Which Gophers will the NFL draft this Spring?

Big Ten Championship

Reaction score
Can someone please post where our NFL ready players are projected to be taken in the draft?

CBS Sports NFL Draft Scout has:

Myrick-5th/6th round
Travis-7th round/FA
Pirsig-Listed but not ranked
Leidner-Listed but not ranked

And Mitch fell out of the 1st round.
Matt McGloin looked like a car accident his senior year at Penn State. He has spent 3 or 4 years in the NFL now.
I know the 1st round stuff was ridiculous, but I wouldn't count Mitch or Phillip Nelson out for a chance in the NFL.

My entirely uneducated eye likes Travis more than Myrick.

Agreed that Travis was a better football player. Heck, IMO Hardin was our best CB this year. Myrick has elite speed tho and the NFL loves to draft speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey If Travis falls to the 7th round I'd pick him up if I'm the Vikings! Could pair him with Harrison!!

Travis is the best football player by far in the current class, and he his fellow safety Antonio Johnson were two of my favorite Gophers of recent years. They were smart, hit hard, could run and always made the tackles.

Myrick has good size and great speed for CB, but his ball skills and judgment are not so great. I thought BBC, and a couple of the other guys in the secondary that emerged early in the Kill era were much better FB players (Cedrick Thompson, and the other guy #3, #13?) Murray was a much better CB as well. I think Hardin was better than Myrick as well, and I hope they can find a way to get him back.

Is Jack Lynn going to continue to give football a shot? He's got a big body and is a good leader. Anybody think he could make a roster?

I also agree on Travis being the best but like Spoof said...the NFL loves speed. Any idea why they took away Myrick's duties as the kick returner? He could contribute for someone in that role unless I missed his liabilities in that role?
Give him a hole he was gone. Not shifty but elite fast.

My guess is they took away the kickoff duties because we were so thin at CB for many games

How many have combine invites

Combine invites haven't been officially issued.

For Travis, I think it all boils down to his 40-time (handheld or electric). He tests well and he'll get drafted. He's a very good football player.

As others have said, Myrick is all about speed and he could stick as a kick returner if he can't be a full-time corner. Boddy-Calhoun has carved out a niche in Cleveland and I think Myrick is a tad more athletic.

As per Jack Lynn, I think he's a step too slow. Hard to say until he's tested, but he always seemed to be a bit late to the play in his role as MLB. No question he can really lay the lumber, but in the current touch football NFL, he may be too much of a throwback.

I'm guessing Leidner and Pirsig could get drafted on the third day. Pirsig has the specs and someone may see Leidner as a project worth pursuing. Switching sports, Leidner reminds me of a pitching prospect who can throw high-90s but can't find the plate consistently. There's always a coach or scout out there that thinks he can really elevate with the right adjustments. I'm guessing there's a QB coach out there that looks at Leidner and is thinking similar thoughts like "If I tweak this and tweak that, he may be somebody."

I think Travis will be a better pro, but I think Myrick is going to move up and be a hot prospect because of his speed.

Wouldn't it be nice if somehow one or two guys like Pirsig or Travis end up with the Vikes?

Wouldn't it be nice if somehow one or two guys like Pirsig or Travis end up with the Vikes?

Spielman likes to give MN tied kids a chance... track record speaks for itself even if it's just practice squad

My projection is Myrick 4th round, Travis 6th round, Pirsig, 7th round and Liedner 7th/UFA. Wolitarsky might get a camp invite.

Sort of related and I didn't want to start a new thread but the sign up to attend the combine just got released. Living here in Indy it is something I am going to check out. I just picked the session I wanted each day and within an hour had my confirmation and code to scan to get in.

https://2017combine.fishsoftware.com/prereg/

Sort of related and I didn't want to start a new thread but the sign up to attend the combine just got released. Living here in Indy it is something I am going to check out. I just picked the session I wanted each day and within an hour had my confirmation and code to scan to get in.

https://2017combine.fishsoftware.com/prereg/

Odd to me that Pirsig doesn't have an invite to the combine but Leidner does. Also surprised that Leidner has an invite over Chad Kelly from Ole Miss.

Kelly isn't there due to off the field issues. Same with Mixon from OU.
I think Travis has a great chance to stick, because he was a standout special teams player as well as being a great Safety

Odd to me that Pirsig doesn't have an invite to the combine but Leidner does. Also surprised that Leidner has an invite over Chad Kelly from Ole Miss.
They need QBs to run passing drills for receivers. If you didn't have enough QBs, you'd wear out the few that are there. Based on what I've seen projected, Pirsig is a very late round (like 7th) to priority free agent in the draft. The combine isn't a perfect predictor of who will or won't be drafted.
Good luck to both of them!

Mitch runs a 5.01 and a 4.94 40. Not helping himself there

Mitch runs a 5.01 and a 4.94 40. Not helping himself there

Yeah the two false starts were a bad omen. I'll be watching through my fingers. Not athletic enough to be a pass-catching TE and a history of suspect accuracy and decision making. Maybe he'll light it up in passing drills - going to record and watch later.

Top Bottom