensive highlights, a couple steals in there.

Other highlights I have seen show him effortlessly scoring with his left hand. A very solid addition to the team next year; seems to have a lot of potential. Is he primarily a PG?

Other highlights I have seen show him effortlessly scoring with his left hand. A very solid addition to the team next year; seems to have a lot of potential. Is he primarily a PG?

SG or SF I believe.

SG or SF I believe.

he is a SG who may be able to play spot minutes at SF....anything more than spot minutes at the SF spot for him means we did not do a very good job of finding a replacement for Coffey

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Am guessing everyone stayed awake during Tre's home visit.

I was half expecting a note that he filed for a released after seeing Pitino got an extension given the feel of recent posts around here.

I was half expecting a note that he filed for a released after seeing Pitino got an extension given the feel of recent posts around here.

I just heard on KFAN that he actually hates Pitino and is only coming here so he can try to get him fired personally.

STrib: Gophers signed Tre' Williams early, now looking to add late to 2019 class

Gophers recruit Tre’ Williams fell just a couple wins short of a national championship with his senior season ending earlier this month after losing to Oak Hill Academy at Geico Nationals in New York City.

The next step for Williams on the hardwood will be with the University of Minnesota after he graduates from Wasatch Academy in Utah before arriving for summer school in early June.

The four-star guard is ready to join now, though, if he could.

“I feel like the whole season was a success," Williams said. "I led my team to nationals. I matured and became a better leader. I took my game to another level with more confidence. This is what I’ve been preparing for being out a Wasatch.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-looking-to-add-late-to-2019-class/508606512/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Anyone notice Tre Williams ranking plummeted with the last 247 ranking released on 4/30 from 109 to 164?

What would’ve changed since February in their ranking?

Top Bottom