BIG 10/ACC Challenge Who do the Gophs get? What are the Battle for Atlantis brackets?

SD GOPH!

Reaction score
This is my first post. I have been a long time reader.

I think Maryland.

Louisville
UNI

Memphis
Minnesota

Missouri
VCU

Duke
Stanford

These are my guesses.

I'm not so positive that there will be a BT/ACC Challenge. Now that we have the new deal with the Pac 12, that could replace the ACC Challenge. I'm not sure how quickly that deal with the P12 goes into effect, but once it does I can't see the ACC Challenge continuing.

Go Gophers!!

To be fair, Delaney has said that the B1G-ACC challenge will not be affected by the new collaboration with the Pac 12. Now, he might be playing coy but I think it will be here for at least a few more years (maybe until Syracuse and Pitt join in 2014?)

It's all about the Benjamins. If ESPN or someone else will pay $$$ for national TV broadcast, the schools will continue to play the games.

I'm not so positive that there will be a BT/ACC Challenge. Now that we have the new deal with the Pac 12, that could replace the ACC Challenge. I'm not sure how quickly that deal with the P12 goes into effect, but once it does I can't see the ACC Challenge continuing.

Go Gophers!!

There will definitely be a Big Ten/ACC Challenge in the near term. Delaney is on record saying the contract between the Big Ten and ACC runs at least another five years.

Welcome SD Goph! Don't be afraid to post more often.

I would love for the challenge to rotate every year between the six big conferences.

I would also love to play Duke in the Atlantis championship and beat the s**t out of them.

So the Big Ten/ACC challenge and Big Ten/Pac-12 agreement and Battle 4 Atlants and Maui next year?!?! The schedule is looking good for the next couple years.

Check back in September.

And no, Pac12 and Maui are not next year.

I believe we have the return game at USC this next year, and assuming the ACC Challenge is still happening we'll likely play on the road there...throw in three neutral games in the Bahamas and we could have 4/5 road/neutral games against schools from the big six conferences.

Go Gophers!!

mattw1067 said:
If not Maui, aren't we in a quality tournament next year? Or am I making stuff up?

Next year is Atlantis in the Bahamas, the following year is Maui.

I would love to see Tubby get another non-conference W over Louisville. That tournament is going to be pretty epic.

I believe we have the return game at USC this next year, and assuming the ACC Challenge is still happening we'll likely play on the road there...throw in three neutral games in the Bahamas and we could have 4/5 road/neutral games against schools from the big six conferences.

Go Gophers!!

I remember reading that the USC game was NOT a Home-Home. Not positive, though.

I would love to see Tubby get another non-conference W over Louisville. That tournament is going to be pretty epic.

And maybe a little revenge on Stanford?

What a tough tournament that will be. Definitely an early opportunity to see what we're made of. I haven't really looked into what the other 7 teams will look like next year, but from a program standpoint, it's interesting to note that we're probably (currently) the 6th or 7th best program out of 8. What a difference from the Old Spice Classic.

I'm not sure how quickly that deal with the P12 goes into effect, but once it does I can't see the ACC Challenge continuing.

It doesn't take affect until 2017 or so for football. They intended to increase the other sports more quickly, but nothing official has been announced for basketball. I wouldn't expect it to happen next year but who knows?

Battle 4 Atlantis has strongest field

The Battle 4 Atlantis far and away has the best field among the prominent exempt tournaments. It kicks a*s even on the Maui Invitational, which by its standards has a relatively weak field in 2012. ... Butler, Chaminade, Illinois, Marquette, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Texas, and USC.

I think TJ said it about a month or so ago, and I think he's right. With the Gophers playing in a stacked exempt tournament in 2012 along with road games at two BCS schools (USC & the ACC Challenge), sadly that likely means we're going to get a crappola nonconference home schedule at The Barn. Season-ticket holders will be fortunate if we get one notable (read: Power 6 school, or non-BCS along the likes of BYU, Butler, Creighton, Gonzaga, Temple, VCU, Xavier, etc.) non-B1G home opponent next season.

Hope that's not the case, as I'd think there'd be an honest effort made to reward season-ticket holders (old and new alike) with the advent of the new preferred seating plan.

That field is pretty tough...I could see us losing 2 games, and I don't think it would even reflect badly on the Gophers. That tournament is stacked.

Might as well take a guess at it.
BIG/ACC challenge @ Florida St.
Atlantis Quarters
Louisville vs. Northern Iowa
Mizzou vs. Memphis
Minnesota vs. VCU
Duke vs. Stanford

Per ESPN's preseason Top 25 it the Bahamas preseason tournament includes 5 of the 8 and Stanford is considered and Minnesota is mentioned by Katz:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...7401/indiana-hoosiers-continue-moving-2012-13

Also I would love to see if we could have a good following to this tournament, It would be real cool to see a huge force a gopher fans at a tournament. I usually go to there preseason tournament and travel through Creative Charters. Looks like he is running a trip next year too:

http://www.creativecharter.com/

Next year is Atlantis in the Bahamas, the following year is Maui.

Eh, that's what I meant. I already consider next year "this year" and the following year "next year".

Top Bottom