Gopher Volleyball 2018

If you don’t have P12N, you can try a 7day free trial of fubo TV, which includes the channel and has DVR. It’s a similar thing to Sling, YouTube TV, etc. I’m planning to do that and then cancel after the weekend.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...o-1-in-tough-weekend-test-out-west/492610691/

“We have lots of players that can contribute in lots of ways, which has been real positive,” said McCutcheon, who has given playing time to 15 of the team’s 18 players in the first five matches. “There is a lot of refinement that has to happen. But some of the foundational pieces are already pretty solid, which is a nice place to start.

“The serve-and-pass part of the game seems to be pretty steady, and there are some things we can do that we weren’t able to do a year ago. We’re not firing on all cylinders yet, but I think there’s some good stuff happening.”

Some of the early bright spots for the Gophers include team defense and the play of redshirt sophomore Regan Pittman. The Gophers are ranked second in the nation with 3.41 blocks per set and have outblocked opponents 54.5-26.

McCutcheon said Pittman, the Gophers’ tallest player at 6-5, “is starting to become a force at the net.” She hit .524 with 24 kills and 11 blocks in last weekend’s Diet Coke Classic and was named the event’s most valuable player.

Game tonight is on the Pac-12 Oregon channel. That's not the main channel, rather an additional channel. If you do go with the 7day free trial on fubo TV, you can just select the sports add-on package to get the extra Pac-12 channels. That will let you watch and/or DVR the game tonight. Cancel after the weekend, as no more Gopher games are on Pac-12 channels.

Game tonight is on the Pac-12 Oregon channel. That's not the main channel, rather an additional channel. If you do go with the 7day free trial on fubo TV, you can just select the sports add-on package to get the extra Pac-12 channels. That will let you watch and/or DVR the game tonight. Cancel after the weekend, as no more Gopher games are on Pac-12 channels.

Being an electronic airhead, once I find Pac-12 Oregon, how do I find the "additional channel?" And what is fuboTV? Any explanation would be appreciated.

Easy as pie - thanks
https://www.fubo.tv

Being an electronic airhead, once I find Pac-12 Oregon, how do I find the "additional channel?" And what is fuboTV? Any explanation would be appreciated.

The main channel is just the PAC-12 Network. There are six additional channels, each called PAC-12 [region] Network (the regions are e.g. Oregon, Bay Area, etc.). So it's 7 cable channels, in total.

fubuTV is an online TV provider, similar to Sling, DirecTV Now, YouTube TV, etc. It has a 7 day free trial, so if you sign up right now for example, and cancel early next week, you don't owe any payment. The main channel package on fubo includes just the main PAC-12 Network channel, but you can select the Sports Add-on package, and that gives you all the additional PAC-12 channels. And it doesn't cost you any extra ... it's zero cost during the trial.

Oregon match - PAC-12 Oregon, tonight at 7pm
Stanford match - PAC-12, Sunday at 2pm

Rough 1st set, surprised to only lose by 2. Ducks are killing the Gophers with tips and roll shots. Clean that up and they should be good, but that seemed to be a weakness last year also.

Wisconsin went down 2-1 at Baylor.

Alexis Hart really seems to be on, though. She's so good!

Dropped second set 25-23 with Oregon coming from behind. Let's see what this squad is made of here.

Despite the hype about the Gophers team I suspect they're overrated. I hope I'm wrong.

Despite the hype about the Gophers team I suspect they're overrated. I hope I'm wrong.
Right now, they're vastly overrated. Over the past year-plus, this cast has consistently wilted against truly good competition and tonight was more of the same. I suspect they'll get thoroughly smoked by Stanford tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

I think the #1 rank for these Gophers was silly. They are definitely going to get swept by Stanford. We just don't have the length to compete with the top teams. Also not the biggest fan of Seleger-Swenson.

A well deserved loss. The kryptonite for Hugh’s teams are the roll/ tip shots just over the blockers.
It appeared they had addressed this earlier, but against a high level opponent it was the same old same old. Lots of miscommunication. They really folded in the second set with a huge lead. Pittman had a chance to close out the set and hits a tip instead of bringing the hammer. It could get ugly with Stanford.

We were due for a loss. It hurts nothing. And look at how close the scores were. Playing on the road is always tough. I think we'll give Stanford a good game.

