Gophers Offense

Gophs24

Reaction score
Just watching this team I always figured they were not real great on offense. But when you look up the stats it gets real depressing!

43.9% FG Percentage ranks 219 in the nation
65.9% FT Percentage ranks 287 in the nation
31.7% 3P percentage ranks 278 in the nation

clearly we miss a ton of wide open shots. but it doesn't help us any that Pitino doesn't seem to be any good at coming up with any offensive sets.

The biggest thing for me is how bad we look when teams hit us with a zone. It's happened often enough, you would think we would have implemented an answer by now.

We can play better against a zone, no doubt, but it really is an achilies heal for us with our bad shooting. It's a wonder teams don't play it against us more. Probably because when Murphy is high motor, he would get 20 rebounds against it. But an athletic team like Maryland doesn't need to worry about that.

Oturu will be like Fernando is a couple of years with 30 lbs of muscle. This Maryland team reminds me of old Ohio St teams. Athletic team that can shoot, guards that penetrate dish or score. Probably a top 25 team if they keep improving.

The biggest thing for me is how bad we look when teams hit us with a zone. It's happened often enough, you would think we would have implemented an answer by now.

Washington- slasher McBrayer - slasher Coffey- slasher Murphy - likes to drive from the high post Oturo- has to get the ball low

Kalscheur is the only real pure jump shooter in the bunch. Considering the talents of our players- I have no idea why anyone plays man to man against us- as we are basically a dribble drive team. Murphy gets hurt badly by the zone.

I have seen Pitino set some one up at the free throw line and attack the post from there with the pass and that has worked- but he didn't do that last night much.

Seemed to me that when we challenged the zone inside, we were successful more often than not. But we seemed very reluctant to even try to get inside against it.

JTG

Our bad 3-point shooting was already covered in another thread. It’s a myth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our approach to attacking a zone always seems like we're confused. Why? We should certainly be practicing against it. Running the weave against a zone? We just get tired while the defense just stands there. We should be surprised if anyone ever plays us man-to-man.

And is there any reason why we can't get the damn ball inbounds from the baseline? Besides the fact the guys just waltz through the lane with no picks?

Washington- slasher McBrayer - slasher Coffey- slasher Murphy - likes to drive from the high post Oturo- has to get the ball low

Kalscheur is the only real pure jump shooter in the bunch. Considering the talents of our players- I have no idea why anyone plays man to man against us- as we are basically a dribble drive team. Murphy gets hurt badly by the zone.

I have seen Pitino set some one up at the free throw line and attack the post from there with the pass and that has worked- but he didn't do that last night much.

I said in another thread that the turning point for me was when Gabe was hit with the phantom foul #2. Took a hot shooter, our real threat, out of the game midways through the first half.

I said in another thread that the turning point for me was when Gabe was hit with the phantom foul #2. Took a hot shooter, our real threat, out of the game midways through the first half.
It's not like Gabe is so critical to the total game plan that keeping him in there would have been awful (re: picking up a third). I thought GK should have been back in much sooner.

Seemed to me that when we challenged the zone inside, we were successful more often than not. But we seemed very reluctant to even try to get inside against it.

JTG

Gee, ya think that might work, who'd a thunk, not exactly revolutionairy, pathetic coaching.

It's not like Gabe is so critical to the total game plan that keeping him in there would have been awful (re: picking up a third). I thought GK should have been back in much sooner.

I think if we had fallen behind earlier in the game we may have seen him more but the Gophers still had a 6 point lead at half.

How is it possible that a Division I basketball team has only one standout jump shooter? My neice's high school team has more than that.

How is it possible that a Division I basketball team has only one standout jump shooter? My neice's high school team has more than that.
What we have is a pitbull basketball team. Only one or two conventional shooters.
It's like watching toys from the island of misfit toys play basketball. They get it done, but it ain't pretty.

Top Bottom