Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

This is a name you can't make up...Shocky Jacques-Louis

<iframe class="twofourseven-embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameborder="0" width="600" height="200" src="http://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Shocky-Jacques-Louis-at-Dunbar-192035/Embed"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/Shared/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Too bad it isn't a profile shot.

745_b.jpg

Here's the list as it stands, sorted by 247 comp score (highest to lowest).

Current Commits:
Benny Sapp III

In-State Recruits:
Trey Lance
David Alston
Brevyn Span-Ford
Phoenix Sproles
Charlie Dennis
Josh Aune
Jackson Crawford
Ronnie Audette
JT Awosika
Mitchell Kartes
Bryce Kennedy

Out-State Recruits:
Donald Johnson
Greg Newsome
Dashon Bussell
Michael Furtney
Jalen Mayfield
Devin Haney
Carlos Vettorello
John Schmidt
Samson Evans
Zach Ross
Anthony Torres
Dwayne Thompson
Henry Geil
Lawrence Johnson
Isaiah Westfall
Jack McNeil
Jayshon Johnson
Sean Bowles
Josh De St. Jean

After going through this list, I now realize some of the player rankings have updated since they were originally posted, so some are out of order. 31 total visitors so far. I'll keep you posted if I see any added.

So no 4* guys to this camp? Hopefully show up at camp #2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the best collection of talent (on paper) to ever come to Minnesota for a visit/camp.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the best collection of talent (on paper) to ever come to Minnesota for a visit/camp.

Holtz had a number one recruiting class coming here before he quit and most followed to ND...

Boy- that's pretty damning. Almost entirely 2* and low to low mid 3*.

Boy- that's pretty damning. Almost entirely 2* and low to low mid 3*.

Newsome is a 3 star with offers from BC, Arkansas, Iowa, Iowa State, NW and others
Bussell is a 3 star with an Iowa offer
Furtney is a 3 star with Wisconsin, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Cinci offer
Mayfield is a 3 star with Iowa and Mich St offers
Haney is a 2 star (3 via composite)
Schmidt is not rated (3 star via composite) and has camped with us before
Vettorello is not rated (3 star via composite) and has Iowa and Iowa State offers
Evans is a 3 star and has Iowa and and Illinois offers
Ross is a 2 star (3 via composite) with an Iowa State offer
Torres is a 3 star with an Indiana offer
Thompson is not rated but appears to be making the camp rounds (visits mich st next)
Geil is a composite 3 star (no 247 rating) with Iowa and Iowa State offers
Johnson is a composite 3 star (no 247 rating)
Westfall has no ratings
McNeil has no ratings
Jackson is a composite 3 star (no 247)
Boles is not rated
St Jean is a 2 star via 247
Donald Johnson is a 247 4 star rated as the number 212 prospect (composite high 3 star and top 500 kid) with Iowa and Cinci offers

So on the out of state kids (we're going to let pretty much any instate kid camp regardless and many from neighboring states), we have via 247 rankings 1 4 star, 10 3 stars, 3 2 stars, and 6 guys not rated with 10 of them holding power 5 offers already.

The reason it looks rough is that there is minimal in state talent this year (3 guys with power 5 offers out of 12). I would say overall it looks pretty decent so far. Hopefully will manage to impress some people and land Donald Johnson and maybe 1 or 2 from in state. Have to imagine Sapp will be working them.

Mustve missed the 2 4*s. I dont think we had a four star last class. Keep your narrative up though.

Don't see any composite 4*- if there are I missed them so please point them out. Nevertheless I think u misunderstood my "narrative" as I was stating that it was damning about the program's history if our best camp was comprised of 2* to low-mid 3*. Earlier stated that I hoped the 2nd camp hopefully had higher ranked campers attending. But that's okay- get down with your smug and critical self.

Don't see any composite 4*- if there are I missed them so please point them out. Nevertheless I think u misunderstood my "narrative" as I was stating that it was damning about the program's history if our best camp was comprised of 2* to low-mid 3*. Earlier stated that I hoped the 2nd camp hopefully had higher ranked campers attending. But that's okay- get down with your smug and critical self.