I think the #1 rank for these Gophers was silly. They are definitely going to get swept by Stanford. We just don't have the length to compete with the top teams. Also not the biggest fan of Seleger-Swenson.

Even as a VB novice, I see the Gophers haven't recruited enough for height. It seems hard to beat many top 20 teams without a very tall group of leapers to defend the net aggressively.

Even as a VB novice, I see the Gophers haven't recruited enough for height. It seems hard to beat many top 20 teams without a very tall group of leapers to defend the net aggressively.
As of now, they simply don't have enough to beat really good competition. Whether that means it's a physical or psychological thing at this point, I'm not sure. It's probably a little of both. Regardless, they haven't shown they have what it takes to be truly elite over the past year or so.

As of now, they simply don't have enough to beat really good competition. Whether that means it's a physical or psychological thing at this point, I'm not sure. It's probably a little of both. Regardless, they haven't shown they have what it takes to be truly elite over the past year or so.

Gotta wonder if it's the coaching, honestly. I originally suggested that we don't have the length to compete, but curious if Hugh McCutcheon just doesn't have the ability to coach at this level, which I'm suggesting at this lower level of amateur women's college volleyball level. On one hand, he's proven to be able to coach adults at the highest level to gold and silver medals at the Olympics, on the other, he isn't showing the ability to translate that excellence for Women's collegiate volleyball. He's an extremely well adjusted, cool, calm collected guy, but I mean, perhaps that's not what gets the job done at the college level. Everything he's accomplished with squads that were not completely comprised of his recruiting classes is nothing new for Minnesota. Minnesota has been to final fours, done all these things before Hugh arrived. We needed him to win final fours and national titles. Every other coach, like John Cook over there at Nebraska seems to be able to tap in the next level of emotion to truly get everything out of their teams to win. In 2016, when we lost in the final four, the attitude was even keel and the same in defeat. I didn't understand that. In a game that thrives on emotion, Hugh McCutcheon seems to teach and coach people to be robotic.

tl;dr: McCutcheon is a robot, better suited coach for post-collegiate players.

https://onwardstate.com/2018/09/08/penn-state-womens-volleyball-sweeps-oregon/

Penn State swept the Ducks. The B1G home opener will be intense.

No. 5 Penn State women’s volleyball swept No. 18 Oregon 3-0 (25-23, 25-23, 25-19) Saturday afternoon at Maples Pavilion in Stanford, CA.

Freshman middle blocker Kaitlyn Hord set a new career high with 16 kills against the Ducks, who upset No. 1 Minnesota Friday night.

How It Happened
Hord was ranked as the No. 3 overall prospect in the 2018 recruiting class, and it’s easy to see why the 6-foot-4 freshman was so highly touted. She’s already earned a starting spot in Russ Rose’s lineup, joining classmates Jonni Parker and Serena Gray, who combined for 10 kills in the victory.

Hord’s .556 hitting percentage was far and away the best mark of the match for either team. Redshirt senior setter Bryanna Weiskircher has been a big reason for Penn State’s success in the early going of this season. She finished with a season-high 37 assists, nine digs, four blocks, and a kill.

Senior outside hitters Nia Reed and Taylor Leath provided some additional offense for the Nittany Lions, recording nine and seven kills, respectively. Junior libero Kendall White has been outstanding the past few matches, and she again led the way defensively with a match-high 18 digs.

One thing posters here failed to mention: the Gophers had to fly from MSP all the way to the bay area on FRIDAY MORNING. And on commercial flight. That's what you get for being the #1 ranked team in the country.

So that's a little tough to then have to play that afternoon. Flying dehydrates you. Takes energy out of you, even though you're just sitting there. That had a non-zero affect on the game, I guarantee it. Excuses, I know.

One thing posters here failed to mention: the Gophers had to fly from MSP all the way to the bay area on FRIDAY MORNING. And on commercial flight. That's what you get for being the #1 ranked team in the country.

So that's a little tough to then have to play that afternoon. Flying dehydrates you. Takes energy out of you, even though you're just sitting there. That had a non-zero affect on the game, I guarantee it. Excuses, I know.
Looks like they flew out Thursday night which isn't unusual at all. Hope they bounce back against Stanford today.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

In a case of being completely predictable, the ladies lost to Stanford in four. Had a chance to send it to a fifth, but collapsed (again) late in a set. Led 22-18 and lost it 25-23 to close out the match.

