San Jose State UPDATED 12/27: San Jose St wins bowl game, finishes 11-2

Big Play

Reaction score
is ranked what are the haters going to say now that the gophs dont play anybody good in nonconf Schedule??

is ranked what are the haters going to say now that the gophs dont play anybody good in nonconf Schedule??

I agree they will be our toughest test in the non-conference. Take a look at their roster. They aren't losing a whole lot of players to graduation and should be tough when we play them but likely won't be ranked by the time we play them since they won't be ranked to open the season. I am sure we ill be underdogs. Let's not get ahead of ourselves though. We have a bowl game to play first and a couple of games before that one next season.

If they are ranked next season (IF), then it was a lucky draw of a team with some strength that still doesn't move the national or local needle (or my own) and if Kill & crew knew they'd be that tough when the game was scheduled they wouldn't have done it. I mean that in the sensor of helping us look like we're playing the "good" teams when it comes to poll ranking. I mean that in the sensor of playing a team with a reasonable history in football where fans would be excited to road trip to their campus (in this case it's home and home anyway). I mean it in the sense of getting fans excited to attend the home games (even if SJSU WAS ranked early in the season). I mean it in the sense of playing on a major network for the game helping team exposure.

Let's say SJSU ends up ranked 17th at the end of next season. We will not be in the BCS picture so I'm not sure why we will end up caring that we had a slightly tougher strength of schedule than anticipated. I'd rather play a similar strength team with a name people care about and a campus I'd like to visit.

Mike MacIntyre would be my choice for coach of the year. Awesome job at a program that gets very little support from the school.

Mike MacIntyre would be my choice for coach of the year. Awesome job at a program that gets very little support from the school.

Agree. I lived in Bay Area, San Jose included, from '91 to 2010, and the Spartans were flat out bad. Both the stadium and campus are a pit. It's a minor miracle what MacIntyre has accomplished in short order.

Agree. I lived in Bay Area, San Jose included, from '91 to 2010, and the Spartans were flat out bad. Both the stadium and campus are a pit. It's a minor miracle what MacIntyre has accomplished in short order.

Success without great facilities? Must be a mistake.

Good coaches will make an impact no matter what. The team gets little support from the administration. There was talk (early 2000's) of discontinuing the program. MacIntyre was handed keys to a Yugo and asked to compete at the Sonoma Raceway. That's why it's a minor miracle what MacIntyre has done.

Good coaches will make an impact no matter what. The team gets little support from the administration. There was talk (early 2000's) of discontinuing the program. MacIntyre was handed keys to a Yugo and asked to compete at the Sonoma Raceway. That's why it's a minor miracle what MacIntyre has done.

I love to see that kind of no excuses, go to war with the army you've got kind of attitude. Congrats to MacIntyre for a great season.

But but but if we get Maryland and Rutgers in the BT and all the extra $$, we can build MORE facilities and be better! Nevermind that schools not names Oregon have proven that they become relevant first and then upgrade facilities with the added money from fan support, not the other way around..

I wonder how good NIU's facilities are compared to ours. They made a BCS bowl game this year. Everyone keeps buying in to this mentality of spend spend spend and you'll win!

But but but if we get Maryland and Rutgers in the BT and all the extra $$, we can build MORE facilities and be better! Nevermind that schools not names Oregon have proven that they become relevant first and then upgrade facilities with the added money from fan support, not the other way around..

I wonder how good NIU's facilities are compared to ours. They made a BCS bowl game this year. Everyone keeps buying in to this mentality of spend spend spend and you'll win!

NIU made a BCS game as an at-large because they went undefeated in the MAC. Not quite the same as Florida receiving an at-large.

How much money was contributed from Oregon fans not associated with Nike?

As has been pointed out when this series was setup there was no thought given to SJSU being relevant in football all of the sudden. It is a program that has been a mess for some time now, their success this year (and to a lesser degree last year) really came out of nowhere. Maybe we can still buy our way out of this one as well.

Is it too late to get Macalester on the schedule instead?

From a local and even national perspective, this is probably a no-win situation for the Gophers. We win and it is "well you should beat a San Jose St." If we lose it's "they can't even beat some crappy school no one has ever heard of."

Of course, that's not true. But for the average person who doesn't pay that much attention to these type of programs, this is what they will probably think.

From a local and even national perspective, this is probably a no-win situation for the Gophers. We win and it is "well you should beat a San Jose St." If we lose it's "they can't even beat some crappy school no one has ever heard of."

Of course, that's not true. But for the average person who doesn't pay that much attention to these type of programs, this is what they will probably think.

That's why I was disappointed with the UNC cancellation. Win the game, fans get excited and non-fans raise an eyebrow of interest early on. You can even build interest in the game for said non-fans and get butts in the seats (Syracuse is a perfect example - a team people have heard of that can bring some interest in). Lose and people may be disappointed, but won't consider the program a laughing stock for it because the team is clearly one with a reasonable history (whether this logic is right or wrong, it is reality and the AD should be concerned with marketing to reality).

Looks like they'll have a new HC when they come here next season, per this tweet:

#Colorado plans to hire San Jose State head coach Mike MacIntyre, according to @SIPeteThamel

Go Gophers

plus don't they have DeLeon Eskeridge (sp?) in the backfield - I know its an ex Gopher

plus don't they have DeLeon Eskeridge (sp?) in the backfield - I know its an ex Gopher

Correct, Eskridge is there and led the team in rushing this year (992 yards and 10 TDs). However, he's a senior this year so I don't think he'll be around next season.

I also saw Bruce Feldman tweet something along the lines that San Jose St got a commitment from a WR yesterday who was on his official visit too. I know Drew Wolitarsky was on his OV this weekend there, anyone know if they had any other WR visiting there this weekend? Otherwise I would assume he was talking about Wolitarsky.

I also saw Bruce Feldman tweet something along the lines that San Jose St got a commitment from a WR yesterday who was on his official visit too. I know Drew Wolitarsky was on his OV this weekend there, anyone know if they had any other WR visiting there this weekend? Otherwise I would assume he was talking about Wolitarsky.

No. I am guessing that Feldman tweet was referencing Delvon Hardaway a WR who was also visiting that weekend and subsequently committed to SJSU.

I hope they are ranked when they come into TCF next fall!!

Does anyone know if they are graduating a lot of senior or is there team staying largely in tact? If the latter, they may have a pre season ranking after an 11-2 season.

Top Bottom