It's also very early in the ratings and many of them will change significantly as they are rated and re-rated.

Besides how many 4* out of state recruits have camped with us in the past? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the camps were always the best way to identify more fringe/instate talent. Many of these guys don't have Gopher offers yet. Just because a 4* doesn't camp with us doesn't mean we won't be in on several, and get them to visit later.

per Joe:

Fleck has preached the importance of recruiting Minnesota and a “six- to eight-hour radius around the Twin Cities” since his arrival Jan. 6.

This week, in a session with Star Tribune reporters, Fleck made it clear his stance hasn’t changed.

“We have a huge junior day coming up this weekend, and there will be an enormous amount of Minnesota high school athletes here,” Fleck said. “I think you might see more [offers to Minnesota players] after this weekend.”

Meanwhile, Fleck has been targeting players from recruiting hotbeds such as Florida, Texas, Ohio and Georgia, along with Missouri, Illinois and other states. Fleck hasn’t shied away from top prospects, even when they have offers from some of the biggest programs in the country. Alabama, Florida State and other schools can only sign so many players, so Fleck wants to be there early for players who might be looking to go elsewhere later in the recruiting cycle.

Some highlights among the 134 (and counting) offers:

• Fleck has offered five-star prospect BJ Foster of Angleton, Texas, a 6-1 safety ranked as the 11th-best high school player in the country. Foster is expected to sign with Texas. The Gophers have never signed a five-star recruit in the modern star-ranking era (since 2000).

• Westerville, Ohio, running back Jaelen Gill, 247sports’ 30th best overall player, has an offer from Fleck, among his 28 possibilities so far.

• Two of the nation’s top offensive tackles — Richard Gouraige (fourth-highest OT) of Tampa, Fla., and Ryan Hayes (13th) of Traverse City, Mich. — have Minnesota in their proverbial piles.

• Kimberly, Wis., defensive end Boyd Dietzen — the best prospect in Wisconsin — visited Minnesota in February and has the Gophers on his list, according to 247sports.

Fleck isn’t the only coach who’s made 125-plus offers. Wisconsin’s Paul Chryst has made 128 offers for next year’s class, Maryland’s J.D. Durkin 160 and Michigan’s Jim Harbaugh 172.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-flec...arship-offers-outside-of-minnesota/414033273/

Go Gophers!!

Newsome is a 3 star with offers from BC, Arkansas, Iowa, Iowa State, NW and others
Bussell is a 3 star with an Iowa offer
Furtney is a 3 star with Wisconsin, Mizzou, Nebraska, and Cinci offer
Mayfield is a 3 star with Iowa and Mich St offers
Haney is a 2 star (3 via composite)
Schmidt is not rated (3 star via composite) and has camped with us before
Vettorello is not rated (3 star via composite) and has Iowa and Iowa State offers
Evans is a 3 star and has Iowa and and Illinois offers
Ross is a 2 star (3 via composite) with an Iowa State offer
Torres is a 3 star with an Indiana offer
Thompson is not rated but appears to be making the camp rounds (visits mich st next)
Geil is a composite 3 star (no 247 rating) with Iowa and Iowa State offers
Johnson is a composite 3 star (no 247 rating)
Westfall has no ratings
McNeil has no ratings
Jackson is a composite 3 star (no 247)
Boles is not rated
St Jean is a 2 star via 247
Donald Johnson is a 247 4 star rated as the number 212 prospect (composite high 3 star and top 500 kid) with Iowa and Cinci offers

So on the out of state kids (we're going to let pretty much any instate kid camp regardless and many from neighboring states), we have via 247 rankings 1 4 star, 10 3 stars, 3 2 stars, and 6 guys not rated with 10 of them holding power 5 offers already.

The reason it looks rough is that there is minimal in state talent this year (3 guys with power 5 offers out of 12). I would say overall it looks pretty decent so far. Hopefully will manage to impress some people and land Donald Johnson and maybe 1 or 2 from in state. Have to imagine Sapp will be working them.