Any Final Four talk needs to be totally tabled. This team is nowhere near good enough for such discussion. Not sure they are even a top-15 team at the moment.

Rollins looked good; leading the Gophers with 16 kills on 28 attempts with no errors. As MRJ points out Minnesota gave up some untimely scoring runs. Plummer was the most annoying Stanford villan especially in the first set. Plummer played some perfectly placed, casual looking back row kills fueling a Cardinal comeback at set end. The third set was the only ugly effort, 17-25. The other three were the standard two point differential.

Hart had her moments while still wearing a soft cast. Samedy was obviously a focus for the Stanford D but needs to step up in these matches.

The PAC 12 network broadcast was solid. (HD on line even though it's standard definition on cable).

I'm not tabling the final four talk.

In a case of being completely predictable, the ladies lost to Stanford in four. Had a chance to send it to a fifth, but collapsed (again) late in a set. Led 22-18 and lost it 25-23 to close out the match.

Any Final Four talk needs to be totally tabled. This team is nowhere near good enough for such discussion. Not sure they are even a top-15 team at the moment.

To Daize & MRJ: I don't know nearly enough about VB to comment on the Gophers' coaching skills or technical abilities, but since I started watching VB & the Gophers 4 years ago it seems the other teams have improved vastly, so they are equal to, or better than, the Gophers. MN has created a fan base that expects BiG and National championships, but the recruits they are bringing in are not good enough for that, IMO, or at least there are not enough of them for that. They are very good players, but not elite or world class talent, with 2 or 3 exceptions. I suspect the Gophers are being out-recruited, not out-coached.

Season is just starting. Lets give it some time for this team to come together.

Seems to be kind of a tough crowd here at gopherhole lol
That's what happens when you get a lot of media love, have a bunch of highly rated national level recruits and openly talk about how cool it would be to make a Final Four in your backyard.

They haven't turned the necessary corner, not even close. Faded badly down the stretch last year and haven't improved from there so far this season.

Of course it's early and they still could get there. But they have shown a lot of the same problems they had last year. I would love to be wrong. And if they can discover the magic formula, I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong.

But based on the end of last year and what I'm seeing early this year, they're not on that level. At least not yet.

Looks like they flew out Thursday night which isn't unusual at all. Hope they bounce back against Stanford today.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Swear it was Friday! I was wrong!! Thank you

Nonetheless, it was a non-zero factor for he Gophers over the whole weekend.

Wayyyy overly harsh. No sir, not on board with you sandbagging the team that hard.

Stanford a legit top 5 (at least, if not better). Gophs pushed them, could’ve easily gone to 5. Set 3 was bad but the rest were very close.

Oregon could easily be a top 10 team, should be top 15 for sure. Lost all 3 sets by 2pts.

And it was across the country road trip in a hostile crowd. That’s a non-zero factor.

To Daize & MRJ: I don't know nearly enough about VB to comment on the Gophers' coaching skills or technical abilities, but since I started watching VB & the Gophers 4 years ago it seems the other teams have improved vastly, so they are equal to, or better than, the Gophers. MN has created a fan base that expects BiG and National championships, but the recruits they are bringing in are not good enough for that, IMO, or at least there are not enough of them for that. They are very good players, but not elite or world class talent, with 2 or 3 exceptions. I suspect the Gophers are being out-recruited, not out-coached.

Don’t agree with that take.

Rollins was best high school player in Texas. Samedy all-American from Florida. Hart all-American from KC.

We can and are getting final four level talent.

Wayyyy overly harsh. No sir, not on board with you sandbagging the team that hard.

Stanford a legit top 5 (at least, if not better). Gophs pushed them, could’ve easily gone to 5. Set 3 was bad but the rest were very close.

Oregon could easily be a top 10 team, should be top 15 for sure. Lost all 3 sets by 2pts.

And it was across the country road trip in a hostile crowd. That’s a non-zero factor.
If I really had to break it down, I'm most concerned about focus. They struggled with it against North Carolina and had more than a few come from ahead set losses this weekend. For me, that's the most worrying thing.

Top Bottom