Is that other Johnson, RB Stevie Johnson? He is a beast, wouldn't be surprised if he moves up the ranks.

• Fleck has offered five-star prospect BJ Foster of Angleton, Texas, a 6-1 safety ranked as the 11th-best high school player in the country. Foster is expected to sign with Texas. The Gophers have never signed a five-star recruit in the modern star-ranking era (since 2000).

Not true. Hayo Carpenter was a 5-star according to Scout, as was Brandon Owens.

Some updates that I read about last night:

• Greg Newsome and Carlos Vettorello are re-scheduling their visit to the later March 25th Junior Day. Timing didn't work with Newsome as he has a 7 on 7 camp that he was already planning to attend, and Vettorello couldn't make it work due to the travel time. Goblirsch says that both are still high on the program and definitely want to visit that day.
  • Quinn Carroll will be attending again this weekend. His second visit within the last two weeks. Yes he's a 2019 prospect but building this relationship early is going to be huge given the competition he's going to command. I read both from Goblirsch and Doogie Wilson that Carroll is really hitting it off with Fleck and Warriner, so they've got that going for them....which is nice.

Some updates that I read about last night:

• Greg Newsome and Carlos Vettorello are re-scheduling their visit to the later March 25th Junior Day. Timing didn't work with Newsome as he has a 7 on 7 camp that he was already planning to attend, and Vettorello couldn't make it work due to the travel time. Goblirsch says that both are still high on the program and definitely want to visit that day.
  • Quinn Carroll will be attending again this weekend. His second visit within the last two weeks. Yes he's a 2019 prospect but building this relationship early is going to be huge given the competition he's going to command. I read both from Goblirsch and Doogie Wilson that Carroll is really hitting it off with Fleck and Warriner, so they've got that going for them....which is nice.

Quinn Carroll doesn't have a rating on 247, but man those offers, everyone is on that guy early....

Yeah, the 2nd event is supposed to be much bigger and have a lot of high level recruits. March 25th will fall around the same time as spring break for a lot of people so the travel/scheduling issues that are keeping some people from coming this weekend won't be as much of a problem. March 25th will also allow attendees to watch one of the spring practices.

Nemo- appreciate the info! I'm sure Burns and Goblirsh aren't too happy with ya but I don't care! Keep it coming me boy!

Nemo- appreciate the info! I'm sure Burns and Goblirsh aren't too happy with ya but I don't care! Keep it coming me boy!

I only subscribed to 247sports. I figured that I'm on that site the most, so I wanted to show my gratitude to them. Kyle is very approachable and has a ton of info. With this new approach to recruiting, there's a fairly constant stream of info. And I'm sure they know that it's part of the process that their subscribers will at least discuss their info outside of their site. The way I see it, it's word of mouth marketing for them. :p

I only subscribed to 247sports. I figured that I'm on that site the most, so I wanted to show my gratitude to them. Kyle is very approachable and has a ton of info. With this new approach to recruiting, there's a fairly constant stream of info. And I'm sure they know that it's part of the process that their subscribers will at least discuss their info outside of their site. The way I see it, it's word of mouth marketing for them. :p

I was a lurker for a few years here before signing up and posting. I feel like one of them (maybe it was Burns) was up in arms at one point because people were positing VIP stuff here. Maybe I'm completely rememring wrong though

I was a lurker for a few years here before signing up and posting. I feel like one of them (maybe it was Burns) was up in arms at one point because people were positing VIP stuff here. Maybe I'm completely rememring wrong though

Well, if Ryan gets upset we can call it even for him and his buddies yapping through most of Fleck's speech at the signing social.

Well, if Ryan gets upset we can call it even for him and his buddies yapping through most of Fleck's speech at the signing social.

WTF, that's pretty jerkish....

WTF, that's pretty jerkish....

Someone called him out on twitter about it and he apologized, but I was 10-feet from him and it was rather annoying. Not a big deal, just annoying.

Top Bottom